Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to get serious with these food discussions....

It's time to get serious with these food discussions....

.... it's time to talk about HOT DOGS! Brats are great and I know we all bow towards Munich once a day while wearing our liederhosen but let's face it, a good dog on the road is absolute heaven.

So where are the best dogs on the road and what's your favorite at home?

Typically at home we prefer Groten Wegal (affectionately known as Rotten Beagles) or Deutschmacher on the grill. Some raw onion and Guldens Spicy Brown and I'm a happy guy.

Many a road trip has been spent looking for the perfect Hot Dog. I ate my first Coney Island Dog at Coney Island while it was still open so it's in my blood. The perfect road dog has meat sauce, cheese, raw onion, mustard (yellow in this case) and ketchup. Meat sauce, not Chilli. If a good meat sauce is not available Chilli will do but it should be mild; you don't want to steal the stage from the hot dog.

In CT the best I have found is

Frankies in the Waterbury area, with onions in sauce instead of meat sauce. Frankies is perhaps the only reason Waterbury has been allowed to continue to exist.

Saints in Plainville. Awesome meat sauce and Martin Rosel dogs.

These are both an hour and a half, one way trip for me but since you can't buy a good Hot Dog east of the CT river, worth the journey.

So enough of this foo foo hotsy totsy cooking stuff, put your knives away and dish out the dogs! It's time for real food.
    Steve Marquardt

Hot dogs aren't very popular down in my neck of the woods, with one notable exception: the Corny Dog. This is one of the most popular foods served at the State Fair (which is a pretty huge event in both size and attendance), and it is basically a run-of-the-mill corndog fried in oil. Doesn't sound like much, but every September you start hearing locals talking about how they can't wait to bite into a Corny Dog.

I also had a pretty good hot dog at a Dallas Stars game years ago. Nothing particularly special about it either, except that it came wrapped in foil that allowed the whole thing to get really steamy until the moment of unwrapping. MMM-good!

About ten years ago PBS ran a lighthearted documentary about great hot-dog places across USA. Lots of interesting stuff out there.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

When I lived in San Antonio we used to get a real good Chilli Dog at a fast food joint but I can't remember which. It was just north of Lackland AFB. Texas actually had a lot of great Hot Dog places, used to ride up into the Hill Country looking for 'em.
    Steve Marquardt

I'm originally from LA, so I can give you some recommendations there.

As SNC1923 mentioned in another thread, a great dog is Cupid's.

I also like the Original Tommy's places for their chiliburgers, but you can get all the same stuff on one of their hot dogs, which, underneath it all, is another great hot dog.

If you're touristing around LA and find yourself in Hollywood, you might want to stop in at Pink's.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

535IS
    Here in the home of the 'brat', any serious discussion of mere 'hot dogs' is beneath us.

That said, look what our Deutsche Br??der have come up with:

Cheeseburger in a can!

Unavailable for comment
    Corn dog with mustard at the Iowa State Fair, when I can be talked into going, or George's Chili King. Chili hot dogs are the best.

Also like Bosnian chavapi a lot and Czech sausiski when in country. All are good companions to beer but not while in WI.

Extra onions. Lots of "memories" later in the helmet.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    The first sign of a quality hot dog is a casing that snaps when you bite into it. Failing this test, the palate is sure to find disappointment in an product of poor pedigree a dog poor in taste and texture will follow.

Steve,
    Now you're talking (I once rode 100 miles to Meriden just to eat at Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers).

Dogs. New York.

1. Nathan's Famous, Surf Ave, Coney Island, Brooklyn
    2. Gray's Papaya, 72nd Street and Broadway, NY
    3. Katz's Deli, Houston and Ludlow Streets, NY
    4. Rutt's Hutt, Clifton, NJ

Nathan's is where the Hot Dog began and is still the best and tastiest Frankfurter going.
    Gray's gets you a dog with the works for 75?. Katz's vends a traditional kosher style Frankfurter with a nice snap and Rutt's Hutt takes the cake for the most interesting as they deep fry their dogs: the "in and outer" gets a quick fry. A "Ripper" stays in till it gets "torn" and a little crispy and a "Cremator" takes it to the extreme.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    Steve,
    Now you're talking (I once rode 100 miles to Meriden just to eat at Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers).

and you rode 1000 miles to call Hodag's Brawts "hawt dawgs"

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    and you rode 1000 miles to call Hodag's Brawts "hawt dawgs"
    And I'd do it again!

My choice is Fort Wayne's (Indiana) Coney Island. It has been there since 1913, owned by the same family. Coney sauce, not that chili piled on a dog thing. They have a front door but I don't recall ever going in that way. I've always gone in the back door and through the kitchen.

Then you come upon this view, a typical Saturday mid-afternoon.

If you are hungry, four is what you order. You just say, "Four, and a Coke."

John

BallPark Franks!

I love my simple BallPark brand from Costco! Make you guys upset? Well, its not to expensive and they are good for my taste and I would love to find great dogs on the road, but this is quite a challenge. I was in Nova Scotia, Canada riding along and having a hot dog craving in '06, really enjoying the ride and needed a good hot dog lunch! Nope, really could not find one and settled for Lobster on a hot dog bun!!! Amazing, I say, as from my west coast and the south, buns and Lobsters did not really compute with me. I did it anyways and the lobster/bun combo was not a hot dog, but still quite tasty. I will accept a good hot dog anywhere, just about anytime. You ever heard such a story? Lobster on a hot dog bun? I found it! Randy13233

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    Steve,

Dogs. New York.

1. Nathan's Famous, Surf Ave, Coney Island, Brooklyn
    2. Gray's Papaya, 72nd Street and Broadway, NY
    3. Katz's Deli, Houston and Ludlow Streets, NY
    4. Rutt's Hutt, Clifton, NJ

Nathan's is where the Hot Dog began and is still the best and tastiest Frankfurter going.
    Gray's gets you a dog with the works for 75?. Katz's vends a traditional kosher style Frankfurter with a nice snap and Rutt's Hutt takes the cake for the most interesting as they deep fry their dogs: the "in and outer" gets a quick fry. A "Ripper" stays in till it gets "torn" and a little crispy and a "Cremator" takes it to the extreme.

I used to work in Wallingford at the Suzuki store right at the Meriden town line. Went to Teds all the time. There are actually 2 or 3 places in the Wallingford/Meriden area with great Steamed Cheeseburgers. I think the trick was equal parts meat and cheese.
    Steve Marquardt

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I love my simple BallPark brand from Costco! Make you guys upset? Well, its not to expensive and they are good for my taste and I would love to find great dogs on the road, but this is quite a challenge. I was in Nova Scotia, Canada riding along and having a hot dog craving in '06, really enjoying the ride and needed a good hot dog lunch! Nope, really could not find one and settled for Lobster on a hot dog bun!!! Amazing, I say, as from my west coast and the south, buns and Lobsters did not really compute with me. I did it anyways and the lobster/bun combo was not a hot dog, but still quite tasty. I will accept a good hot dog anywhere, just about anytime. You ever heard such a story? Lobster on a hot dog bun? I found it! Randy13233
    Those are called Lobster rolls in New England. A poor excuse when you've got a Hot Dog Jones goin' but I guess if ya gotta eat something they'll do.
    Steve Marquardt

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I miss lobstah rolls.

And proper hot dog buns are top sliced, New England style.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.