• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

U Haul Motorcycle trailer! Anyone used it before?

B

bmw4life

I am planning to trailer my bike with the u-haul motorcycle trailer (http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=towing-motorcycle)from MI to NC during the Easter break. Have anyone used this trailer before? How well does it work at interstate speed? I know the posted max speed for all U-haul trailers is only 45 mph. Are there any concerns with going above that speed (70 mph)? I plan to trailer it with my Car. Would this trailer work fine?
I am sorry to ask a lot of question. This is my first time hauling my bike (R1200rt) on a trailer.
Thanks you.

I've used the U-Haul garden trailers, which look about the same, to transport bikes before. I had no problems at 65+ mph with them.

I have used one of their motorcycle trailer and it was O.K. I wasn't real thrilled with the small tires on the trailer though. It means the trailer does more bouncing around when the little tires hit a bump.

I have also used on of their open trailers that uses the tailgate as a ramp. Both trailers towed fine. And the 45mph they put on all the trailers is just lawyer crap.

Check the air pressure in the tires of the trailer you rent. On one of the trailers I rented one tire had 12 psi, and the other side had 50 psi.

i used the 5x8 enclosed several times
trailers just fine - 70 mph
only has two tie downs in front
two 2x4 along side the tires with scrap 1x's accross and one tie down
to the door close latch works perfect
pm me if you like more info
Steve

Steve

If you had a picture of that set-up posted somewhere it would be appreciated.

Steve

I looked inside of the enclosed trailers thinking that would be the way to haul a bike. The 2 flimsy tie down hooks inside the trailer where not anything I would trust MY motorcycles with. The triangle shaped hooks are open at the bottom. It would not take much force for the bottom of the hook to open up. When that happens your bikes gonna be laying over on its side. :cry

If I had one of those motorycle stands that the front wheel goes into then I would use the enclosed trailer. Set the wheel stand down in the front of the trailer, put the bike on it, and then use the 2 flimsy hooks to add some security.

Me, too.

I've used the U-Haul garden trailers, which look about the same, to transport bikes before. I had no problems at 65+ mph with them.

I brought my S home on an open U-Haul trailer that was really a garden trailer. Trailered it 350 miles to the site, 350 miles home with the bike on it, 65+ no issues at all. It worked very well, I'll not hesitate to do it again, if needed.

u-haul motorcycle trailer

I rented (for my 1100rt) their 4x8 flat bed that had been "converted" to haul motorcycles by cutting a notch in the front wall to accept the front tire. Ramp worked fine to get on/off the trailer but major concern was the balance (or lack of) over the trailer axle. Tongue weight was extreme enough that two of us could not lift the loaded trailer hitch off the tow vehicle. You may want to try to counter-balance the trailer or you'll be towing extreme tongue weight. The small wheels/tires give a rough ride.........U-Haul threw in an extra wheel for me in case of a flat seeing it was unlikely no one could service the tire otherwise. The one I used did not pull smoothly but that may have been unique to that unit. I agree with checking tire pressure on the trailer before towing. Reasonable rental price. jim

Motorcycle U-haul trailer

I am planning to trailer my bike with the u-haul motorcycle trailer (http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=towing-motorcycle)from MI to NC during the Easter break. Have anyone used this trailer before? How well does it work at interstate speed? I know the posted max speed for all U-haul trailers is only 45 mph. Are there any concerns with going above that speed (70 mph)? I plan to trailer it with my Car. Would this trailer work fine?
I am sorry to ask a lot of question. This is my first time hauling my bike (R1200rt) on a trailer.
Thanks you.

I have used that particular one a number of times for the motorcycle and it trails beautifully. I moved one of mine 300 miles at 65-70 with no problem. The one I had had 4 very secure tie-downs to the floor and the bike was very stable. For the considerable distance you are traveling it wouldn't hurt to add a couple of tie-downs. The one I used was an open with a high rail.

Good luck

Thanks for all the feedback.
Now I am a lot more confident with hitching the trailer.

u-haul trailer

I used one last spring to "hop" down to TN to pick up my wife's bike. I'd never pulled a trailer with my current vehicle, so I was a bit worried.

Most of the time, I did'nt even know it was there, they're so heavy and overbuilt that they track well.

Although posted that 45mph is the max speed, cruising at the speed limits of 65mph and 70mph was no problem. The trailer I rented had large diameter wheels, so I'm not sure where the 45mph limit is from.

I've used these to haul MC's and they work fine. I hauled a softail over 1000 miles with no trouble at all. You will hardly notice it is behind your car.

Don

I looked inside of the enclosed trailers thinking that would be the way to haul a bike. The 2 flimsy tie down hooks inside the trailer where not anything I would trust MY motorcycles with. The triangle shaped hooks are open at the bottom. It would not take much force for the bottom of the hook to open up. When that happens your bikes gonna be laying over on its side. :cry

If I had one of those motorycle stands that the front wheel goes into then I would use the enclosed trailer. Set the wheel stand down in the front of the trailer, put the bike on it, and then use the 2 flimsy hooks to add some security.

I recently bought my first BMW (r1100s) in Cleveland and hauled it 550 miles back to St. louis in an enclosed Uhaul 5X8 trailer. We used the 2x4 setup along the tires and additionally... four holes magically appeared in the bed of the trailer through which we installed eyehooks.
The bike never moved even 1 inch. This was easily a nine hour haul. No problems, and i was satisfied knowing the bike was enclosed. The motorcycle trailer they rent is listed as "local only" on their website. Not sure if that's true. Hopefully you get the trailer we had that had the hole already in the bottom... ;)

Thanks for all the feedback.
Now I am a lot more confident with hitching the trailer.

Hey 4 Life -

Strongly advise against using a U-Haul rental trailer. Instead of renting, buy a trailer from the area you're leaving, and sell it once you arrive at your destination.

That way, you pretty much move your bike for "free." :type

J.K. :wow

P.S. Make sure the trailer has had regular use and good tires. Yard ornaments are seldom "good" deals, and seized hubs and blown tires aren't fun.

I used a trailer similar to what Jademe described to transport a HD Sportster from Lake Ocachobee in S FL to Jacksonville, FL. Went along I-95 at 70mph with no problem.

U-Haul

I used one to pick up my 98 RTP last winter during storms when riding was not an option. It is a "local" only rental, which means you have to pick it up and return it to the same place. I got the trailer the night before the trip, left early, got home and unloaded and returned the trailer within the 24 hour period.

I pulled it behind a 95 Dakota with the 3.9 engine. I normally got 15-17 mpg. With the trailer empty it dropped to 14 and when loaded, 11 mpg. It was a 400 mile round trip. Most of it above the "45 mph" limit. It tracked well but was heavy.

Mark

i just pull my friend GW on one of U haul trailers when his truck broke down 70 miles away.i pulled with ford mustang with v8 so power was not a issue,didn't pay to much attention to fuel milage but tracks great behind my car.the only issue i had is my car flasher was not working properlly.i guess i need to replaced with hevy duty one when im pulling a trailer.

U-Haul Trailer

I've used them a few times. the ones I got were a little fugly but they pulled great. Went back and forth to Sarasota from Jakcsonville Fl 3 times. Never had a problem.. I'd use them again anytime..

U-Haul

coffeeguy
thats funny - the 3 times i've rented the 5X8 4 holes developed
i'm waiting for the day i rent one and they're already provided for
my 3 + ur 1 - 4 are out there somewhere

I've used them twice.

The 2nd time was to bring the beemer home from its former owner - no issues on the PA Turnpike at 70+.

The first time was to being home a Suzuki Boulevard. About a mile into the return trip, the weld that attaches the tongue to the box broke, and only the brackets holding the axle kept the thing together for the 50-mile, nervous ride home on the turnpike, although I did use an extra tie-down to try to substitute for the weld. The guy at U-Haul refunded my money....

Back