• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Brake Pads

1024JLC

I am sure this has been beaten to death a number of times, but I want to make sure that I am fitting the proper brake pads on my 02' R1150RS. As I understand, or I think understand, the rear pads should be organic for my bikes year. I think from what I have read, the 03 and 04 RRS's should be sintered pads for the rear. Can anyone confirm this? I looked on Beemerboneyard, and they indicate the sintered pads are a fit for "all R1150RS's", which I believe are a harder compound than organic pads, and I do not want to run the risk of eating my rear rotor away.

Thanks in advance for input.

I am not 100% sure about this but I believe sintered is all there is anymore. I could very well be wrong. I have only ordered pads once. Just got the OEM ones from the dealer.

I went through a couple of sets of EBC brakes. Their grip was marginally better, but they didn't last as long as the OEM. In the end I think the EBCs ended up costing more. I'm switching back to OEM brake pads.

From looking around a little more, looks I can get OEM from Chicago BMW for $54.40/Front and $67.20/Rear, or a little more than 20% off from other dealer sites I have looked at so far. Thanks.

I bought mine from Hammersly in Lynchburg, VA. I believe they had great prices too.

I went through a couple of sets of EBC brakes. Their grip was marginally better, but they didn't last as long as the OEM. In the end I think the EBCs ended up costing more. I'm switching back to OEM brake pads.

EBC organic have not lasted too long for me. EBC sintered have. they sell them at my local BMW dealer (both varieties) cheaper than stock. organic are dusty, wear faster and are claimed to not wear the rotor as fast. sintered are supposedly "harder" on the rotors, but from what i can see, do everything better, cleaner, without too much wear.

buyer beware, EBC sintered for me.

EBC organic have not lasted too long for me. EBC sintered have. they sell them at my local BMW dealer (both varieties) cheaper than stock. organic are dusty, wear faster and are claimed to not wear the rotor as fast. sintered are supposedly "harder" on the rotors, but from what i can see, do everything better, cleaner, without too much wear.

buyer beware, EBC sintered for me.

That's good info. I used the organics. Maybe I'll try the sintered next time.

I tried EBC Kevlar on my R1200C and had more black brake dust and squealing than ever before. Was told by the dealer NOT to use sintered as the metallic fibres chew up rotors, which are substantially more money to replace than pads. Went back to BMW OEM pads, which obviously cost more money, but have performed much better.

The last set of scooter brakes I installed were FRom LBR.

Lyndell (sp) Racing Brakes. Very clean and quiet and only $45 for the rears.

I have used SBS brake pads on my 94 R1100RS since I first replaced the stock pads, and still using SBS at 127,000+ miles. Good overall performance, no squealing, no chatter, good rain braking, exceelant wear, good price. I have never had a reason to use another brand, especially the OEM pads.

Back