Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Zumo mounting options on a GS

Looking for Zumo mounting options on a GS

Hello people,

I'm looking for ideas to mount a Zumo 550 on an R12GS. I just bought one and need your collective wisdom. Not sure if I want it on the handle bar or not. The kit comes with the handle bar hardware. I think the yoke mount will be in the way of my tank bag and line of sight to the dash board. Photos and ideas are much appreciated.

Thank you

Have one on an Adventure now, but had it on an 05 GS...cannot find a clear pic. What I did was using RAM components, installed a ball mount under left mirror between mirror base and threaded end of mirror. It puts it up high enough to clear tankbag, and with diff length RAM arms you can locate it to your pref. If you do not screw the wiring lead to the base, you can remove the whole mount when you want.
    The adventure bars have a crossbar that a Touratech mount clamps to, but I still use the ball and arms on the other bikes

all parts:

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Their ZUMO page:

http://www.ram-mount.com/zumo/garmin...umo_mounts.htm

the ball mount:

http://www.ram-mount.com/ramwebcompthumb/ramb272.JPG

handlebar option : I used this also for other gizmos on R's and GS)

http://www.ram-mount.com/ramwebcompthumb/ramb231z.jpg
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Mike,

I didn't think I would like it on the handlebar either, but after weighing my options, that's where I put it. I used the RAM mount that came with it. After taking several rides, I'm fine with it there. It doesn't block the dash, and being on the left, it's easy to operate with my left hand. I looked at possibly attaching it near the windshield or over the dash on a shelf, but that was too far to reach.

Good luck,

Jim

Here's a pic:

Oh well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Here is another option. I bought the bike "pre-owned" so not sure of the source of the mount.
    The GPS pictured is not a zumo but the zumo does mount in that fashion.

SNC1923
    I have mine mounted on my GSA as indicated in Paul's photo. I like it up high and find it easy to see while keeping the road safely within my peripheral vision. Here's what it looks like:

Touratech has some nice mounting options for the standard GS. I recommend their stuff highly.

I have the MvG mount; had I to do it again, I'd get this one:

Click Here

This locking mechanism allows you to jettison Zumo's silly locking screw. I don't find it difficult to reach.

You'll need one of these, too:

Click Here

OR, get it above your instruments with one of these:

Click Here

The RAM mount is simple and elegant, but they come loose frequently and are easy to steal if not modified. They aren't terrible and they are very inexpensive. It's invisible to the rider, which is kind of cool.

There's also a company called Gadget Guy that a lot of people here seem to like.

Good luck!

mjuskiw
    I got a few things out of the way to show it better
    Sorry this is the only picture I have handy.

I used the mount that came with the unit.
    Put it on the bar behind the gage cluster
    It sits above the speedo next to the tach.

I tried a few places and like this because as I look around I see it when I check the gages. Its pretty natural for me and Im used to looking there anyways.

Its a bit of a reach but it doesnt really do much that cant wait until the next stop.
    Im running it thru a starcom so I just mute it if it starts saying "recalculate".

In my case I didnt own a GPS before so Im glad I got used to it in the car first before the riding season. Ill be honest at first it can be distracting, but after awhile you just kinda dump the navigating task on it and pay more attn to traffic Its great in the city no looking for addresses ect.

I really enjoy mine and hope you have as much fun with yours. In Ohio we have roads with interesting Native American names. Occasionally as it tries to pronounce these it will swear at you. Ive turned around just to see if it really said that or not.

Oh BTW The unit locks in the cradle fine, but there is that big T handle to tighten the mount that anyone can unscrew. I replaced it with a lock nut once I figured out where I wanted it. Makes it a bit harder to steal.

mjuskiw
    Akron Ohio

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    I have both the Garmin center mount and the Techmount handlebar mount. The Garmin mount places it dead center, while the Techmount places it in front of the clutch fluid reservoir. I ended up using the Techmount because it is more convenient with the shorter reach for pushing buttons.

Fred

Motorradfahrer

Zumo & its mounts

I myself used ( SNC1923's) the small bar that crosses the dials. See his picture: the last one with the cross over bars. On this bar attach: http://gpsforless.stores.yahoo.net/baseplatei.html. base plate II for your Zumo. Neat job, adjustable....within view

Rally Rat

Mount

Hello,

I simply took the motorcycle mount that came with the "normal" Zumo, and put it on the elliptical bar that passes above the instruments. It tightened down fine and hasn't slipped in over 4K miles. It is above the instruments and does not block anything. I haven't had a problem with glare or reflections and it is easy to see and control.
    Don't see a need to buy all the fancy stuff when what comes with it works just fine. By the way, my ride is an '07 GS.....

Jeff

[QUOTE=apopj;293755]Hello,

I simply took the motorcycle mount that came with the "normal" Zumo, and put it on the elliptical bar that passes above the instruments.

Hey Jeff,

Is this where you mounted yours? I might give that place a try. Is it a long reach?

2yoder1

mounts

Quote Originally Posted by mikegs06 View Post
    Hello people,

I'm looking for ideas to mount a Zumo 550 on an R12GS. I just bought one and need your collective wisdom. Not sure if I want it on the handle bar or not. The kit comes with the handle bar hardware. I think the yoke mount will be in the way of my tank bag and line of sight to the dash board. Photos and ideas are much appreciated.

Thank you
    Try www.techmounts.com

Rally Rat

Yep

Yep, that is exactly where I placed it. No, the reach is not bad at all. I lean just a weeee bit, but nothing dangerous or uncomfortable. And, I don't have to touch it very often. I connected it via the power plug in front of the fuel tank. The cord that came with my old BMW Zumo plugged right in, but you could either cut the wire and splice the motorcycle cord into it, or buy the BMW plug.
    I like to keep track of the total elapsed time when I travel. I was concerned that since the power plug shuts off with the ignition, I would lose this feature. However, before the Zumo shuts down, it tells you it has switched to battery power and do you want to continue on battery. I simply touch the yes button and it keeps running. Of course, I dont do this on overnight stops, but for fuel or food, it works just fine.
    By the way, I have downloaded all of the US/Canadian BMW dealers as well as private repair shops the work on beemers. Also, have all the waterfalls and covered bridges in OHIO and out of the way tourist traps. Do a GOOGLE search on "POI" and you will find all sorts of lists for points of interest that you can download. But, you have to sort through all the Poi Fish sites.
    Any thing else??? Just ask....
    Jeff

Thank you everyone. My Zumo is to be delivered today. I can't wait to play with it. Is their any other helpful advice for a new Zumo user.