• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

04 RT tank bag

GERALD

I want to put a tank bag on my RT and would like some feed back from some of you RT owners about the pro's and cons of some of
the tank bags available.

I have been looking at the Marsee and like it except it is not
waterproof and it looks like it would be a hassle when fueling
the cycle.

I shall appreciate any help you can give me.

Gerald

I think Brad has one of those BigMak bags that flip up.

I don't know if there are any tankbags that are waterproof without putting some kind of shower cap on them.

I was an RT rider in a previous life, but the bag came with me when I moved up to the GS :p

I use a Marsee 15L magnetic teardrop bag, and I like it. Fueling with a tank bag is a hassle period IMHO....... That said, it really isn't that much of an effort to move the bag out of the way while fueling, and the convenience it offers more than makes up for the occasional fuel stop balancing act.

I have ridden with my bag in rain (not torrential down pour) but rain, and the bag itself is reasonably water resistant. The zipper isn't, but I haven't experienced any leak problems to date.........

If rain is really an issue where you ride, you can get a rain cover for the bag........

All things considered, I have been very pleased with the Marsee bag, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.....

:clap

Thanks for the replies, the BigMak sounds like it might be just what I am looking for.

Rain is an issue here, while we don't get that much rain in volume
it rains just enough to get everything wet quite a bit. For the past two weeks we have had more days with rain/thunderstorms
forecast than not.

It doesn't always rain, but you better be prepared for it.

Gerald

I have an 04 RT and for Christmas, my wife gave me the BMW tank bag that's made specifically for the RT . It's well made and comes with a water proof cover if you need it. As for down side, some say tank bags can scratch your tank though it doesn't look like that's going to happen with this style. It took me awhile to figure out, but the BMW tank bag comes with mounting clips just past the leading edge of the tank so all you do is stretch the elastic straps to un-clip it and lift the tank bag so it lays over the back seat. You're now ready to gas up with nothing in the way. The rear part has a zipper connection so all you do is unzip the thing and take it with you. Removal time is about 20 seconds being methodical about it. The bag is compact and will expand almost to chest height though I question the wisdom of putting anything in there that either adds weight at that location or requires that height. One thing for sure, and this is strictly my own opinion, don't read the map in the top window while rolling down the road.

20K on a BMW tankbg

I have had mine for 20K and no sctratches yet. Like Randy said, just releas the latches and lay it on the seat.
Only drawback is the $$$$$$.

RT tank bag

Thanks for all of the replies, I got a virus that wiped out my
computer and only got back on line tonight.

I got a good deal an a Marsee so that is what I bought. Thanks
again for all of the help.

Gerald

Back