• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

flip up helmets

mgr1001

Going to replace my helmet with one of the Nolan flip ups.
Don't Know what all the different product designations stand for (Rapid +, Classic +, regular Classic, etc).
Would appreciate any advice on this.:dunno :D :confused:

mgr1001 said:
Going to replace my helmet with one of the Nolan flip ups.
Don't Know what all the different product designations stand for (Rapid +, Classic +, regular Classic, etc).
Would appreciate any advice on this.:dunno :D :confused:

As far as I know all of the Nolan N-100E models are mechanically the same. Mine is a classic and has a plain white color, and the others are just variations on the color or graphics themes.

Click here to read all about Nolan Helmets.

BTW I really like my helmet. It fits my round face well, is excellent on the cold and rain, and the insert for anti-fogging works great. If you use a tinted one you only need one faceshield since it's easily removeable and stores in a much smaller space.

Jim :brow

Make sure that the Nolan that you are buying has the one hand latch mechanism. I believe that the switch-over was fairly recent. I have an older Nolan which requires both hands to open and am considering a new one just for that new feature. Other than that, I have had several Nolans and have been very pleased. Nice fit and the price is very reasonable compared to some of the other brands out there!

SJC

Test ride the HJC before you purchase the Nolan. I believe it is lighter and may have less wind drag.
I tried the Nolan and did not care for it. I thought it a litttle too flexible and heavy. What is nice is that you do not have to remove your eyerglasses when you don the helmet.

Re: SJC

dzimbric said:
Test ride the HJC before you purchase the Nolan. I believe it is lighter and may have less wind drag.
I tried the Nolan and did not care for it. I thought it a litttle too flexible and heavy. What is nice is that you do not have to remove your eyerglasses when you don the helmet.

It's precisely because of the fact that I can put on my glasses over my helmet that I bought the Nolan.

For me, with a round head, the Nolan worked better. If you have a long face the HJC might work better for you.

As for the weight, I don't notice the few ounce difference, probably because I have a fat head. I also think the quality seems superior on the Nolan.

Just my $0.02.

Hello; I have been using the Nolan for a little over 2 years now, I bought it really cheap, as they were just new on the market and my local dealer thought it was a fad that wouldn't catchj on. I really like it, it is easy to get on and off isn't too noisy and is neutral aero dynamically. I wear glasses and quite often I don't take it off to go into stores or malls. Somehow the piece that the nose cover fits into got broken, it might have been one of the outdoor cats tried to eat it, but now the nose cover doesn't fit real well. I usually raise the front whenever I stop in traffic, and have locked it down only once or twice, just to see if it made things quieter. I have been riding since the early 60's and don't like helmets, but it's the law around here, so I have to wear something. I like the easy on and off and the flip up feature, but it gets hot on a warm day and then theres the storage factor, unless you carry it around with you. I found one that matches the colour of my BMW and doesn't look too bad I suppose. When I wear this one out, I'll look for another one with the flip up face, one with one lock not two like my Nolan.

When I bought my bike about a year and a half ago I needed to go ahead and buy two helmets one for me and one for the Wife. The dealership had Zeus helmets in the flip up style, since I wear glasses I really wanted a flip up style. These helmets were pretty inexpensive and I sorta like mine but since I have nothing to compare it with it hard to say. Mine fogs up easy but I just crack the shield a little bit and that takes care of that. Wind noise is really bad. Driving in Nebraska with strong cross winds it sometimes feels like my helmet will be yanked off. I just tighten up the chin strap.

Has anyone else...

ever noticed that flip-up helmets have a chin bar that is much closer to your chin, or is it just my perception?

On my Shoei, I have to stick my chin out to come close to touching the chin bar.

On every flip-up helmet I tried, the face closes with my chin pressed against the bar. Needless to stay, I don't have a flip-up.

jdcoffman said:
When I bought my bike about a year and a half ago I needed to go ahead and buy two helmets one for me and one for the Wife. The dealership had Zeus helmets in the flip up style, since I wear glasses I really wanted a flip up style. These helmets were pretty inexpensive and I sorta like mine but since I have nothing to compare it with it hard to say. Mine fogs up easy but I just crack the shield a little bit and that takes care of that. Wind noise is really bad. Driving in Nebraska with strong cross winds it sometimes feels like my helmet will be yanked off. I just tighten up the chin strap.

I bought a Zues first for the same reasons. It's not a bad helmet, but once I got the Nolan I haven't used the Zues since.

Back