• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canada recognition;

So glad:)

I started the post this time around and so glad to see the "Maple Leaf" available now, for those so willing to fly it. Our posts can only be more beautiful with our Canadian brethren represented here and their colors:). I recently had the opportunity to ride Canada, coast to coast two years ago, for a first for me. I had visited so many provinces before, but never a coast to coast ride. The Canada Flag flies proudly at so many homes, businesses up there, with the exception of Quebec of course. I was happy to see the Maple Leaf so frequently at so many places, flying proudly. Thanks for listening from one USA, 'MOA poster:). Randy13233"Polarbear":usa :ca

Sweet! We gotz our own smiley now :ca Pass me my steroids and acne cream, I'm playing baseball this summer... ;)

So thank you for the new imocon fag.

So in the good spirit of brotherhood we can now sing'' sing'

Oh Im a lumberjack and im ok......
No realy here is a great tune.. and you may have to know it for the Salty one

Official Lyrics of O Canada!
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

The History of the National Anthem
Summary

"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavall?®e, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.

Full History of "O Canada"

Many people think of Calixa Lavall?®e as an obscure music teacher who dashed off a patriotic song in a moment of inspiration. The truth is quite different. Lavall?®e was, in fact, known as "Canada's national musician" and it was on this account that he was asked to compose the music for a poem written by Judge Adolphe-Basile Routhier.

The occasion was the "Congr?¿s national des Canadiens-Fran?ºais" in1880, which was being held at the same time as the St. Jean-Baptiste Day celebrations.

There had been some thought of holding a competition for a national hymn to have its first performance on St. Jean-Baptiste Day, June 24, but by January the committee in charge decided there was not enough time, so the Lieutenant Governor of Quebec, the Honourable Th?®odore Robitaille, commissioned Judge Routhier to write a hymn and Lavall?®e to compose the tune. Lavall?®e made a number of drafts before the tune we know was greeted with enthusiasm by his musical friends. It is said that in the excitement of success Lavall?®e rushed to show his music to the Lieutenant Governor without even stopping to sign the manuscript.

The first performance took place on June 24, 1880 at a banquet in the "Pavillon des Patineurs" in Quebec City as the climax of a"Mosa?»que sur des airs populaires canadiens" arranged by Joseph V?®zina, a prominent composer and bandmaster.

Although this first performance of "O Canada" with Routhier's French words was well received on the evening, it does not seem to have made a lasting impression at that time. Arthur Lavigne, a Quebec musician and music dealer, published it without copyright but there was no rush to reprint. Lavall?®e's obit in 1891 doesn't mention it among his accomplishments, nor does a biography of Judge Routhier published in 1898. French Canada is represented in the 1887 edition of the University of Toronto song book by "Vive la canadienne", "A la claire fontaine" and "Un canadien errant".

English Canada in general probably first heard "O Canada" when school children sang it when the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall (later King George V and Queen Mary) toured Canada in 1901. Five years later Whaley and Royce in Toronto published the music with the French text and a translation into English made by Dr. Thomas Bedford Richardson, a Toronto doctor. The Mendelssohn Choir used the Richardson lyrics in one of their performances about this time and Judge Routhier and the French press complimented the author.

Richardson version:
O Canada! Our fathers' land of old
Thy brow is crown'd with leaves of red and gold.
Beneath the shade of the Holy Cross
Thy children own their birth
No stains thy glorious annals gloss
Since valour shield thy hearth.
Almighty God! On thee we call
Defend our rights, forfend this nation's thrall,
Defend our rights, forfend this nation's thrall.

In 1908 Collier's Weekly inaugurated its Canadian edition with a competition for an English text to Lavall?®e's music. It was won by Mercy E. Powell McCulloch, but her version did not take.

McCulloch version :
O Canada! in praise of thee we sing;
From echoing hills our anthems proudly ring.
With fertile plains and mountains grand
With lakes and rivers clear,
Eternal beauty, thos dost stand
Throughout the changing year.
Lord God of Hosts! We now implore
Bless our dear land this day and evermore,
Bless our dear land this day and evermore.

Since then many English versions have been written for "O Canada". Poet Wilfred Campbell wrote one. So did Augustus Bridle, Toronto critic. Some were written for the 1908 tercentenary of Quebec City. One version became popular in British Columbia...
And there is a little diddy "The maple leaf forever.."

:ca :ca :ca :ca :ca :ca :ca :ca

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/meLpuF9UMvk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/meLpuF9UMvk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So thank you for the new imocon flag.

So in the good spirit of brotherhood we can now sing'' sing'

Oh Im a lumberjack and im ok......
No realy here is a great tune.. and you may have to know it for the Salty one

Official Lyrics of O Canada!
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

God keep our land glorious and free!

:ca :ca :ca :ca :ca :ca :ca :ca

From The Simpsons "Bart of War":

Sideshow Mel: Let us end this mindless violence and join our hands in song.
Captain McCallister: Aye, Not a hymn to war, like our national anthem, but a sweet, soothing hymn, like the national anthem of Canada.ÔÇØ

:D

:usa :ca

From The Simpsons "Bart of War":

Sideshow Mel: Let us end this mindless violence and join our hands in song.
Captain McCallister: Aye, Not a hymn to war, like our national anthem, but a sweet, soothing hymn, like the national anthem of Canada.”

:D

:usa :ca

The United States National Anthem is neither a Hymm to war, nor a punch line to this not so funny post.

Last edited:

The United States National Anthem is neither a Hymm to war, nor a puch line to this not so funny post.

I'm really sorry if you were offended; I was just quoting something from "The Simpsons" that I saw a week ago.

This is now OT. I guess mrich2000 was right on. We have the Canadian flag. Thank you forum admins.

Moving on.

I'm home sick and bored out of my mind so I decided to post my favorite version of the Canadian National Anthem, the bilingual version sung by Roger Doucet. I have only been able to find a partial which follows below but whose last stanza doesn't jive with what I though was the official version (for right and liberty?). So, sons and daughters of the Great White North... what gives.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTJw2lYgXOA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTJw2lYgXOA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Just got back home and see that we now have an official flag bearing Canadian smilie added to the list. Apparently even a smilie can seemingly have political overtones. So, join me in a :beer :beer to celebrate. :ca :usa :buds Thanks to all (uh, most) for your support and kind words eh? Special thanks to Polarbear for getting this whole thing kickstarted again. -Bob

Doucet sang "On guard for rights and liberty" as his personal comment on the "charter rights" and "Quebec independence" issues.

I guess they still play and sing "Dixie" in the Deep South.

The Russians went wild when Doucet sang their anthem at hockey games. A great voice.

PT9766

The comparison to Dixie is a little strained as Dixie a) Isn't sung to the tune of The Star Spangled Banner and b) Isn't passed off as the National Anthem... but remembering the separatist issues in Quebec in the 70's, I take your point.

I loved and dreaded listening to him sing the Anthem. Loved it because he could really bang it out, dreaded it because if I was listening to him my team was mostly likely about the get smoked.:doh

Last edited:
Just letting you know who is the stuwarts here

The United States National Anthem is neither a Hymm to war, nor a punch line to this not so funny post.
:stick :german :german :german :stick :ca :ca :ca :ca :nra :ca :bar :german :german

My Land is Not Thine, Either by Right or by Conquest

O Canada!
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

and my people are just tolerant of the settlers on our soil..

Mi’qmaq Treaty Day Proclamation

When the English began to make their homes in our land our forefathers protected the livelihood and survival of the Mi’qmaq by signing treaties with their Kings. Throughout the seasons the treaties have remained.

On November 21, 1985, the Supreme Court of Canada affirmed that the Treaty of 1752 is still strong. The Mi’qmaq are still protected by its articles and we call upon Her Majesty to honour this Treaty and others made with the Mi’qmaq Nation.

On this 234th year of the Treaty of 1752, I, as Grand Chief of the Mi’qmaq, invite every Mi’qmaq to observe October 1 this year and every year thereafter as “Treaty Day” to commemorate the unique and special relationship that exists between the Mi’qmaq and Her Majesty.

PROCLAIMED at Halifax, Nova Scotia, this 1st day of October, A.D. 1986.

(Signed)
DONALD MARSHALL
Grand Chief:deal

Last edited:
I don't see the Canadian flag smiley beside this Reply to Post,where is it????I do see the German one though.

And before any of y'all get s tooo carried away with celebratin and bein with levity,and stuff,:ca :newtoy :jester :beer :heart :buds let us mark the mighty stern werds a r11rs94:this ere aint no funny post.Got that?Yall?Don't make fun outta that there serious stuff,yall got that????

Now where's m'flag,uh?Eh?:bottle :buds :german :drink :beer :ca

Back