• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cylinder markings?

docsavage59

I bought a 1988 R80rt with low miles but certainly no showpiece. Although it runs out really nice, there were no available service records. The guy who sold it to me pointed out a '1.0' stamping on the cylinder next to the block. He said that this indicated that the bike had undergone a 'big-bore' conversion to 1000 cc's.
'Cool', I thought... I had been happy enough getting the R80... If he's right, I'm even happier.
Any thoughts as to what '1.0' on the cylinder would designate?

Thanks in advance

I've heard of A, B, and C but not a 1.0. If at some point you have the heads off, measure the diameter of the bore...that will tell you what you have.

Yes, it's 10 and not 1.0.

And the R80 has 80.

On the front on right, rear on left (cylinders are the same, that is)

And, it's not "stamped" it's cast. That is, the numbers are raised, i.e. convex, not concave as they'd have to be if stamped.

The size code, i.e. A, B, or C is indeed stamped.

If yours don't look like this, they're not Nikasil cylinders.

You're right lkchris

I was misusing the word 'stamped'. It IS a cast 10. Is there a comprehensive database to check engine id#'s? The frame is definitely R80 but a plate underneath the seat lists the displacement as '983'.

The "official" displacement that I've seen on various websites for a 1000cc bike is 980cc. But, hey, what's 3cc between friends??

Back