• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F 650 aux lighting

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

I am looking to replace the Piaa 1100 X lights on the 650GS...too many watts for the output of the charging system...cannot keep up. This old electrician didn't do his homework on this bike! :laugh What are you using? I would prefer to just swap the lights and leave the existing Piaa wiring in place.

I am looking to replace the Piaa 1100 X lights on the 650GS...too many watts for the output of the charging system...cannot keep up. This old electrician didn't do his homework on this bike! :laugh What are you using? I would prefer to just swap the lights and leave the existing Piaa wiring in place.

A couple of options I am looking at or considering are an upgraded alternator or an upgraded alternator and an extra battery like the police version. A capacitor may be another option, but I don't know that there is one available for a bike.

I especially like the thought of an extra battery as running heated grips and vest in town even without the lights is taxing. And, on my CS, I'll be relocating the existing battery for certain when it's warmer out.

Different bike here, but limited watts. I'm using one Piaa 1100x and one Hella fog, independently switchable. I figured it was a better solution than extra lighting at 2 x35 watts.

I had a CS and loved the machine for riding and handling. The gas mileage would get close to 70 mpg.

But the electrical system was anemic at best and twice the bike died due to electrical - under warranty thank goodness.

I once died out in the middle of no where. Fortunately I was able to coast down a small hill where I spotted a motorcycle under a cover. The Harley Davidson owner got out jumper cables and got me going again.

I traded the 650CS in and got one great deal on an R1200 GS. Even if there was space for an extra battery on the CS I'm not sure the charging system is up to the task.

Keep the forum posted if you are able to affect any good changes in the electrical system.

I had a CS and loved the machine for riding and handling. The gas mileage would get close to 70 mpg.

But the electrical system was anemic at best and twice the bike died due to electrical - under warranty thank goodness.

I once died out in the middle of no where. Fortunately I was able to coast down a small hill where I spotted a motorcycle under a cover. The Harley Davidson owner got out jumper cables and got me going again.

I traded the 650CS in and got one great deal on an R1200 GS. Even if there was space for an extra battery on the CS I'm not sure the charging system is up to the task.

Keep the forum posted if you are able to affect any good changes in the electrical system.

The extra battery ala the police model I'm putting on the '99 F650 but my '05 CS, I'm just going to move the battery.

Once it's a little warmer, I'm designing and building a battery holder for the top front. I'll still run a vent tube down and out so as to be able to put the rucksack in the same place since it's flexible. The CS is just a PITA to put water in. I end up having to take the battery out each time which involved taking both sides off. That's not so bad - it's getting the battery out and back in and removing the pos terminals.

But I like that other solution of independently wiring fog and driving lights. How were the switches mounted?

But I like that other solution of independently wiring fog and driving lights. How were the switches mounted?

Depends on your bike. You could do something fancy with an autoswitch and tap into your existing switch wiring. I'm using toggles with weather boots near the clutch switch cluster on my Vstrom. I'm also using switching relays from Eastern Beaver.

Have you looked at the PIAA 510 lights?

I'm using them on my 05 650GS and they work great. I use a Kisan Charge Guard to monitor and power manage my electrical system and the lights don't seem to drag it down unless I've got the heated grips and a heated vest on too. It really depends on what other things you've got running when the lights are on. The Charge Guard lets me determine which things I can configure to keep my electrical system happy.

I'm using them on my 05 650GS and they work great. I use a Kisan Charge Guard to monitor and power manage my electrical system and the lights don't seem to drag it down unless I've got the heated grips and a heated vest on too. It really depends on what other things you've got running when the lights are on. The Charge Guard lets me determine which things I can configure to keep my electrical system happy.

Thanks, will look at them. We had issues with everything running....grips, vest & lights and it just did not keep up.

If I recall - those lights use an H3 bulb. You might look at an HID H3 conversion that uses the same lights; mounts the ballasts somewhere, and inserts the HID capsule in the light instead of the H3 bulb.

If I recall - those lights use an H3 bulb. You might look at an HID H3 conversion that uses the same lights; mounts the ballasts somewhere, and inserts the HID capsule in the light instead of the H3 bulb.

Paul, you referring to the 1100XX or the 510's?

BTW, had the FD big seal replaced on Helen's 1100...all is good! The Dino just would not quit dripping either.

Auxillary Lighting on F650

I installed a pair of HID lights that I obtained from www.blmaccessories.com. I built my own mounts and used a switch from www.electricalconnection.com .
IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Switch (underside):
IMG_0405.jpg

Tim in Burien, WA

Back