• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bourbon Tour

bgoin

ibgoin
Has anyone ridden the bourbon tour in KY? With the planning that has been done so far we will be going through towns like Harrodsburg, Perryville, Lebanon, Bardstown, Clements, Lawrenceburg, Frankfort, etc. using back roads as we make our way to the various bourbon distillers. I know we will be doing some riding on Hwy 127 & 68 as IÔÇÖve been told those were great historical roads to travel. IÔÇÖm looking for any information of places we shouldnÔÇÖt miss, any suggested routes; great out of the way places to eat, etc. Also what kind of weather should we expect in mid May? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

bgoin,
May is a great time to ride in Ky. I rode to the Shinefest rally near Campbellsville from Paducah, camping a couple of nights, then on to Lexington last May. Weather was perfect. I went up 68 and all of it from Bowling Green on, is great. But the stretch from Lebanon on to Lexington, :clap. There you will find Perryville Civil War battlefield, Old Fort Harrod, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill and then on to the Palisades down to the Ky river and up and out again. Look for High Bridge, don't miss it. That area reminds me of the Blue Ridge parkway area. Stone fences, great winding, sweeping roads and all. Great horse country. Don't know what kind of cuisine you like but local fare abounds. As far as 127 goes, you seen one 4 lane you seen them all. Personally I'd go another way. Don't forget, most of the great bourbons made in Ky, are made in dry counties, go figure!

Clarification, the southern part of 127 before it becomes a 4 lane is in rich country, I was talking about the 4 lane part around Lexington and Frankfort being just another 4 lane. Still, pretty country.

Last edited:
Be sure to stop by the Woodford Reserve distillery. It's one of the few that has yet to become a 'factory,' and is a historic site. Really pretty country around there too.

If U stop at a Kentucky welcome center they will have brochures on all the distilleries and probably scenic routes in the areas they are in. :drink

I visited two distilleries: Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace.

The Buffalo Trace one was far more informative than the Maker's tour. It included some decent information about the history of bourbon, what makes bourbon and a tour of the aging barns. We also got to watch a barrel get drained and were encouraged to stick our fingers in the fresh bourbon for a taste. Afterwards, we got two tastes of Blanton's (chilled and room temp with a discussion of the differences) along with a wee taste of Rain, their vodka.

Maker's was nice, but much of it was geared toward selling souveniers.

Some pics I took are in this report, but if you're offended by a guy shooting you the bird in a photo, don't click on this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20968

:ha

And the Corvette Museum isn't far away, either.

BEWARE: Lots of distilleries are closed on Monday.

Bardstown

I did this a few years back. I used Bardstown as a base and did day trips to the distilleries, really worked out well. Bardstown in a nice little place. We were in a B&B, something with Rose in the name I think. Anyway, as part of the B&B in addition to the large main house they also have a couple small cottages and a very old "original" plantation house which is what we rented, reasonably too. They also have a nice little Wine Bar made form an old barn.

Buffalo Trace and Four Roses were my favorite tours, although all had something to offer.

A trip over to Ft. Knox and the Patton Museum is a very good time. It is a very nice part of the country to ride some back roads on, enjoy!

I used live in Versailles, KY outside of Lexington back in the late '90's and I always loved a lot of the older roads between Frankfort & Lexington on the north side of the interstate. In addition, out by Elizabethtown was always fun.

+1 for sure on the Woodford Reserve trip!

30216001_N25be-M.jpg

Be sure to stop by the Woodford Reserve distillery. It's one of the few that has yet to become a 'factory,' and is a historic site. Really pretty country around there too.

Riding near there in early June so will try and make it. Not enough time to linger on the roads described unfortunately. Thanks for the tip. (Veg, we will touch base as we roll through your neighborhood about a week later). -Bob

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. It just doesnÔÇÖt sound like we can go wrong on this trip and that there will be something for everyone: great roads, historical towns, good scenery and of course the distilleries.

Reanimated this thread

If anyone is interested in info on the Bourbon Trail or touring any distilleries, please contact me. I live in Frankfort, KY ( Buffalo Trace is downtown and Four Roses and Wild Turkey are about 15 minutes away).

They'll start cooking the sour mash soon and that heavenly aroma will fill the air!

Love me some Ky Bourbon!!
C

If anyone is interested in info on the Bourbon Trail or touring any distilleries, please contact me. I live in Frankfort, KY ( Buffalo Trace is downtown and Four Roses and Wild Turkey are about 15 minutes away).

They'll start cooking the sour mash soon and that heavenly aroma will fill the air!

Love me some Ky Bourbon!!
C

Have not done this in a couple years but it is a great ride for sure. I think my most memorable visit was riding up that lane into Maker's Mark with the fall leaves all around. Marvelous.....absolutely marvelous! Wish I had time this fall to go again!!

Back