• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

max psi???

trmptrmrk

Enjoyed reading the thread on tire break in... thanks!

Another question:
A friend recently told me that he always runs his tires at the max psi listed on the tire, no matter what tire on what bike. Any thoughts???

:dunno

Thanks,
Mark

I have a friend who says the same thing, but I'd stay away from that. Assuming you have the same size tires that came on the bike, start with the owner's manual recommendations for various load conditions.

A good rule of thumb is the pressure should increase ~ 2 - 3 psi (give or take) from cold to hot; i.e., measure it stone cold, then go for a good 10 - 20-mile ride, then stop and measure it again (assuming constant weather conditions and loading). If your pressures are too high the tires won't warm up and the increase will be less than the above range. If too low, excessive sidewall flex will create internal friction and the increase will be greater than above.

Too much is definitely better than too little, but too much will cause harsh ride, premature wear in the center of the tread, and the lack of flex or 'give' could damage the carcass of the tire if you hit a sharpe object, like the edge of a pothole, etc. Of course, it could also save your expensive mag wheel if you REALLY WHANG it on a pothole -- your choice!

Hope this helps... John H

Back