• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Wyoming from the Southeast

Visian

look out!!!
OK... late, as usual. When you write an article in December, by February you forget that you promised to post routes. :doh

Attached are two routes described in the article. Hopefully, these are remotely correct.

Please note, on the SD route, I put in a few side trips to the Missouri river that may or not be paved. So if that matters to you, just keep on the main road, as the side trips eventually rejoin it.

enjoy!

Ian

barb.jpg

Attachments

• From_SE_to_WY.zip
    67.9 KB · Views: 40
I recently read the article in ON. Very close to the way I like to mix superslab with interesting US/state highways.

It gave me some good ideas to build from.

SE Riders get together

Wyoming is a long way from the SE but the ride might be better if we all rode together. Any one up for a group ride. I am in Savannah GA.

I am in S. Fl. and plan on riding the TAT (Trans America Trail) and the CDT (Continental Divide Trail), or parts thereoff:D , with a 'pit-stop' at the rally if time allows

Located now in southern Alabama near will be traveling northwest on the back roads at snail pace with my daughter and only planning on 350- 400 miles day. But I am interested in a group ride.

If Your Passing Thru

This is an open invitation to stop and say hi and camp at our place in the Flint Hills of Kansas while traveling to the rally. We are on a paved county road in the country. Plenty of shade trees, but it is rustic camping. If enough folks are going to be stopping by, I'll arrange for a portable. I'll be going to the rally, too. PM me if your interested.

Tom

Tom - your middleamericaridersociety.org address in your sig line is not working when typed into a browser. is your site down, or is there a typo in your address?

ian

Tom - your middleamericaridersociety.org address in your sig line is not working when typed into a browser. is your site down, or is there a typo in your address?

ian

I'll check it out. Thanks, Ian.

Tom

There! How 'bout now?

dang... now *there* a ride to the rally.

ian

Thanks! I am looking forward to this, as I may have a someone joining me on this one. I usually ride solo, but a trip like this is better shared. I was going to do the CDT this last summer but the trip to Alaska was quite a ride already and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew..:laugh

This is an open invitation to stop and say hi and camp at our place in the Flint Hills of Kansas while traveling to the rally. We are on a paved county road in the country. Plenty of shade trees, but it is rustic camping. If enough folks are going to be stopping by, I'll arrange for a portable. I'll be going to the rally, too. PM me if your interested.

Tom

I may take you up on that invitation...:deal

Thanks! I am looking forward to this, as I may have a someone joining me on this one. I usually ride solo, but a trip like this is better shared. I was going to do the CDT this last summer but the trip to Alaska was quite a ride already and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew..:laugh

I may take you up on that invitation...:deal

Please do! It might be a lot of fun to gather up a group to ride with to Gillette.

Tom

don't forget Nebraska!!

Have noticed that most of the rides suggested to the rally go around Nebraska. Excetp for I-80, which is straight flat and borring, the 2 lane highways across the state are for the most part smooth, safe and very peaceful. So, when you leave Elmdale,KS, come north through Grand Island, Nebraska and angle up HWy 2 to Alliance, then north to Crawford, then wander into Wyoming. you will not be disapointed. I-80 isn't all Nebraska has to offer. JW

Have noticed that most of the rides suggested to the rally go around Nebraska. Excetp for I-80, which is straight flat and borring, the 2 lane highways across the state are for the most part smooth, safe and very peaceful. So, when you leave Elmdale,KS, come north through Grand Island, Nebraska and angle up HWy 2 to Alliance, then north to Crawford, then wander into Wyoming. you will not be disapointed. I-80 isn't all Nebraska has to offer. JW

I agree! Coming home from last years rally, I road to Rapid City, SD before turning South and riding Hwy 2 thru the Sand Hills. The patrolman that operates out of Alliance, NE was really nice. DAMHIK. I made it from RC to Elmdale in one day, but I don't recommend it as you'll miss too much.

My original plan was to ride West thru CO and up the western side of WY thru Yellowstone and into Gillette from the West. Then come home by way of NE, but my plans are always subject to change.

Tom

That is how I rode up to Alaska last year. I was surprised by the views and it wasn't as boring as Kansas for a change...

That is how I rode up to Alaska last year. I was surprised by the views and it wasn't as boring as Kansas for a change...

Why would anyone think Kansas is boring? Especially someone from the rather vertically challenged area of the Florida Keys.:scratch Kansas is just subtle, very subtle.;)

Actually, Kansas is quite nice to ride through if you stay on the two lane roads and East of 135. North of 70 on 36 or 24 it isn't too bad either. But then, I like riding through open, empty, spaces.:wave

Tom

... I like riding through open, empty, spaces.:wave

kansas is an ascetic experience.

i rode 24 across the state once... really enjoyed it (except for getting a ticket from the state patrol for 65mph, this while getting passed by fully-loaded wheat trucks doing 90.)

the southwest corner is particularly nice... especially the cimarron national grasslands.

ian

Why would anyone think Kansas is boring? Especially someone from the rather vertically challenged area of the Florida Keys.:scratch Kansas is just subtle, very subtle.;)

Actually, Kansas is quite nice to ride through if you stay on the two lane roads and East of 135. North of 70 on 36 or 24 it isn't too bad either. But then, I like riding through open, empty, spaces.:wave

Tom

Don't get me wrong as the Keys and South Florida are really boring for riding...:laugh
I actually was just so surprised by Nebraska. I have been through southern KS a few times but I must admit that I never really explored the State...My bad I guess. Northern KS and southern NE are more alike than I take it??:lurk

With a little planning

you guys and gals coming from the SE can have some fantastic rides. There are roads all over Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, and yes, Kansas and Nebraska, that will keep you awake.

Sometimes, living in the middle of the country has it's drawbacks.

Tom

Back