• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

name this hazard

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

Anybody have a story to tell about on of these?

They come in all widths in pipe spacing/size and quality. We still have some installed on major County roads, even more on back county roads thru ranches.Just happens to be some of the funner riding areas of course.I was our riding last Friday and snapped a few pics of my friends in waiting. This one is typical for here and even with road surface...a lot are not and will jar the senses out of you.

My sister in law was up in Austin two years ago for a riding weekend on her Kawasaki Cruiser. Had been riding for about a year and a half.We decided to head out to the Willow City Loop and Enchanted Rock areas. Weather was typical spring here with showers in area and lasting only a few minutes. It had rained ahead of us and the roads were dry except near the shoulders and painted lines. On the Willow City Loop, there are multiple twisty turns with you guessed it, a cattle guard at the apex of the turn in a few spots. Karen had cleared at least 5 before the oddball one bit her. Top of a rise, 45 degree right turn and the spacing and diameter were not standard. Only traveling around 10-15 MPH when the bike decided to slide away...I watched in the mirror in what seemed like super slow motion as she went down. Wearing full gear, she hit her head hard enough to knock her out...Due to the terrain, no cellphones were working and after she came to and vitals looked fine, I drove (raced)back to local store to call 911, leaving Helen and my brother to monitor her and listen to her ask about the bike. The helicopter was there in a very short time, and they transported her to Austin. She had shoulder surgery a few months before this and of course landed on THE shoulder. We had several riders of other makes stop and help secure the scene( several LEO's in one group) Her bike lost some paint & lights, but her being OK erased any concerns about that.
I look at these hazards differently now and straighten up a bit more than I used too. Always treated them like RR tracks, but after looking at some of the 1940's era ones, I really look closer now, especially when it's wet.

As a side story, my bike was in the landing zone as I was down near Karens bike with the DPS trooper filling out forms. The rotor wash blew my RT over! Landed on it's side after scraping the barbed wire fence against the windscreen...the pilot came over later and said he was a BMW rider and sure hated to be the cause of that! I said no problem...will tell everyone the helicopter did it! Ran in to him at the BMW shop a month later in his flight suit...asked him if he had been to Willow City recently...he hung his head and said " that was you?" we laughed since the real story was a rider walked away from that day.

Attachments

• CattleGuard.jpg
    CattleGuard.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 269
We have 'em on some of the roads I have driven on in Wisconsin, but I have never had a bad thing happen. On an apex and wet, I would have gone down also.

Cattle Guard..got em out here in Arizona where I live. I cross one everyday getting on the freeway. Rear tire looses traction if I get on the throttle.

Thanks for this note of caution. It is quite likely that we will come across some of these in our travels this summer. Knowledge is powerful but not foolproof. -Bob

Cattle guard! I was in Austin and then Hill Country for a few weeks on vacation once.

Otherwise, I'd have had no clue!

My question is......why do they always put them in the middle of a curve?:scratch QUOTE]

There is one on RM 1431 leaving Lago Vista headed out to Marble Falls...60MPH and it appears in middle of a curve...no way to line up and go straight...just tighten the cheeks a touch and ease up.Used to be cattle country,now a very busy two lane road.

I crossed one this afternoon near Dripping Springs...Helen said it raised up as I went across it about a foot! YIKES! That one is marked in my mind now! Most are on private ranch land but have county roads thru them . Maybe the local counties maintain them now,not sure, there are a lot of them out here.

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 166
Be glad these are modern Cattle Guards. The old ones had the pipes running parallel with road.... Front tire drops in and **it happens quick...

Some of the original units meant for narrow front tractors had a strip in the middle and a strip on each edge foot or more in between them. These also caused OH **it moments.

Words of caution on cattle gaurds in Wyoming

For all of you that are headed to WY for the International Rally. WY has tons of cattlegaurds (mostly on the secondaries) You may even get to see some that are just painted on the pavement too! That much paint can cause a disaster also. You learn young in Wyoming, take em straight on and straight up ...or else!

i really dont like this type of cattle gaurds.... the round pipe types are even dangerous for cars if wet.... normally here in Colo... they are the square stock (or recycled R&R rails) that at least give you a bit of a flat surface.... worst one i ever dealt with was in Ozzyland.. on the Rabbit/Dingo Fence thing had a 3 m drop through the rails and the rails were a good 8-10 inches apart to stop the dingos from getting across... just close enough to get a normall car tire across it... .. I turned around and hit it going 50mph just to make sure i was over it before anything could happen...

I've never seen one anywhere I've ridden, and I'm glad. It reminds me of a story in either "Proficient Motorcycling" or "More Proficient Motorcycling" about a rider having their tire fall into a groove where a construction crew misplaced a steel sheet to cover a large hole in the road. It's so hard to watch out for road hazards like that, sometimes. I almost got bit last year riding in an area I've covered thousands of times. I came around a curve to find they were spreading tar and then lots of fine gravel over the top; covering the whole lane. I hit the brakes and managed to lock the rear for a moment; a near high-side. I saved it... not sure if that was luck or skill... maybe both. Driving through town I'm noticing MASSIVE amounts of road damage from the freeze/thaw; lots of potholes that could throw an inattentive rider for a loop. Be careful out there!

Not Trying To Sound Dumb - Really!

Ya'all been calling these contraptions 'cattle guards.'

Guarding the cattle from what??? What exactly is their purpose?

Not trying to sound dumb - just not sure what they are supposed to be accomplishing? How do they work?

I have many things yet to learn in this life, and never pretend to know everything. I have always treasured the response Albert Einstein gave to a pesky news reporter, pressing him for what it must be like to be the world's smartest man.

Einstein replied "Try to remember, young man, we are all ignorant - just about different things."

Steel and tires don't mix

Only time I dropped my /5 was when I crossed RR tracks after a rain shower. RR tracks were on a diagonal to the roadway.

Bad juju.

The moocows won't walk on the steel so the guards act like a fence extension. You get the benefits of a gate without having to get out of the pickumup truck.

You may even get to see some that are just painted on the pavement too! That much paint can cause a disaster also. QUOTE]

I saw my first painted guard on River Road closer to Presidio,TX...and even with a dry road, the desert sand sitting on it can make it quite slick...I was waiting for the rumble of the guards pipes as I passed over it and it just kinda whooshed!:laugh What was that?and WHY? Maybe the cows are that easy to fool? We used to look for rattlers in them...why, I don't know, we were boys!

There are a few old square concrete ones with some really worn edges , most are 3 or 4 inch steel pipe. And in a lot of cases , the fences are long gone, these remain until they fail I assume. The one my sis in law got was made of 5" pipe spaced 10" apart...it is the oddball on that particular road. Thank goodness I have not seen the parallel with the road ones...yet.

Perpendicular straight path is a must if these are wet!

as mentioned they span the road so no gate is needed between pastures. the cows will not get on the round pipe, when they do...they are in a bad way. Only seen that once many years ago and I think he got spooked into the thing.

Ya'all been calling these contraptions 'cattle guards.'

Guarding the cattle from what??? What exactly is their purpose?

Not trying to sound dumb - just not sure what they are supposed to be accomplishing? How do they work?

I have many things yet to learn in this life, and never pretend to know everything. I have always treasured the response Albert Einstein gave to a pesky news reporter, pressing him for what it must be like to be the world's smartest man.

Einstein replied "Try to remember, young man, we are all ignorant - just about different things."
A cattle guard creates an opening in a fence line allowing vehicles to pass freely but not allowing cattle or other livestock to do so. Cattle would be unable to cross because their hoofed feet would not have enough support on the grated structure. They are more common in the western United States and Canada due to the vast grasslands used as pastures. In the east the grazing land is smaller and any opening in the fence a farmer would need to allow livestock to cross.

Cattle guards protect animals the same as a fence denying them access to forbidden property and danger zones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_grid

My question is......why do they always put them in the middle of a curve?:scratch QUOTE]

There is one on RM 1431 leaving Lago Vista headed out to Marble Falls...60MPH and it appears in middle of a curve...no way to line up and go straight...just tighten the cheeks a touch and ease up.Used to be cattle country,now a very busy two lane road.

I crossed one this afternoon near Dripping Springs...Helen said it raised up as I went across it about a foot! YIKES! That one is marked in my mind now! Most are on private ranch land but have county roads thru them . Maybe the local counties maintain them now,not sure, there are a lot of them out here.

Oh yeah...I know exactly the one you're talking about on 1431...went over that one just this last weekend.....on certain days I just cringe as I go over....ugh!

Back