• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

04 RT clear tank protector

GERALD

I want to put a tank bag on my RT, but I am concerned it will
scuff the tank. I am also scuffing the paint when I slide forward
on the seat.

The local dealer has a clear tank protective, I think a 3-M pro-
duct, but his supplier does not have a kit available for the RT.

Does any one know if there is a supplier with the pre-cut kit
available for the RT? If so can you provide me with a contact
point?

Thank you,

Gerald

04RT clear tank protector

MarkF,

Thanks for the reply, this looks very interesting. I can't see the
top of the bag, but it appears that it does not have a map pocket
in it. That would mean you would have to have the map pocket
also.

Do you have one of these bags? If so, which size do you have
and does it let you see the instruments well or do you have to
stretch to see them. How is the bag/rack in tight maneuvering
and locking the fork locks? Is there any interference?

Thanks again for your input.

Gerald

Venture BMW lists a precut "Clear Finish Protection System" for the R1100RT on their website for $24.99. http://www.venturebmws.com/Motorcycles/R1100RT/r1100rt.html

I bought a similar K1200RS kit from them and it was easy to install and worked well. It doesn't cover the top of the tank so it wouldn't help with a bag scuffing the tank. Or you could have a local auto accessory shop cut and install the 3M stuff exactly where you want.

If you like the floating tank bag idea, Marsee has (or will have) the Corona system. The bag locks onto a magnetic metal base which is bolted to the fuel cap ring. It was shown in the April 2004 BMW ON (Dealer Expo article).

Personally, I just use a standard Marsee bag. It's simple and doesn't take much time at a fill up. I keep the bag and tank clean and haven't noticed any scratches.

Michael

Attachments

• marsee-corona.jpg
    marsee-corona.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 296
M Cohen,

Thanks for the reply, I have emailed Venture to see if the R1100RT
kit will fit the R1150RT. This with the Marsee bag would be much
cheaper than the Big Mak.

I also wonder if the Big Mak mounting might be a problem the
way it mounts. With the bag loaded down heavily it looks like
it could cause a problem to the fuel cap mounting,

Has anyone experienced a problem with the mounting?

Gerald

Re: 04RT clear tank protector

Gerald said:
I can't see the top of the bag, but it appears that it does not have a map pocket in it.

Do you have one of these bags?

There is either a map pocket or a thin pocket option to attach to the top. I do not have one. I bought a BMW bag for big $$$ with my new BMW and packing it away and buying a new bag would be admitting I was taken to the cleaners with the BMW bag. But, I have seen numerous BigMak bags at rallies and would get one if I needed a new bag or got a new bike. The RT has several size options but the RS and Roadster only have one size.

Hope this helps.

MarkF

I was at the local dealership this morning and was talking to one
of the riders that came in and he said that the bracket for the Big Mak was not very sturdy and said he would not want one.

I have not seen one so I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not. I guess I'll have to see one since it seems
some on this forum like it.

Gerald

Back