• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blitz to Branson Part I

For Veg and any others who want to know how I am doing:

As Pete Hawk said, this years Branson will be seared in my memory for a long time to come.

I had a great ride out. I left home around 9 PM eastern Thursday after some events for my kids. I rode through the night and stopped at a rest area in Illinois for a 20 minute map on a picnic table. The brand new roadcrafter, Gerbings jacket and widder gloves did the job as the temps fell into the upper 20s at night under clear skies. I arrived at the towers around 10 AM after 829 miles of seriously needed helmet therapy.

I eventually checked into my room and took a good long nap. I came out to find many more bikes had arrived. I had a secret, Bob Weis had called me to see if he could share my room. Not only did nobody know he was coming, they didn't know he was picking up a new to him '03 K12RS in black. Man I was jealous of that bike.

Saw many friends that evening and did notice a few missing. Saturday morning I got my mileage forms filled out, hooked up with Greg and Pete for a bit of a ride. We were going to head to some decent local roads until it rained, then head back to the hotel. Well, Pete has previously done a good job of describing my accident. I don't remember much.

What I do remember; I was evaluating the road surface for wet etc. as I have a very clear picture of the curve in my head. I don't remember going down but do remember sliding and looking for the bike, which was ahead of me "oh, good" was the thought. I remember feeling the road under my back and butt, nothing hot or painful, gear is holding so far. I remember hitting much gravel and dusts and realizing I was on the shoulder. The next I remember is as they were loading me into the ambulance. Jen (John A Browns lady) was the first thing I saw, she was holding my hand looking into my face, this had a very calming effect. Next I realized Karen Burdette was there too. On the ride to the hospital I told the medic "don't cut the suit off, it is worth more than me". This is when I became aware Karen Burdette was in the ambulance as she piped in from the front.

What went wrong? I believe there were at least 2 mental mistakes that contributed. Frank Glamser had asked if I thought cold tires contributed. I told him I didn't think so at the time. But I'm going to retract that, sure they did. This accident was a loss of traction and warm tires would have had more. The second mental mistake, probably yearly riding season error. I was not aware of my environment. There must have been clues to a
quarry being there, I have no recollection that I realized this. Would the accident have not happened without these errors? I can't say for sure, but from Pete's description of how my bike never started turning, just went down, I suspect the accident still would have happened. But you never know, maybe I could have caught a sliding front wheel with a touch more traction, I've done it on that bike before.

To all those who were at Branson, I feel bad I put a damper on the weekend. I'm sure many saw my bike, H2W told me she almost vomited when Bob Smith drove by with it on the trailer before they knew anything about my injuries. It could not have been nice to see, it is very ripped up.

The help from my friends and fellow riders was astounding. Any time I voiced a concern about anything it was already being handled. Most I didn't even have to think of as I was told what was being done. The help was beyond belief and allowed me to just succumb to the meds and pain and sleep as needed. Nothing was missed. This made the whole event unbelievably
easier on me.

Now, the ride home in the Axels of Evil, with H2W playing nurse Kracket is a whole nother story.

My thanks to everyone there, the help and well wishes offered and given are greatly appreciated. My thanks to those many of you who e-mailed me when they heard of the crash. I will heal, 3 fractures in the wrist but it looks like all will heal fine with no help but this damned cast. My back it turns out is some torn / badly damaged muscles that still give me some trouble, but are improving. I will heal. My sympathies to those who were with me
and happened upon the scene in the first few minutes after the crash (Pete, Greg and Brian). I know watching that and seeing me on the ground, unable to tell you it isn't so bad can be terrifying. To the rest of those that traveled to the scene, helped in many ways. I am tremendously overdrawn in the goodwill bank, and I hope none of you ever need my help, but I stand
ready to repay my debt.

Now let's focus our well wishes to Jim King. I spoke to him a week ago, it was great to hear him crack a couple funnies. He is still Jim!

The bike, remember Bob Weis on that 03 K12RS in black at Branson???? Heh, I found the same thing, '02 with 7,800 miles. I was looking forward to breaking 100K on the K12 this year, now I have over 92,000 miles to go. Oh well. Now I'm shopping for an R11RS (she says it has to be black because my bike is too gorgeous for her to not have one equally good looking) for the
lady. Anybody want to buy a Cruiser? Damn I crashed the wrong bike.

Thanks Again

Bouncin Bob Malehorn
311 CFO
Mentor, OH

Bob, I am sorry to hear about your bike, I am glad you are recovering well, I hope you feel better soon......:)

Last year in Charleston I met up with H2W again, gave her a hug and sait how glad I was to see her. Her response, "It's nice to be seen!", following her event of the previous year. Along those lines, it's nice to HEAR from you, hoping to meet somewhere down the road. Better than hearing about you.

After having experienced Close Encounters of the Worst Kind myself, I tend not to subscribe to the "those who have, and those who will" philosophy. We make our own fortunes. It's good that you're anticipating getting back in the saddle. Let's meet at the beer garden and have a short one, after the bikes are parked. Hell, see ya at the Forum Frenzy!

Re: A better Pic

The Veg said:
This is the what I had really stopped to capture: looking west on US 62 near Proctor OK.

Great pics of Oklahoma 62. I fly to Tulsa often on business taking (unfortunately) rental cars to NW Arkansas. I sometimes take leasurely drives and have discovered OK 62 along with a host of other great roads in eastern OK. Have also explored AR 62 east of Rogers. Great road. And great ride report!

Back