Thread: R1100RT Oil Cooler Grill\Stone Guard

FRITZ1

R1100RT Oil Cooler Grill\Stone Guard

Are they available for the R1100RT?
    Has anyone got one?......installed one?........or made one? Stainless, aluminium?

ltownsend
    I went to my local scrap metal dealer, found a 1/8" stainless steel wire mesh 16" square, cut it to fit, bent it all the way around the oil cooler with a bit of epoxy on top to hold it together, and put the oil cooler back in. Works great, looks great, cost me less than $10.00. Ltownsend

Retired User
    Wunderlich has one. You can see it at www.bmwsantacruz.com.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    2015 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1 View Post
    Are they available for the R1100RT?
    Has anyone got one?......installed one?........or made one? Stainless, aluminium?
    I've got a piece of perforated stainless steel about 1/16" thick x 7" x 3-1/8". Perfs are 1/8". If those dimensions would work for you you can have it.

billpierce
    I made one for my S out of stainless mesh. Be sure to use material that has plenty of open area to avoid overheating issues.

The material I used came from http://www.mcnichols.com/ and has 77percent open area.

I do have a little left over, you can PM me and I will send you a piece

Quote Originally Posted by billpierce View Post
    Very nicely done! How did you attach it?

billpierce
    I bent a 1/4" lip all the way around it, then dabbed a little epoxy on for good measure.

FRITZ1
    Thanks for the ideas!.......and the offers of material!
    I have found a piece of perforated Stainless Steel that I can mount to my oil cooler!
    Fred

FRITZ1
    I just did some calculating after Bill mentioned "77 percent open area"!!!!!........turns out I will only get 37 percent if I use the perforated stainless sheet (1/16" thick x 7" x 3-1/8". Perfs are 1/8")!

Stainless mesh it is!!

Bill.......which mesh did you get? The McNichols site is awesome! I will need to find a Canadian site!

Fred

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650 chrismiii's Avatar

need some steel

Quote Originally Posted by billpierce View Post
    I made one for my S out of stainless mesh. Be sure to use material that has plenty of open area to avoid overheating issues.

The material I used came from http://www.mcnichols.com/ and has 77percent open area.

I do have a little left over, you can PM me and I will send you a piece

Would really appreciate a left over chunk for my r1100rt - do you have enought left you could send me a some?
    Chris

billpierce
    [QUOTE=fritz1;299873]I just did some calculating after Bill mentioned "77 percent open area"!!!!!........turns out I will only get 37 percent if I use the perforated stainless sheet (1/16" thick x 7" x 3-1/8". Perfs are 1/8")!

Stainless mesh it is!!

Bill.......which mesh did you get? The McNichols site is awesome! I will need to find a Canadian site!

Fred[/QUOTE

They used to have an online catalog but I don't see it on their site anymore. They will send you a catalog free.

I bought the screen I have a long time ago so I don't exactly remember. I think it was # 8 mesh stainless.

FRITZ1
    Thank you Bill.