• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Word on Location of 2009 Rally

seems odd that zone V is so small and III so large. is this based on population density? And even taking that into account I would have thought that IL IN Ohio and WI and maybe Michigan would have fallen into zone V if one is looking a fair distribution for access/distance for members. I also see what looks like a zone for Canada?RM

It does seem odd. Zone V is smaller than California alone (I'm sure both in area and in membership). Also, area V has a very limited number of places that could handle the rally. The locations that would make a good rally don't have the facilities and the locations that have the facilities are always filled with tourists in July. I can only think of two locations in Virginia that might have enough lodging and not a lot of tourists in July. That would be Blacksburg (Virginia Tech) or Lynchburg (Liberty University) while classes are in summer recess. I don't think Lexington (VMI) would have enough lodging.

seems odd that zone V is so small and III so large. is this based on population density? And even taking that into account I would have thought that IL IN Ohio and WI and maybe Michigan would have fallen into zone V if one is looking a fair distribution for access/distance for members. I also see what looks like a zone for Canada?

RM

The Rally & Events Committee is looking at a revamping of the Zones. I have no insight into how they came to be assigned as they are now. :dunno

This is the area on the web site where the zones are listed: http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rallyprocess.htm

The rotation schedule has been subject to some recent changes which has kept it off the web site, and likely will be changed some more. Said another way - this is no guarantee, but as of now:

2009 Zone IV
2010 Zone I
2011 Zone VI
2012 Zone III
2013 Zone VII (central or western area)

There are plans for a possible rally in Canada?! Ohh... I'm not going to miss THAT one! :ca

There are plans for a possible rally in Canada?! Ohh... I'm not going to miss THAT one! :ca

Although listed, there is not much chance we'll do another Canadian rally for some time to come. It was a logistical nightmare of the third order. BMW's Mobile Tradition could not bring their bikes across the border and return them, vendors ran into major complications with getting their inventories over and then back, the restored red /5 never made it across the border due to Canadian Customs issues and it took a month to get it back from them after the rally. The list goes on.

Canada is a beautiful country and Canadians are great people, but we learned the hard way that the best way for a rally there is for it to be a local production.

My wife and I were in St. Louis a couple weeks ago, and stopped by the MOA headquarters for a visit. Ray asked if we were coming to Gillette and I said we couldn't but maybe next year's would be a better fit.

Jane very innocently asked, "so where IS next year's rally?"

It took ten minutes in the car to explain why everybody's jaws went :jawdrop

See you in Zone VI!

Although listed, there is not much chance we'll do another Canadian rally for some time to come. It was a logistical nightmare of the third order. BMW's Mobile Tradition could not bring their bikes across the border and return them, vendors ran into major complications with getting their inventories over and then back, the restored red /5 never made it across the border due to Canadian Customs issues and it took a month to get it back from them after the rally. The list goes on.

Canada is a beautiful country and Canadians are great people, but we learned the hard way that the best way for a rally there is for it to be a local production.

And it will be far harder for future rallies. The increased border security, increased requirements for passports, etc. will keep many of us from attending. The additional $100 or so plus the long lead time necessary to get a passport (for those of us that don't have or need one) would keep the late deciders and procrastinators from going.

And it will be far harder for future rallies. The increased border security, increased requirements for passports, etc. will keep many of us from attending. The additional $100 or so plus the long lead time necessary to get a passport (for those of us that don't have or need one) would keep the late deciders and procrastinators from going.

I don't want to be a smart-ass here but Canadians are always dealing with Customs generally and at 'rally time' specifically. Non issue really. The vendor question is very pivotal and, to make matters worse, our beer laws are sooooooo anal that beer tent activity feels almost fascist. - Bob

09 rally

I overheard, at a brewpub near moa hq's, that Fredricksburg, TX. is the next one. Now, since this involved hand brewed beer, mc riders and third party overheard info.--I am a believer. :drink

gypsy.jpg

that I should rely on scientific instrumentation and not listen to half baked truths
and rumors.

smileycrystalball.gif
compass.gif

It is too bad that there are such difficulties in holding a National in Canada. There are many awesome places to ride and rally (the lower prairies excepted unless you want to drag race all over because there are no curves). The beer tent may be a logistics nightmare, but the product is sooo worth it.

I sometimes have more difficulty getting back into Canada that I do getting into the States. Last Labour Day weekend the Canadian guard (a 20 year summer student) just couldn't wrap her head around the fact that I went for a 3 day ride around Minnestoa and South Dakota without having a firm destination or purpose in mind. "You just went for a ride!?!?!"

Oh well, US rallies are better for me because it lets me get to places I have not been before. Best of both worlds.

I don't want to be a smart-ass here but Canadians are always dealing with Customs generally and at 'rally time' specifically. Non issue really. The vendor question is very pivotal and, to make matters worse, our beer laws are sooooooo anal that beer tent activity feels almost fascist. - Bob

You're making my point. It is an issue. Many if not most Canadians already have a passport and are familiar with Customs and crossing the border is no big deal. To many of us in the US that are not near a border (1,000+ miles) don't currently have or have never had a passport and are unfamiliar with Customs. I would never go to the expense and trouble to get a passport just to go to a rally.

It is too bad that there are such difficulties in holding a National in Canada. There are many awesome places to ride and rally (the lower prairies excepted unless you want to drag race all over because there are no curves). The beer tent may be a logistics nightmare, but the product is sooo worth it.

I sometimes have more difficulty getting back into Canada that I do getting into the States. Last Labour Day weekend the Canadian guard (a 20 year summer student) just couldn't wrap her head around the fact that I went for a 3 day ride around Minnestoa and South Dakota without having a firm destination or purpose in mind. "You just went for a ride!?!?!"

Oh well, US rallies are better for me because it lets me get to places I have not been before. Best of both worlds.

I agree; there are LOTS of great places to go riding in Canada. If all goes well, I'm going to try to make some of the smaller rallies held up there. I also go camping up there each year, and I'm also working on meeting up with a Canadian rider I met on my James Bay trip.

As for customs, I find your comment about getting back into your own country funny. I actually find it terribly easy to get into Canada. Last year after the rally, I crossed near Thunder Bay. I was carrying a bottle of pepper spray (bears), and my bike was loaded down with gear. The girl was friendly to me the whole time, and I was quickly on my way. Crossing back into the US at Sarnia/Port Huron, it was different story. The customs agent asked me about everything he could; including why I needed to carry a gas can on my bike (244 miles without a gas stop, sir!). I generally find it works this way; easier for me to get into Canada than back into the US. Either the agents are more suspicious of their "own kind", or maybe this a "grass is always greener" situation. :ha

You're making my point. It is an issue. Many if not most Canadians already have a passport and are familiar with Customs and crossing the border is no big deal. To many of us in the US that are not near a border (1,000+ miles) don't currently have or have never had a passport and are unfamiliar with Customs. I would never go to the expense and trouble to get a passport just to go to a rally.

You're missing out on a lot of good riding and sightseeing by not riding in Canada! The passport is easy; print out the forum, fill it out, get some photos taken, and go to a post office that processes passports. They're good for 10 years; you might even decide to fly overseas or something. As for border crossings, it's pretty easy. Just don't try to carry a gun into Canada and you're all set. Pull up, answer a few questions, and drive on. Well, assuming you're not a convicted felon... that might hold you up. They even let my dog across without any issues. I get a printout of her vaccinations from the vet, but I can't remember them ever asking to see it.

:usa :ca

You're missing out on a lot of good riding and sightseeing by not riding in Canada! The passport is easy; print out the forum, fill it out, get some photos taken, and go to a post office that processes passports. They're good for 10 years; you might even decide to fly overseas or something. As for border crossings, it's pretty easy. Just don't try to carry a gun into Canada and you're all set. Pull up, answer a few questions, and drive on. Well, assuming you're not a convicted felon... that might hold you up. They even let my dog across without any issues. I get a printout of her vaccinations from the vet, but I can't remember them ever asking to see it.

:usa :ca

Josh,
You won't be allowed into Canada if you've ever had a DUI/DWI in the States - at any time. It's a felony in Canada. However...if you go through a process - and pay money - you can get some paperwork that makes it ok. I'm sure the money doesn't have anything to do with it. :rolleyes

Like with any border crossing (ie. coming into the US) you are at the mercy of the guard. Some years ago I crossed back into the US with four other US riders. Three of us were only asked a couple of questions and passed through. The guard for the fourth guy went through all his gear - took a half-hour or better.

Going to Trenton I got quizzed about if I had a gun. She asked if I did. "No". Do you own guns. "Yes". Are you an NRA member? "Yes". Then why should I believe you that you don't have a gun with you? "Because I am an NRA member I'm well informed about guns laws in both the U.S. and Canada, and I respect your right to make the laws in your country as you see fit." That made her happy and I was on my way.

Funny, floppp, that you mention the incredulous looks on the border agents' faces when you tell them that all you did was ride around for 3 days. I had a similar experience last August crossing from Alberta to Montana at Peigan. I had organized a Rounder get together in Pocatello, Idaho. The border guard just couldn't understand why I was going to Pocatello. I had to explain that it was approximately halfway between Edmonton where I live and San Diego where another Rounder lives. And she still had problems with Pocatello.

Coming back 5 days later, the Canadian border agents we a little on the crabby side for some reason. They didn't hold me up but you could just tell that they were in a foul mood for some reason or another.

Not enough venders will attend to our nationals,and that is a sorry shame. We had a great national in trenton in 02. rechecked with our exec and wewil not be asking.:banghead

Yeah, it's too bad about the vendors and the border what with Free Trade and all that (whoops, Hillary and Obama, the FT word just slipped out).

Whistler in the summer of 2010 would be awesome. All the brand new Olympics facilities nicely broken in and looking to recoup some of their costs. Maybe the exec could work a blanket deal with the feds and BC government for clearances. Who knows.

But knowing a bit about how govs work, it would be a major stretch for either or both the CRA and IRS to say "Show me your MOA patch and you get a free pass at the border."

Like I said before, I am always happy to head to the states for a ride. Just can't get enough biscuits with sausage gravy. Starts the day off right and lasts me till dinner.

Back