Thread: ATE caliper pin removal advice

ATE caliper pin removal advice

Trying to finish up the maintenance on this PO'd bike................aligning the pads should be an easy process........I thought..............Have read somewhere to grease the pin.............In addition, the caliper seems to rattle somewhat on bumpy roads so I think that something is not right..............Did get a new O ring for the top end of it..................Problem is getting that pin out...............

I should have known something was wrong when to remove the cap noticed that the head of the cap was kinda wrench messed up.............got it off intact though...........Used the bolt that tightens up the pinch bolt on the axle into the pin a very long way.............vice grips on the bolt to remove it and nothing...........tapped pretty good with a ball peen onto the vice grips.......no movement..................the pin does turn.........VERY STIFFLY...............

So..........how to get that pin out..............I hate to have to remove the caliper and work on it at a bench................just bled the brakes.............gotta be some way to do this...........heat???................does the wheel need to be off?????

Thanks.........Dennis

As an aside...............how much should the pin turn in order to see the felt marker rubbing move from the top of the disc to the bottom..........1/2 turn???.........

Did as on airheads by going one way till the pad was rubbing at the top........then backed off the other way till it was rubbing on the bottom.......yes, I am putting the marks on the INSIDE of the disc...............then turned back maybe 1/4 of a turn to be in the middle.........I get a rub mark all the way across that way...............

While fooling with this, at one point the wheel turned super freely; but then at the same time I lost all of the lever........pulled all the way back to the handle............it did pump up.................NOW I have mucho friction on the wheel so will pull the tank, bleed, and adjust.................what happened????

Don't forget your towel
    The pin is spinning so at least it's not corroded into place. You might try pulling the pads out to give the caliper a bit of "wiggle room" while you are messing around down there but I don't think you should have to remove the front wheel.

The eccentric bearing pin itself pulls straight down out of the fork leg, back out the bolt you put in there enough to get a small prybar under the head and lever it out. There should be an o-ring in a groove on the lower section of the bearing pin so you are working against that bit of friction as well as whatever crud has built up in there..

Worst case I guess you could pull the fork, turn it upside down and squirt some Liquid Wrench (or your favorite solvent) in the cavity at the bottom of the fork and the upper socket for the pin.

I use anti-seize when re-assembling
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Thanks Steve................I ended up using some washers as spacers against the bolt head and against the houseing of the caliper............got it started out and then it "popped" out with a vice grip on the head and then a ball peen to tap the vice grips.................

Really cruddy in there..........had ordered a new O ring..........the old one broke in 3 places getting it off.............cleaned up really nice though...............had a booger of a time getting the pads to adjust so that the inner one was in line with the disc..........but got it finally..................Anyway.........back together and time for a ride................

Dennis