• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment 02/09/08

S

SNC1923

OK photographers, vacation's over. It's time to get back to some photography. Since it's been a while, we humbly remind you of these simple rules:

• Photos must be shot between Fri. 02/01/08 and Sun. 02/10/08.
  • You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it).
  • No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software).
  • Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
  • Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo. You may post more than one photo, but try to keep it to a handful.
  • Title your photo so it can be referred to later.
  • Post your photos in this thread only. Do not start a thread in reply to this assignment. Please post your photos no later than next Wednesday.
  • And, the most important rule: have fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

This week's theme: "Winter"

Many of us are suffering from cabin fever and simply can't ride. Others of us are be inundated by torrential rains. Some of us live in sunny locales and are gleefully riding day in and day out. What does winter mean to you? Try to avoid walking out the front door and shooting the snow in your yard; instead, take your time and compose a thoughtful photograph that says, "This is my winter."

This assignment may prove to be a challenge for those of us in the Southwest and Southeast. Remember, this photo doesn't have to be stereotypically winter, but should say "winter" nonetheless.

TIP: If snow predominates your photo, trying overexposing (as much as two stops). This will render the snow bright white instead of a dull gray.

Now put your galoshes on and get shooting.

...and it's not due until the 2nd of September?
Then I remembered, you do dates wrongly!

All of our local snow melted yesterday. Local in terms of immediate walking, there's still plenty up in the hills. Looks like a ride out and a Gerber plug in are required.

Now yesterday....

249694876-L.jpg

NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!NOT FAIR!!

I am in Orlando, Florida. Not a sign of winter here. Well, there are many snowbirds in Winnebagos and that's a sure sign of the season, but nothing else...absolutely nothing comes to mind.

Maybe a picture of Edgard Winter?

Gil,

Even in Tucson we got snow on rare occasions.

This photo is an example from a year ago, but is NOT my winter submission. It almost lasted until noon:

Attachments

• saguaro-3.jpg
    saguaro-3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 388
As Tom said, remember to overexpose to compensate for the white snow.

Good point, well made.

Of course the other tip is...hide under the decking, then synchronise sticking a twig up a birds bum to taking the shot. That way the beak will be open!

My submission for February 9:

Venus, Jupiter, and the Moon Sunday morning in the winter sky above the Sonoran desert.

Attachments

• venus-jupiter-moon-1.jpg
    venus-jupiter-moon-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
I was stuck in Berlin this weekend, so I thought I'd take some of the ubiquitous tourist snap-shots.

I should have used a fill-flash here, but I only had a few seconds to setup the shot.

A Tender Moment

I'm not sure that this one works with the theme, but this widow's winter sadness was palpable to me.

Posing for Pictures

How many times have you been here? I suppose some ideas transcend cultural boundaries.

Lebensmittel - After a long "journey"...

(consider this the answer)

Dinner for One (Grillhaxe und Bier)

(...and here: the question)

Yess!

Alex, love the bones and beer shot. Doing a CSI on that stein I'd say it took 6-7 trips to your mouth to finish it. When the head sticks to an empty glass, yowser, that's some good stuff! For the bones, well, from what I've seen the Germans don't have a wide variety, but what they do, they do very, very well. You know, I've seen lots of pictures of full plates of food, but the empty plate/stein......that's a powerful message. It's kinda like, yo, you missed it, it was goooooood.

Alex, love the bones and beer shot. Doing a CSI on that stein I'd say it took 6-7 trips to your mouth to finish it. When the head sticks to an empty glass, yowser, that's some good stuff! For the bones, well, from what I've seen the Germans don't have a wide variety, but what they do, they do very, very well. You know, I've seen lots of pictures of full plates of food, but the empty plate/stein......that's a powerful message. It's kinda like, yo, you missed it, it was goooooood.

And it was, good. Thanks for the great comments. I had walked for several k past countless Imbis and vendors. I nearly stopped for some spiced wine at an open Antique bazaar, but I had a focus: Louisen Brau in my old neighborhood. We moved the business across town, and all I wanted was a German Pils and some Pig’s former knuckles.

I thought for a while about how to present the meal. I wanted to try something different, but the image of pig remnants may not have been appetizing to some without the view to the past.

Back