Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Generic oil filter

oil filters

I think I'll get an old slash [something] with a slinger, so I don't have to buy oil filters.....

Rinty

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    When you've spent several thousand dollars (at minimum) on a motorcycle, it seems kind of lame to try and save $2 on a filter at the potential risk of toasting your motor.

I remember some years ago an article on oil filters for Porsche 911 engines (which have dry sump systems). Even though all of the filters looked essentially the same on the outside and would fit the oil filter mount, when they cut the filters open, they found many differences inside. On one filter, the oil flow direction through the filter was the opposite of what the dry sump system requires (the Porsche oil system flow is reverse of the usual filter flow direction). Bottom line - until you know FOR SURE that the oil filter you want to use is at least equivalent to the factory recommended oil filter, stay with the factory oil filter.

Of course, as someone below said, it's your engine.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Jon, do you have a link on that? i've read numerous reports, and the Frams always come up as crap, and the BMW & K&Ns (along with a few others) come up solid.

I did a search in previous MOA threads on oil filter tests. here's what i came up with- http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/kandn.shtml This is one that i had remembered reading before.

when you look at the pics and the write-up of the BMW OEM and the Fram, they are clearly NOT the same filters! Getting a filter cheaply and readily should not be the only criterion for filter selection- somewhere in there you/we should be paying attention to quality of product as well.
    +1
    I stumbled upon that site a year back or so as I always wondered what was inside those filters. Some are not good at all.
    FWIW, I use the Purolator PL 10241 and have no issues.

(modified)
    Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    FWIW, I use the ********** and have no issues.
    i suspect that pretty much all of us could say exactly the same thing about whatever filter we have been using for however many years.
    but wouldn't you just HATE to be the first one to report that "I used filter XYZ to save $3.00, and it roasted my engine!"
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by riderR1150GSAdv View Post
    FWIW, I use the Purolator PL 10241 and have no issues.
    That's the problem with oil filters . . . you have no issues until you have "issues". Then, it's too late.
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 02-06-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    Mike White
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

jingdog
    My 74 Beetle didnt even HAVE an oil filter and the bearings, lifters, oil pump etc lasted 250,000 miles. PLUS it only had 2.5 quarts of oil in the sump.

Stuff2c
    Quote Originally Posted by jingdog View Post
    My 74 Beetle didnt even HAVE an oil filter and the bearings, lifters, oil pump etc lasted 250,000 miles. PLUS it only had 2.5 quarts of oil in the sump.
    That was b4 the internet

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by jingdog View Post
    Neither did my 70 Beetle, but I also changed the oil very often. The potential problems with using substandard oil filters are more than just lower oil filtration efficiency.
    Mike White

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    That's the problem with oil filters . . . you have no issues until you have "issues". Then, it's too late.
    i would say dozens of long distance rider's and several well respected oilhead mechanic's opinions are all the reassurance i need for the above mentioned Purolator. not to mention plenty of "oil filter" tests that they passed with flying colors.

i went with it over stock because of its high degree of "recommendedness" and relative "cost effectiveness".

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    i would say dozens of long distance rider's and several well respected oilhead mechanic's opinions are all the reassurance i need for the above mentioned Purolator. not to mention plenty of "oil filter" tests that they passed with flying colors.

i went with it over stock because of its high degree of "recommendedness" and relative "cost effectiveness".
    Well, I guess that means you feel you KNOW FOR SURE that the Purolator filter is at least equivalent to the BMW filter. Heck, if they only cost $2 or so (from an earlier post), I may buy one and cut it apart just to see what it looks like inside.

Always looking to save a little money . . . as long as it's smart money.
    Mike White

jingdog
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    Neither did my 70 Beetle, but I also changed the oil very often. The potential problems with using substandard oil filters are more than just lower oil filtration efficiency.

The PO of my 96 GS changed the oil every 3k miles for 83,000 miles! Its only a retorical argument to use only factory approved oil filters. In reality the aftermarket ones work just as well.

The cheapest thing on a BMW...
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

Republic of Texas

Pl10241

I just checked Purolator's web page. Correct if I'm wrong here.

The PL10241 oil filter seems to be a PureOne automobile oil filter (nothing inherently wrong with that) that just happens to have the same threads and is about the same physical size as the BMW motorcycle oil filter. From Purolator's web page, the Purolator BMW motorcycle oil filter is ML16825, which is "only" a Premium Plus filter. It looks like the PL filter is slightly longer and has a slightly smaller OD than the ML filter. The ML relief pressure is 14 psi and the PL relief pressure is 12-17 psi.
    Mike White

jingdog
    The premium Plus L10241 fits the same filter wrench as the BMW filter (76mmX14 flute) I believe the PureOne is the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    The cheapest thing on a BMW...
    ....ain't the oil filter.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.