• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dgt = Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you guys missed an important part: It sucked to moderate that forum. It consumed more resources than the rest of the forums and the perception was that there weren't many members that posted there.

If you want to talk politics, step up to the big leagues: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

It's only a matter of time before someone starts to grumble about the Photography forum. I think there are pretty large differences between those two forums. The Photography forum seems to be attracting a wide range of members as posters. DGT did not.

It would be tempting to pull the PC card out and claim that DGT was removed because folks want to be PC. The truth is that DGT was a playground for small number of participants and the resources spent to support it did not warrant the effort.

Remember, I supported DGT at creation, but as it progressed, it was evident that it was only being used by a small number of members.

I did initially miss an important point.

It is my understanding the moderators receive a report tag when some little self-appointed censor views what they consider inappropriate. Why, then, since the moderators would not have to read every post is this a drain on resources? I do not believe the moderators would receive a report tag for every single post in every single thread.

Since the usage of DGT was greater (in a shorter time) than some of the established forums, 2/3rds of the members polled (although unscientific) thought DGT did not suck, and since the moderators needn't have been reading each thread, I have indeed missed an important point. Just why was DGT actually cancelled?

And by the way, the big leagues are baiting terrorists and turning them in.

It is my understanding the moderators receive a report tag when some little self-appointed censor views what they consider inappropriate

I think I am missing something here. What exactly is "some little self-appointed censor"?.

I think I am missing something here. What exactly is "some little self-appointed censor"? Oh, and you're wrong.

My understanding, and my apologies if I've been mis-informed, is that the moderators recieve a PM that I perhaps mis-called for lack of simply saying a PM.

And, I was not at all referring to the moderators as "some little self-appointed censor." I have defended and even thanked the moderators. The "Little self-appointed censors" will know who they are for I am not an imbecile.

There goes any illusion that the membership has a voice in the way things are run here.

dude, you are wrong on SO MANY levels.

Ian is the formal voice of the membership.

i see the forum liaison job as being the person who acts to balance the interests of the members, the moderators, and the club's leadership for the purpose of furthering the club's best interests.

my voice is just one.

members spoke, i listened.

ian

The Mods not only read each post in DGT, they also answered the heavy volume of PMs and e-mails from particpants demanding this or that be removed/not removed, suffered through both real and implied threats, tried to mediate and calm escalating and angry confrontations, etc.

The Mods not only read each post in DGT, they also answered the heavy volume of PMs and e-mails from particpants demanding this or that be removed/not removed, suffered through both real and implied threats, tried to mediate and calm escalating and angry confrontations, etc.

Well, also as per my PM to you, my apologies for being misinformed. I'm sorry that those who are intolerant made life such a problem for all who moderated. It's not an easy job.

Since 2/3rds of the members polled did not think DGT sucked, and since you all are saying you listen to the members, if we may come to a solution that is financially viable, I assume DGT would be brought back?

If you have an idea, write it up and talk to a few Board members about it. The Board ultimately runs the organization (including the website, which includes the message boards.) They are usually very open to listening, especially if you are really passionate about the subject.

The best way to get something done is to thoroughly and in unbiased detail explain to those who can make it happen why something should be done, then offer the labor to bring it about. Interestingly enough, that is exactly how this very website came about.

If you have an idea, write it up and talk to a few Board members about it. The Board ultimately runs the organization (including the website, which includes the message boards.) They are usually very open to listening, especially if you are really passionate about the subject.

The best way to get something done is to thoroughly and in unbiased detail explain to those who can make it happen why something should be done, then offer the labor to bring it about. Interestingly enough, that is exactly how this very website came about.

Some good may come of this after all. I will see if the RNC may want to chip in some funds to keep the dream alive. :laugh :bolt

it sucked.

ian

forum liaison

Ian,

That's Your opinion. I just so happen to completely disagree with your opinion.

Did I miss the discussion about whether or not DGT should be trashed? Seems like a sudden and heavy-handed totalitarian decision without having a discussion about whether or not DGT should have been eliminated.

I thoroughly enjoyed the forum and thought it served a need. If you didn't want to participate, you didn't have to participate. Now the Campfire will get clogged up with all the stuff that previously went in DGT, and I for one will be complaining loudly and frequently if controversial political and religious stuff starts showing up in the Campfire. DGT was the perfect place for religious and political debates. Now there's no place for such a discussion, and the web forums are less entertaining as a result. Now I'll visit the MOA web site much less frequently.

Thanks for taking away a bit of fun from my daily routine.

What Ted said. The Communications & Marketing Committee has been kept informed by the Forum Team about the problems with DGT. I supported the Forum Team's decision to try it. As much as possible they are the ones to run the Forum. They are volunteers who give up a lot of their personal time so everyone else can have this resource - a resource who's purpose is to enhance the membership experience for the greatest number. Unfortunately, that means not everyone is going to get everything they want. Shutting down DGT was 100% about the complaints from the membership at large here, and the workload on the moderators, and it was a Forum Team decision. Period.

If someone has constructive suggestions concerning the Forum they should send them to the moderation team for consideration. You are free to send any ideas to the Board (bod@bmwmoa.org) or any of the Board committees and they will receive full consideration. Just remember, the folks who have to make these decisions are required to look at the bigger picture - not just one piece.

Some good may come of this after all. I will see if the RNC may want to chip in some funds to keep the dream alive. :laugh :bolt

I am sure they will, as soon as some of it trickles down from the Reagan economy ... :hide

What Ted said. The Communications & Marketing Committee has been kept informed by the Forum Team about the problems with DGT. I supported the Forum Team's decision to try it. As much as possible they are the ones to run the Forum. They are volunteers who give up a lot of their personal time so everyone else can have this resource - a resource who's purpose is to enhance the membership experience for the greatest number. Unfortunately, that means not everyone is going to get everything they want. Shutting down DGT was 100% about the complaints from the membership at large here, and the workload on the moderators, and it was a Forum Team decision. Period.

If someone has constructive suggestions concerning the Forum they should send them to the moderation team for consideration. You are free to send any ideas to the Board (bod@bmwmoa.org) or any of the Board committees and they will receive full consideration. Just remember, the folks who have to make these decisions are required to look at the bigger picture - not just one piece.

Did those who complained about DGT (squeaky wheels) ever register their opinions within DGT? I think not. Posting here saying "good riddance" when you never participated in the forum is tantamount to going to a funeral and saying "I hated that guy" even though you never met him.

Now I know how to get the MOA to eliminate forum categories on the website - whine, moan and complain until I get my way.

Hey, shouldn't this thread be headed for DGT? Oh, wait ...

Never mind.

Emily_Litella-792387-thumb.jpg

It's only a matter of time before someone starts to grumble about the Photography forum. I think there are pretty large differences between those two forums. The Photography forum seems to be attracting a wide range of members as posters. DGT did not.

It would be tempting to pull the PC card out and claim that DGT was removed because folks want to be PC. The truth is that DGT was a playground for small number of participants and the resources spent to support it did not warrant the effort.

Remember, I supported DGT at creation, but as it progressed, it was evident that it was only being used by a small number of members.
Overall, I agree.

Thank God we don't apply that to the National, because we all know it is not reaching the majority of the members, and it is consuming many reasources.
I like it.:thumb

Last edited:
Did those who complained about DGT (squeaky wheels) ever register their opinions within DGT? I think not. Posting here saying "good riddance" when you never participated in the forum is tantamount to going to a funeral and saying "I hated that guy" even though you never met him.

Wouldn't going to DGT to complain about DGT be like going to the MOB and asking them if they wouldn't mind leaving town and stop committing crimes? :stick

Mind you, I did not complain beyond my public statements, but again, I don't miss it.

Now I know how to get the MOA to eliminate forum categories on the website - whine, moan and complain until I get my way.

I guess whining, moaning, and complaining doesn't work to get forums re-added, eh? :stick :ha

:hide

Those who complained about DGT. Care to raise your heads here and post? From reading the comments, it seems people from both sides of the political aisle are unhappy with the decision.

If we accept the wrongful argument that the club does what most of the club is involved in, we would not have Nationals because most of the club, on average, does not attend Nationals. Similarly, most of the club's members do not use any of the forums at all. Yet, the Nationals and the forums are still here.

Also, if we were to accept the argument that the club does what most of the members want, just why is a tiny minority who can cry a lot and cry loudly doing dictating what others do and do not want and can and can not have?

We have not yet begun to fight! :usa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back