• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75/2 clutch cable

cayuse60

Maine Rider
How do you remove the cable from the frame at the clutch lever end?:scratch I have disconnected from the lever, but can not get it to pass through the bigger hole in the frame. The swing arm blocks easy passage.
TIA

zip ties

Here was the issue on mine. Had to lift the tank up a little bit and get under it and find where clutch cable is "zip tied" w/ other cables and wires. Cut the zip tie and also use some greese to slide the clutch cable out. I would assume your instialling another cable. Use some electrical tape and wrap the two end together so when you're pulling out the one your are pulling in the new one at the same time.

attachment.php

See I hope attached picture. How do I remove the cable from here?
This is a useable cable I am replacing. Do I Have to destroy it to remove it?

Last edited:
How do you remove the cable from the frame at the clutch lever end?:scratch I have disconnected from the lever, but can not get it to pass through the bigger hole in the frame. The swing arm blocks easy passage.
TIA

Reading this post, I'm assuming you are talking about were the clutch cable attaches to the clutch arm behind the transmisson. In looking at the design of this attachment, I don't believe the cable pulls through this way. If you look at were it attaches to the lever at the handlebar you will find the round thing (now I'm showing my ignorance by not knowing what this is called) that fits into the clutch lever hole comes off the cable itself. Removing this should allow you to pull the cable down and out through the clutch arm.

Ralph Sims

Reading this post, I'm assuming you are talking about were the clutch cable attaches to the clutch arm behind the transmisson. In looking at the design of this attachment, I don't believe the cable pulls through this way. If you look at were it attaches to the lever at the handlebar you will find the round thing (now I'm showing my ignorance by not knowing what this is called) that fits into the clutch lever hole comes off the cable itself. Removing this should allow you to pull the cable down and out through the clutch arm.

Ralph Sims

I agree this is the way I have always pictured the removal and installation of the cable, but the transmission end of the cable will not thread out through the frame. The swing arm blocks it. :banghead
I know I am missing the obvious.

I could not open your attachment but I am assuming you are having trouble where the cable passes thru the transmission housing right above the swing arm, right?

The steps I follow are to (1) Slip the barrel off the clutch arm (at the tranny), (2) loosen the cable at the handlebar end and remove that barrel, (3) remove any zip ties, (4) with the cable completely free at both ends fish the tranny end up thru the transmission housing opening (yes it will go thru with no particular special effort), (5) pull the free cable down and out from the transmission end.

Ralph Sims

Forget this. I'm glad there are people more experienced than me on this forum.

Ralph Sims

I could not open your attachment but I am assuming you are having trouble where the cable passes thru the transmission housing right above the swing arm, right?

The steps I follow are to (1) Slip the barrel off the clutch arm (at the tranny), (2) loosen the cable at the handlebar end and remove that barrel, (3) remove any zip ties, (4) with the cable completely free at both ends fish the tranny end up thru the transmission housing opening (yes it will go thru with no particular special effort), (5) pull the free cable down and out from the transmission end.

The download did not make it to my attachments. Sorry.:banghead

Are you saying I can pull the cable up through (down) the transmission cable mount, or up, pulling the according cable cover and transmission end of the cable up and out?

Are you saying I can pull the cable up through (down) the transmission cable mount, or up, pulling the according cable cover and transmission end of the cable up and out?

The second ... the rubber boot and transmission end comes up thru the opening. I'm sure you have noticed that the opening is narrow where the cable normally rides and wider forward.

The slot at the back is a key hole. The rubber boot and cable end will go up through the larger round part of the key hole slot. BUT - the boot is nearly impossible to push through the hole. Pushing it makes it bunch up and get fatter. You need to carefully pull it up through the hole. I use needle nose pliers and a lot of wiggling to pull it up. Some silicone spray lie "wire dryer" or even WD40 makes the process easier.

The slot at the back is a key hole. The rubber boot and cable end will go up through the larger round part of the key hole slot. BUT - the boot is nearly impossible to push through the hole. Pushing it makes it bunch up and get fatter. You need to carefully pull it up through the hole. I use needle nose pliers and a lot of wiggling to pull it up. Some silicone spray lie "wire dryer" or even WD40 makes the process easier.

I tried pulling the old cable out as you described, but I couldn't beleive BMW would design it that way.
Thanks to you all...replacing the handle bars and all controll cables is not an easy job.:wave

Back