• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wow I do not know what to think!

Was your sig line compliant otherwise?

Your sig line can contain a maximum of 3 lines, including line spaces, 150 characters and 2 hyperlinks. The text must use the forumÔÇÖs default style text, no embellishment, formatting, photographs or other graphics.

Did you ask the mod why it was changed?

My sig was a lot more compliant than many still on the bbs right now. It was non commercial, had no links, no photos and didn't extend to cover with one line for each of the many motorcycles I have ever owned / riden. It even identified who I was with moa number too. I have absolutely no doubt how, why or who modified it, particularly given the timing of the deed.

Why the anonymity?

OK. Been reading the forum for a while, but I don't have enough time to spend keeping up with everything here every day!

I have to ask, why is it that a complete signature (full name and location at least) is not required on every post? And, to go with that, full names and probably 'MOA numbers should be visible on every member's profile. Even some of the moderators don't have their full names included. How come?

Those of you who have been active on the Forum since its inception probably know who all the participants are by their screen names. But not everyone else does. I think that if you are going to post material in this public place you ought to be willing to identify yourself. I believe that this step would contribute to a more civil atmosphere around here as well.

Well, back to the rest of my life. Thanks for listening.

OK. Been reading the forum for a while, but I don't have enough time to spend keeping up with everything here every day!

I have to ask, why is it that a complete signature (full name and location at least) is not required on every post? And, to go with that, full names and probably 'MOA numbers should be visible on every member's profile. Even some of the moderators don't have their full names included. How come?

Those of you who have been active on the Forum since its inception probably know who all the participants are by their screen names. But not everyone else does. I think that if you are going to post material in this public place you ought to be willing to identify yourself. I believe that this step would contribute to a more civil atmosphere around here as well.

Well, back to the rest of my life. Thanks for listening.
I couldn't agree more, Tim, and welcome to the forums on your first post.

A while back, maybe 18 months ago, there was a call for more transparency in members' online personae. Nothing official or mandated, mind you, but more than a few participants voluntarily updated their signature lines and profile details to include names, locations and current motorcycle(s). That's the time that I learned the names of many "regulars" on the forum: It was nice to finally be able to know I was participating in a discussion with John, Gail, Mark or Lee, rather than with their screen or "usernames".

I prefer to be addressed by either my first or last name (my first name, btw, is Jonathan), am proud to let folks know where I'm from and should I need assistance with a technical issue, clearly label the motorcycle that I ride.

However, I feel that none of this should ever be made mandatory. It's a privacy issue and while I prefer to see proper names and locales, it really should be for the member to chose how much of their personal information is displayed on the Internet: many of these pages are visible to search-engines and I for one would not want my member number, my full name and my vehicular possessions cached somewhere on Google, for anyone to see—be they innocently interested party, potential burglar or malicious hacker—for time immemorial.

But again it is nice to know that the person I'm having a virtual handshake with isn't the serial number of a Maytag washer-dryer or some arcane character from an old Mel Gibson movie, but has a first name and comes from a real place that I can identify on a map.

:deal

Back