• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new to it all

Hello all,

I am new to all of this.. in fact I dont even have a BMW yet.. LOL Any way I should have a K1100LT the first of the week if all goes well.

We (ellen and I) plan to ride via US 2 from the UP in Michigan July 10. We plan on taking 2 all the way there and back... unless advised otherwise. So I am asking for some advice. Is this a good idea? do ya think we can make it by the 15th? Any "gotcha's" along the way?

Thanks!
Gene & Ellen

Welcome to the forum Gene. SOS (slightly off subject) - where did you purchase the LT? Congrats.
Excellent choice to take 2 - in the UP and WI it is great. Haven't been too terribly far west on it.

sly said:
Hello all,

We (ellen and I) plan to ride via US 2 from the UP in Michigan July 10. We plan on taking 2 all the way there and back... unless advised otherwise.

Welcome Gene.

I'm riding from upstate NY and picking up Rt. 2 in the UP. Ealier on in this forum I asked the same question as you about Rt. 2. After 4 pages of advice we decided to branch off of Rt. 2 west of Deluth and take rt 200. It jogs aroound a bit more but the advice I've gotten suggests there is less traffic and nicer roads. Also, it seems Rt. 2 is used by lots of trucks.

That thread has dropped off the front page here but if you use the search button for old threads you should be able to find it. I believe the the title was "rt. 2 to Spokane" or something close. I got over 50 replies so I'm sure you'd get some good advice there.

Good luck! You'll have a great time at the rally no matter how you get there. Maybe I'll see you on the road!

Grant
Rochester, NY

One time, before my first big trip from Boston to Denver, I asked a friend of mine whether getting there in four days was possible.

His answer?

"It's all up to you."

And it is. :)

Re: Re: new to it all

grant said:
Welcome Gene.

I'm riding from upstate NY and picking up Rt. 2 in the UP. Ealier on in this forum I asked the same question as you about Rt. 2. After 4 pages of advice we decided to branch off of Rt. 2 west of Deluth and take rt 200. It jogs aroound a bit more but the advice I've gotten suggests there is less traffic and nicer roads. Also, it seems Rt. 2 is used by lots of trucks.

That thread has dropped off the front page here but if you use the search button for old threads you should be able to find it. I believe the the title was "rt. 2 to Spokane" or something close. I got over 50 replies so I'm sure you'd get some good advice there.

Good luck! You'll have a great time at the rally no matter how you get there. Maybe I'll see you on the road!

Grant
Rochester, NY

Thanks Grant, that was a big help and there is no sence of repeating it all again.

Parts of Hwy-2 west of the UP are ok but it is a major truck route with a fair amount of trafic. If you take Hwy-2 west you can drop down to Hwy-200 from
Hwy-2 on IS-29 near Fargo. It is a much nicer scienic ride with very little traffic. Be cautious of deere, antalope and range cattle anywhere on the way.

Highway 12...a bit further south is also a great ride. Hwy-200 and Hwy-12 come pretty close together near Missoula at which point if you goe west on Hwy-12 you will goe through Lolo Pass which is very scienic and on the general route to Spokane.

Also...if you do come all the way west on
Hwy-2 be careful east of Glacier from Cutbank to the park. There is a very high rate of booze related accidents and deaths.

Back