Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Video

Video

Does video fit in this forum? Is there a general willingness to critique videos?
    Noel

I wish I knew more about shooting decent video.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

That's kinda where my question is headed. I've seen the usual instructions: close, medium, wide angle shots, pacing, transitions, cutaways, and a viewer's sense of time. And I've seen the usual instructions that it's all about the story.

I wouldn't mind a (supportive) critical eye on what I do. "They" say that still and video are pretty different, but I'll bet we've got some expertise here.

In a lot of cases, I'm dealing with real life that's rolling forward, and the participants aren't going to tolerate another take, but this time wave when you ride by. Not that my friends aren't pretty tolerant, but sometimes video isn't the main objective of the day.

If someone wishes, I'll submit a first video. It's our club meeting on Saturday at the Stennis Space Center.

http://www.bmwridersofmississippi.or...s/Stennis.html

I've got a wish list of shots I wish I'd gotten but didn't.
    Noel

SNC1923

Thumbs up

Hey Naddy,

As one of the mods on the Photo Phorum, I would have to say that I think video would fit well here. My co-mod is out of town, and I would want him to weigh in on this, but it's YOUR forum. I just don't see it as a problem at all.

Because you've genuinely asked for critique, I'm happy to offer some. I'm far from an expert, but I did sell pro-sumer video for a couple of years and counseled many retail customers on how to improve their movies. Please take my comments for whatever they are worth to you.

Opening sequence: shots of bikes and individuals offer limited visual interest; however, I don't know these folks (except Lyle??). It may be that they represent something beyond just human interest. The shot of the bus arriving is GREAT: it helps to tell the story.

The shot of everyone getting on the bus seems F A R too long. It does, however, serve the purpose of getting everyone's face on camera. I would cut it, but I see both sides of the argument.

After this, things pick up nicely. Short, interesting scenes of varying lengths. Good camera work, too. Some are a bit jumpy, but that's become an emulated style in Hollywood! I like your transitions and your amazing self-control with the zoom. I mean not only that you do it sparingly, but that you do it slowly. Very nice.

The shot at the flight simulator is masterful editing. Start quick, ends quick, is funny. . . . The following shot in the space suit is great camera work. Really very entertaining. Shot going from the newspaper headline to the TV is great.

I'd say this is a really nice little film. It's length, at only four minutes, is pretty ideal. The only real criticism I have is the aforementioned bus embarking shot. Your camera is steady, your shots interesting, your editing judicious.

I like to incorporate still shots when applicable. Perhaps you might include some of your clubmate's still images to fill out some scenes? I remember counseling customers on two or three key points:

The camera doesn't have to move. You can allow something to move within the frame.

Don't zoom much.

As a general rule, keep your scenes under 10 seconds. (There are numerous, obvious exceptions, but this is a good rule of thumb.)

You seem to be doing all of this already. Thanks for sharing this entertaining video. I'm sure others will chime in as well. Maybe even someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Hey Naddy,
    Opening sequence: shots of bikes and individuals offer limited visual interest; however, I don't know these folks (except Lyle??). It may be that they represent something beyond just human interest. The shot of the bus arriving is GREAT: it helps to tell the story.
    Thanks for all of the comments, especially about the opening sequence! That's the value of an independent assessment.
    Noel

There are a number of linked videos which can be found through out this forum. One member that goes by "sfarson" has links to many very fine examples of motorcycle videos.

Almost a year and a half ago I started a thread on this topic. Sfarson provided some links in that thread to many of his videos. Worth following... See:
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=8389

For public viewing I've been posting videos to either YouTube or Google Video, but those videos get re-worked to have a lower resolution (and smaller size). The (free) hosting sites obviously want to reduce somewhat the storage requirements and bandwidth necessary to send and receive video.

Sfarson has (or had) his own server which allowed him to retain a much higher resolution in his videos (plus the subject matter was pretty cool also).

I'd be happy to offer some tips that I've learned about various hardware configurations and editing software. Similarly I'd quite like to learn about what others are doing.

bensonga
    I've wanted to combine my interest in video (Panasonic AG-DVC30) and motorcycling too. Here's an example of what I'd like to do someday. This is a low quality YouTube version, but I like the movement of the bike and the combined soundtrack. I was able to find a higher quality copy of this video, so I cleaned up some of the obvious editing glitches on the copy I enjoy at home now. I suppose the fact that I have a pair of Kawasaki W650s influences how much I enjoy watching the video....again and again and again , so I'll be curious to know what you folks think it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6fbon11QdY

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Attached Images Attached Images

bensonga
    Here's another motorcycle video I really like....with Beemers! The Dolomiten ride video by Karawane. I believe you have to download the Windows Media file (20 mb) to see it.....but it's well worth it.

http://www.motorradkarawane.de/fpx/dolomiten.wmv

Of course, after watching a video like this one, I keep asking myself "How did they get that shot, and that one....that one too?"

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Here's another motorcycle video I really like....with Beemers!
    Just too bad the fellow on the F650GS Dakar wasn't riding something a little sportier!

How about an R1200S pavement dancing with that HP2? Wooohooo indeed!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

There's great information here for video producing.... http://current.com/producerTraining.htm
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

Quote Originally Posted by naddy100 View Post
    Does video fit in this forum? Is there a general willingness to critique videos?
    Noel
    Noel my long ago college education was in television/video/film production. I do not work in the industry today, so I'm lost on any new technology, but generally the aesthetic values of the craft are (mostly) unchanged. I'm willing to provide some critique/feedback when I have an opportunity to view your video on my home internet connection.
    Ben Ricci

Rides & Drives: '07 BMW F800ST Low, '07 Porsche Cayman, '06 VW Jetta TDI & '05 BMW R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    There's great information here for video producing.... http://current.com/producerTraining.htm
    Thanks for the link. I found a lot of good tips in viewing just the initial 5 min "Production Tips" clip.

Bensonga,

That's a great video of riding! Dolomiten is the Dolomites?
    Noel

crgrbrts
    I've been enjoying the adventures of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman on their GSs thanks to downloads of the "Long Way Round" and "Race to Dakar" series from Streamburst TV. They're not free, but reasonably priced and the "High Quality" files are as good as the packaged DVDs. I downloaded both series (plus some great MotoGP and IOM TT videos) and burned them onto DVDs. There's enough good viewing here to keep one entertained 'til some reasonably decent riding weather arrives.

Check 'em out at http://www.streamburst.tv/catalogue/brands

Craig
    ignoring the Chesapeake trio election returns

bensonga
    Quote Originally Posted by naddy100 View Post
    Bensonga,

That's a great video of riding! Dolomiten is the Dolomites?
    Noel
    Yes, although I don't speak German....I'm pretty sure Dolomiten must be Dolomites. I thought it was a well done video and soundtrack, despite the hooligan wheelies. :-) The only minor wheelie I've ever done was 100% unintentional on my SuperHawk, accelerating up a hill from a 15 mph right turn....once was enough for me, but I still enjoyed this video.

Looking at it again and again.....I just can't help wondering how they got some of those shots. I also like the mixing of video and still images.....a good idea I know others have mentioned. Nice change of pace with the music too, there at the end.

Wish I could find a better quality version.

Ok.....so now I gotta ask again.....what did folks think of the Kawasaki W650 Retro video? Short, fast paced, good music (I liked it anyways)....interesting flashes of video that really enhanced the sense of motion and speed to me.

Any comments on that one folks?

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska