• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK where does this connect to???

RJM2096

I have the body panels off of my 2000 R1100RT and noticed this vacuum line with no connection. It was just hanging loose.

Does any one know where it goes to or what it is for??? :scratch

Attachments

• VacuumHose.JPG
    VacuumHose.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
looks like it might be the vent line that runs from one side of gas tank to the other, and Ts down past the battery. look for a spigot on the tank (probably near the front, along a lower edge) that is not connected to anything.

Tank vent or the drain tube for the gas cap either way the connection is under the tank.

Tank Removal

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I would not have to remove the tank....it is full of gas. But it looks like I might have to. Again, thanks :thumb

Is the charcoal canister still on the bike to the rear of this? Looks like the hose from the solenoid to the "T" going to the throttle bodies. Someone may have done a "canarestomy' and left that hose in place

I cannot see if the throttle body has a cap on the fitting in that pic. If it does and the canister is gone, just back up to the fixed end and remove it from the solenoid

If you trace it and tell me where one end is connected I can tell you where the other end goes. But there are several possibilities, and it's just guessing without knowing where the connected end is connected!

that's the USB plug:laugh

listen to paul, find out where it goes/ends up. it does look more like vent hose than fuel line though.

It looks to me that the 2 vent lines that run from the round fuel pump plate under the tank are not running along the frame, just under where the rear of the tank bolts down,and it looks like that bolt is missing(just in front of the seat).On my 97 rt there are 2 metal pipes that come out of the fuel pump plate and connect to vent hoses.

I am looking again.

The hose is definitely a vent line. It is routed to drop down behind the brake pedal. So it probably goes to the gas tank one way or another. But I do not see where it goes or if it is long enough to reach. This is a used 2000 R1100RT so maybe it has been modifed. I have been avoiding pulling the tank because it is full and do not want to mess with the fuel line connections.

Thanks LOWRIDER for putting me on track.

Any suggestions?

If you go to the front of the bike and look in on your left under the tank you will see the access plate to fuel pump.Just behind the 5/16 hose and a little above it are the pipes for the vac hoses,I couldn't get them in the picture.But if you feel back there you'll find them,are there any hoses connected?Or shine a light back there from between the forks and you might see them.

Attachments

• Picture 184.jpg
    Picture 184.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 146
As mentioned in the above posts, it's probably a tank or tank filler-neck vent. However, it looks like a smaller diameter tube in the picture. Is it an unused battery vent hose left over from replacing a regular battery with a gel or AGM battery?

given the length & location of the hose, i'd vote "no way jose'" that it's an unused battery vent line. very much wrong location, tho diameter looks about right.

given the length & location of the hose, i'd vote "no way jose'" that it's an unused battery vent line. very much wrong location, tho diameter looks about right.

Actually, it looks about as long as mine did before I removed it after replacing the regular battery with a gel cell. It had to be long enough to go up to the top of the battery on the left side of the bike. It's too long to connect to one of the vent line "mid-connectors" and too short to reach the fuel pump access plate on the tank. So, I don't think it's a fuel vent line. Again, the diameter is typical of the battery vent.

Actually, it looks about as long as mine did before I removed it after replacing the regular battery with a gel cell. It had to be long enough to go up to the top of the battery on the left side of the bike. It's too long to connect to one of the vent line "mid-connectors" and too short to reach the fuel pump access plate on the tank. So, I don't think it's a fuel vent line. Again, the diameter is typical of the battery vent.

yes, but that vent is on the right side of the bike, not the left. (battery location on my 11S is behind the tank, under the nose of the seat- the "classic" BMW battery position- so the apparent position of this one is very wrong from my perspective.)

so Rob- it's one week later from your original post. What did you discover (other than the realization that we have more opinions than any number of polticians)?

so Rob- it's one week later from your original post. What did you find?

I apologize for being so slow. I am working on it over the weekend. It has been frustrating.

The reason I am concerned is that the cycle seems to stumble when warm and first starting up from a dead stop. It runs great when cold and at higher speeds. It has a little lopping at idle which gets worse the longer it sits at idle. I was hoping a vacuum leak would be all it is. But after what advice you have provided me it looks more like a vent issue rather a vacuum leak.

Last edited:
yes, but that vent is on the right side of the bike, not the left. (battery location on my 11S is behind the tank, under the nose of the seat- the "classic" BMW battery position- so the apparent position of this one is very wrong from my perspective.)

If I recall correctly, on both my 1150RT and my 1150R, the battery vent hose went from the left upper edge of the battery where the vent is located, down the left side of the battery, across the bike to the right side behind the battery, and ended behind the right brake petal with all the other vent hoses. When pulled out from the battery tray and extended along the right side of the bike, the length is as pictured. It seems more likely to me that a previous owner would leave a battery vent hose unattached after switching battery types than to leave a tank vent hose disconnected. The original poster can look on his bike and see if there is a battery vent hose, two tank vent hoses, and two overflow hoses from the ABS pump, if so equipped.

If I recall correctly, on both my 1150RT and my 1150R, the battery vent hose went from the left upper edge of the battery where the vent is located, down the left side of the battery, across the bike to the right side behind the battery, and ended behind the right brake petal with all the other vent hoses. When pulled out from the battery tray and extended along the right side of the bike, the length is as pictured. It seems more likely to me that a previous owner would leave a battery vent hose unattached after switching battery types than to leave a tank vent hose disconnected. The original poster can look on his bike and see if there is a battery vent hose, two tank vent hoses, and two overflow hoses from the ABS pump, if so equipped.

well, if that's the correct routing, then i'd agree that there's a real good probability for it being a "used to use it" batttery vent hose. nevermind.

Back