Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Remove cassette player?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zimmerman MN
    Posts
    36

    Remove cassette player?

    Can the cassette player be removed from the oddments compartment? I'd like to make more room for a satellite radio with the CB in there. I'm sure I'll never use cassettes.

  2. #2
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    168
    Yep I took mine out. Started with the tiny screws around the housing and kept taking it apart. I didn't take off the control on my handlebar yet. I wanted more storage room.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zimmerman MN
    Posts
    36
    Well it looks like you can't take it out. There are far more wires going into the cassette player to only be a cassette player. It must also be the amplifier and radio. Oh well, I'll just have to find another spot for the satellite!

  4. #4
    Chairman of the hoard wmubrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    755
    Yes, it's much more than a cassette player as you found... I would think the tuning buttons and display would have indicated that?

    Anyway... I pulled the wires out of the compartment, coiled them up, and then zip tied them just in front of the compartment and to the faring - they don't show unless you really look for them. I completely removed the remote control. I left the antennae in place because it's better than having a hole in the faring. I covered the holes in the compartment with electrical tape and now have full use of the compartment.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zimmerman MN
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    Yes, it's much more than a cassette player as you found... I would think the tuning buttons and display would have indicated that?

    Anyway... I pulled the wires out of the compartment, coiled them up, and then zip tied them just in front of the compartment and to the faring - they don't show unless you really look for them. I completely removed the remote control. I left the antennae in place because it's better than having a hole in the faring. I covered the holes in the compartment with electrical tape and now have full use of the
    compartment.
    Tuning buttons and display? Those are on top, the cassette is in the compartment as a seperate unit!

  6. #6
    Chairman of the hoard wmubrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by joevano View Post
    Tuning buttons and display? Those are on top, the cassette is in the compartment as a seperate unit!
    K12? I was thinking K11....
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

  7. #7
    MysticRed
    Guest
    Yea, it would help to know the model!

  8. #8
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,693
    Jer,

    I'm moving this to its own thread.

    It's kind of useless on an 11 year old thread about a different subject.



    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  9. #9

    I pulled mine out. I just kept taking stuff off until those wires and the cassette

    Quote Originally Posted by JOEVANO View Post
    Well it looks like you can't take it out. There are far more wires going into the cassette player to only be a cassette player. It must also be the amplifier and radio. Oh well, I'll just have to find another spot for the satellite!
    My smart phone is now my stereo and communication device.

    came out 1200 LT 2000 and I have a ton more room than ever before. I basically could find no easy way to replace or remove or tap into the speakers and have settled on a bluetooth speaker on top that I battton down with velcro...

    Paul

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    boise, idaho
    Posts
    162

    radio removal

    Quote Originally Posted by JOEVANO View Post
    Can the cassette player be removed from the oddments compartment? I'd like to make more room for a satellite radio with the CB in there. I'm sure I'll never use cassettes.
    If you are referring to a K1100LT, the radio is easily removed from the frame with the "radio remover tool" If you don't have that, just make one with some stout wire. The wire ends slip into the holes found on the perimeter of the radio. Depress the tabs that secure it in the carrier and the radio slip up and out. You can see the instructions with illustrations in the radio manual. Google is your friend (sometimes).

  11. #11
    Supporting our Vets jers99lt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warrenville, IL
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Jer,

    I'm moving this to its own thread.

    It's kind of useless on an 11 year old thread about a different subject.



    Wondering if you're addressing this to me? I used this thread since it was related and shows that I actually tried to search first for an answer before taking the time of others.
    Now, where did you put my thread?

    Thanks,
    Jer
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 6); 97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night 'The Silver Knight'; 85 R80RT 'Lady in Red';
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

  12. #12
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,693
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  13. #13
    Supporting our Vets jers99lt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warrenville, IL
    Posts
    151

    Thumbs up

    Ty
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 6); 97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night 'The Silver Knight'; 85 R80RT 'Lady in Red';
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •