• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bigger R1200RT Windshield

06motorradman

Has anyone replaced their stock windshield with a larger aftermarket screen, like Ztechnic's, Cee Bailey's, Aeroflow, etc?

I am 6'2" and get a lot of wind noise at the sides of my helmet, forcing me to turn up the volume on my Autocom, especially if I raise the rider seat to the high position. Raising the screen helps but then I'm looking through the top, which is pretty optically distorted on the RT. I'd like relative calm and quiet behind the screen with it down or only part way up.

Check out the windscreens at http://www.calsci.com/

Good price, excellent screen. Can select one that is wider and taller than stock, and a version the same size as stock will help as well. Slight curvature at the top provides a little more protection and a cutout in the screen down low helps with buffeting. Many are quite pleased with the screen, as am I. Two pics...

r1200rtnederland.jpg

r1200rtwildbasin.jpg

Had similar problems to yours. Replaced OEM windshield with a Cee Bailey that was 2 inches wider and 2 inches taller, as well as the upper edge curved upward for better deflection.

Made a HUGE difference in the comfort zone for both myself and the SO.

Caution: Also replace the windshield struts with aftermarket aluminum braces, or the additional air pressure will eventually bust the 'pot metal' supports that currently raise and lower the shield.

You can PM me for info as to where to order. They come in solid aluminum, powder black, and look and work great.

Good Luck.

RT Windscreen

I have a Ztechnic screen on my RT and like it a lot. Don't know where you live but a lot of the dealers are " Try and ride" dealers so if you don't like it they take it off no charge. Hard to beat that.
In the past I've also used Calsci shields and they worked very well but as of yet have not had one on my RT.
Aeroflow, had one on a 1100RT worked very well but for twice the money as the others they better ! Just my 2 cents:dance

+1 for the ZTechnic shield. It is fantastic.

Got it in a group buy on the BMW Luxury Touring forum site (google it if you don't know about it), through Bob's BMW. Even at full retail it is a screaming bargain.

RT Screen

I have a Ztechnic screen on my RT and like it a lot. Don't know where you live but a lot of the dealers are " Try and ride" dealers so if you don't like it they take it off no charge. Hard to beat that.
In the past I've also used Calsci shields and they worked very well but as of yet have not had one on my RT.
Aeroflow, had one on a 1100RT worked very well but for twice the money as the others they better ! Just my 2 cents:dance

+2 for the Ztechnic. I'm 5'11" but don't run it full up. I didn't see any change in mileage. The brackets are holding up fine. Based on the demo's at last year's rally the screen is also much stronger than the stock screen.

+3 For the Ztechnic, have had it on a R1200RT for almost a year, big difference. I am 6'2" and can run it well below my eye line with good results. I have not experienced any problems with the support arms as yet.

Just A Word Of Caution

I too did not experience any problem with my support arms for nearly 20,000 miles, and then one day, while attending the EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh with my son, as I was lowering the shield after parking the bike, one strut snapped.

I spoke with other BMW owners who have had this problem, and they all said their malfunction occurred in the act of lowering the windshield, and after a season or two of use.

Since I rely on the adjustable windshield height so much now for comfort and visibility, one might consider erring on the side of caution, and replacing your shield brackets BEFORE they snap.

It's not an easy fix on the road, as some of the dash needs to be displaced to make the install.

If I acquired a new R1200RT tomorrow, I would simply retro-fit it with aluminum brackets before it ever left the dealer.

+4 for the Ztechnic. I like it because the wind doesn't hit me on my shoulders anymore. I do get some buffeting when passing large trucks, but iit s very acceptable. I use it during the winter months, but I switch back to the OEM screen for summer to get the airflow back.

Thanks for all the advice. I went to the California Scientific website and their description of the product made sense to me. I called them, talked to the owner, and ordered one. When asked if he had the large screen in stock for my R1200RT, he said he and his teenage boys had made some over the weekend. I ordered one, and it was in a DHL box on my front porch when we returned from dinner Friday night. I put 200 miles on that screen Saturday morning, and it works great. It is not the most beautiful thing in the world, but sometimes function trumps form. :thumb

Back