• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Generic oil filter

ChicotDave

I have seen this posted before but I searched and could not find.

Can anyone tell me the generic oil filter for a 2000 R1100R?

One that can be found at Auto Zone or Walmart. Not many stores around here.

Thanks
Dave

i use the Purolator L10241 Pure One. they are tested as a good, well made filter. i usually order them on amazon.

I also use the Purolator L10241 with good results. Pep Boys has them on sale sometimes for $2.

like i said- the Fram has tested incredibly poorly.

Where did you say this?

I listed fram since wallyworld carries them. And since ChicotDave listed wallywolrld as a close retailer.

I've seen the reports. I guess those millions upon millions of Fram filters out there are just ticking time bombs.

But let's not hijack this thread with a best filter discussion. We all know where that goes.;)

Try Fram part #PH6063. I've seen these at Wallyworld.

Here's the link. Ain't da internet great?

http://www.power-21.com/HoneywellPower21i/RelatedInfo.aspx?b=F&f=FRAM/framrv_motorcycle_1211.pdf

The Fram 6063 corresponds to the Fram PH 3614. The Wal Mart super tec ST 3614 crosses to this and the Purolator filter mentioned and the Bosh. Champion filters makes the Bosh and Super Tec. Both have 98% single pass filtering. There is a web site were a guy dissected filters and the Bosh and Super Tec were identical. $6 or $2 your choice for the same thing. The Bosh and Purolators take a different wrench than the Fram PH 3614 and Super Tec ST 3614.

These are the same filters used in the old K bikes.

Some others
AC Delco PF-53
Amsoil ASF-57
SMF122
Bosch 3330
Champion C301
Fram PH3614
PH3816
PH6063
Hastings 157A
LF157
Mobil 1 M1 - 102
Motorcraft FL-271
FL-793
NAPA Gold # 1348
Purflux LS188B
Purolator FCO-201 (Obsolete P/N?)
L10241
ML 16825
PL10241
STP S3614
WalMart ST3614
Wix 51348

Ralph Sims

like i said- the Fram has tested incredibly poorly. many others are not much better-but hey, it's your dime.
some tests:
http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html
or here-
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilfilter2.htm (catch his comment on Fram filters about 1/2 way down the page, below the cutaways of the Bosch filters).

Fram buys the 6063 from the same manufacturer as BMW. You can compare the two, same size, finish, weight, internals look the same, just the writing on the outside is different. JON

Fram buys the 6063 from the same manufacturer as BMW. You can compare the two, same size, finish, weight, internals look the same, just the writing on the outside is different. JON

Jon, do you have a link on that? i've read numerous reports, and the Frams always come up as crap, and the BMW & K&Ns (along with a few others) come up solid.

I did a search in previous MOA threads on oil filter tests. here's what i came up with- http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/kandn.shtml This is one that i had remembered reading before.

when you look at the pics and the write-up of the BMW OEM and the Fram, they are clearly NOT the same filters! Getting a filter cheaply and readily should not be the only criterion for filter selection- somewhere in there you/we should be paying attention to quality of product as well.

Last edited:
When you've spent several thousand dollars (at minimum) on a motorcycle, it seems kind of lame to try and save $2 on a filter at the potential risk of toasting your motor.

But hey, that's just me.

Fram:
framopen.jpg

BMW:
bmwopen.jpg

Mahle makes BMW filters. I can find no link, online or elsewhere, between Mahle and Fram.

the pictures provided by Dave are all the proof any of us should need.

oil filters

I think I'll get an old slash [something] with a slinger, so I don't have to buy oil filters.....:bolt

Rinty

When you've spent several thousand dollars (at minimum) on a motorcycle, it seems kind of lame to try and save $2 on a filter at the potential risk of toasting your motor.

:thumb

I remember some years ago an article on oil filters for Porsche 911 engines (which have dry sump systems). Even though all of the filters looked essentially the same on the outside and would fit the oil filter mount, when they cut the filters open, they found many differences inside. On one filter, the oil flow direction through the filter was the opposite of what the dry sump system requires (the Porsche oil system flow is reverse of the usual filter flow direction). Bottom line - until you know FOR SURE that the oil filter you want to use is at least equivalent to the factory recommended oil filter, stay with the factory oil filter.

Of course, as someone below said, it's your engine.

Jon, do you have a link on that? i've read numerous reports, and the Frams always come up as crap, and the BMW & K&Ns (along with a few others) come up solid.

I did a search in previous MOA threads on oil filter tests. here's what i came up with- http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/kandn.shtml This is one that i had remembered reading before.

when you look at the pics and the write-up of the BMW OEM and the Fram, they are clearly NOT the same filters! Getting a filter cheaply and readily should not be the only criterion for filter selection- somewhere in there you/we should be paying attention to quality of product as well.

+1
I stumbled upon that site a year back or so as I always wondered what was inside those filters. Some are not good at all.
FWIW, I use the Purolator PL 10241 and have no issues.

(modified)
FWIW, I use the ********** and have no issues.

i suspect that pretty much all of us could say exactly the same thing about whatever filter we have been using for however many years.
but wouldn't you just HATE to be the first one to report that "I used filter XYZ to save $3.00, and it roasted my engine!"

Back