• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photos: Free Association COMMENTARY

No photos next week...I'm heading out for vacation in Key West. A week of snorkeling, Key West pinks (shrimp), oysters, Key West Sunset Ale, and a little photography.

Each day, to make sure I'm having a good time I check the fun-o-meter...

177520913_wkch3-M-1.jpg

Pjk

Hmmm. It seems like I have become a lightening rod for someones grist mill.

It seems Lamble has taken a lot of time and research to develop a strategy to enforce the rules, while singling me out.

The thread has been fun. I didnÔÇÖt realize the rules were so rigid and I donÔÇÖt think most of the active posters did. Lamble admitted he didnÔÇÖt remember the rules until he found an articulated basis to throw a wet blanket over the activities of some folks having fun.

The convention in landscape photo forums is to identify the place of the photo. I have used posted photos to plan trips to the place and as a result have found value in my lurking. I was hoping that would be the case here, however the game took me over. But I appreciate knowing what the picture is about and I get a chuckle from some humorous quips with the label. But that appears to be against the rules, I mean its like.. fun.

The thread was one of the most successful threads outside the vanity thread, post your mug. It seems to me it was the result of intellectual engagement and curiosity of where/what the subject was about. I think the root bound rules will keep the thread from flourishing, as it would a tree in a 5 gal bucket. If I would have noticed the restrictions I wouldn't have posted.

I didnÔÇÖt want to become controversial so I just wonÔÇÖt return. Hell, IÔÇÖm going to Baja to shot the race at the end of the month and IÔÇÖll stop at Yosemite, Mono Lake and the Salton Sea on the way down. I better pick up some 4gig cards, IÔÇÖm going to take a lot of pictures.

It was great fun playing with the active posters and my favorite was the bud series. See ya.

Hmmm…. It seems like I have become a lightening rod for someone’s grist mill.

It seems Lamble has taken a lot of time and research to develop a strategy to enforce the rules, while singling me out.

The thread has been fun. I didn’t realize the rules were so rigid and I don’t think most of the active posters did. Lamble admitted he didn’t remember the rules until he found an articulated basis to throw a wet blanket over the activities of some folks having fun.

The convention in landscape photo forums is to identify the place of the photo. I have used posted photos to plan trips to the place and as a result have found value in my lurking. I was hoping that would be the case here, however the “game” took me over. But I appreciate knowing what the picture is about and I get a chuckle from some humorous quips with the label. But that appears to be against the rules, I mean it’s like….. fun.

The thread was one of the most successful threads outside the vanity thread, post your mug. It seems to me it was the result of intellectual engagement and curiosity of where/what the subject was about. I think the root bound rules will keep the thread from flourishing, as it would a tree in a 5 gal bucket. If I would have noticed the restrictions I wouldn't have posted.

I didn’t want to become controversial so I just won’t return. Hell, I’m going to Baja to shot the race at the end of the month and I’ll stop at Yosemite, Mono Lake and the Salton Sea on the way down. I better pick up some 4gig cards, I’m going to take a lot of pictures.

It was great fun playing with the active posters and my favorite was the bud series. See ya’….

Wow, martyrdom and the injured party ploy.

It was fun and flourished before you started posting, it was fun and flourished while you were posting and I dare say it will continue to be fun and flourish, irrespective of the rules and probably because of the rules too. The idea is so good.

As I've said, but you've chosen to ignore, I don't care what the rules are, as long as they are the same for everyone and that if the Mod who set this up is happy to change to suit the majority then so be it. When you become the majority, let him know!

Enjoy your rides and I hope you get the pictures you need.

*sigh*

I hate to say it, but its crap like this that is driving the mods away....

*sigh*

I hate to say it, but its crap like this that is driving the mods away....

I suppose an alternative would be that the Mods supported the rules they wrote and made them clear for all to follow, which I thought was the case with this forum. Everyone happy to abide with the specs that were laid out by you guys, they are clear and simple.

No one has suggested anyone should leave. This additional thread was even set up to support those with a need to write where pics were taken, or to pass comments on images. Everything has been done to accommodate people.

The popularity of the thread is unquestioned, the fun aspect for some seemed tainted by the addition of text (me for one but not unduly).

So the compulsion to leave rather than adopt what everyone else has, has to be an individuals choice. It's not been enforced, insinuated, or requested even.

It boils down to,"I don't want to play the same as everyone else, so I'm taking my ball home".

Shame, he was a great contributor too. Some nice shots. Hope he changes his mind.

For all those pontificating on how or why to moderate, STOP.

if you have a specific complaint please shoot a message to the moderator. If you have a complaint about the moderator or how he is moderating, bring it up with the Forum Liaison.

There will be no more of this ridiculous idiocy on this thread.

Period.

If there is, the posts will be deleted without notice and the poster will receive a vacation to consider whether he or she can abide by our guidelines.

Now - a photo :)

aussicrab.jpg

if you have a specific complaint please shoot a message to the moderator. If you have a complaint about the moderator or how he is moderating, bring it up with the Forum Liaison.

Period.

If there is, the posts will be deleted without notice and the poster will receive a vacation to consider whether he or she can abide by our guidelines.

aussicrab.jpg

For the record...only respect for the Mods.

Posts with attached images removed ?

I was looking through the Photo Association thread to make sure I was not posting a photo for the second time.

I was surprised to see that early posts that I had made with attached images were gone from the thread. The follow up photos (that are linked to external sites) are still there.

Does anyone know if there is there a limit on the number of attached images I can post? Are they deleted after a certain amount of time?

I imagine the Photo Association thread is consuming a lot of bandwidth and storage space.

I suppose an alternative would be that the Mods supported the rules they wrote and made them clear for all to follow, which I thought was the case with this forum. Everyone happy to abide with the specs that were laid out by you guys, they are clear and simple.

No one has suggested anyone should leave. This additional thread was even set up to support those with a need to write where pics were taken, or to pass comments on images. Everything has been done to accommodate people.

The popularity of the thread is unquestioned, the fun aspect for some seemed tainted by the addition of text (me for one but not unduly).

So the compulsion to leave rather than adopt what everyone else has, has to be an individuals choice. It's not been enforced, insinuated, or requested even.

It boils down to,"I don't want to play the same as everyone else, so I'm taking my ball home".

Shame, he was a great contributor too. Some nice shots. Hope he changes his mind.

"I don't want to play the same as everyone else, so I'm taking my ball home" that's not really how I see it at all, and I'm nottaking anything away, this is afterall an area for you, the members, its not mine, not now or ever was.

sorry you feel that way but here it is from my perspective.

When someone kinks sand in your sand box you have two options
One: you can ask them to leave or
Two: you can leave.

The first (and really only time) that someone kicked sand in this sandbox I asked them to leave (i.e. banned them) for a few days and for that I received an almost endless rash of sh*t. I was insulted, my integrity was questioned and someone even went so far as to suggest the very person I had banned was someone I should look to for how to behave in a professional way!!???

So when I saw what I considered a rather silly and pointless argument, with a few (minor) insults thrown in, in this, my favorite area, I figured I would post a reminder of what this forum is about. That didn’t seem to work too well so..
I am left with option two, leave, at least for a while and see how I feel as time goes by.

Understand that its really not about this forum(and I want ensure you guys know that it is NOT about the photo forum!) as it is the (other) forums in general, in fact I have always felt this area was the one calm harbor in the storm, which is why I was upset to see this thread go so far off topic.

The simple fact of the matter is that I have this odd idea that adults should act like, well, adults, but in all too many threads in the other areas, I see them acting like or worse than, spoiled children that just can’t resist throwing sand or picking arguments or starting fights at the first opportunity (and seemingly for their own amusement in many cases). Quite frankly I don’t need that in my life.
To me the job of a moderator should be to lead, to ensure threads are in the most appropriate area and move them if they aren’t, answer questions, guide those new to the forum and should only occasionally have to step in when things go a bit astray, rather than having to act like a school marm and break up fights in the schoolyard. When their role becomes one of having to tell adults how to behave like adults, it becomes old rather quickly. I have no interest in being a policeman. I guess I’m just too much of a nice guy to want to play that role. Bottom line, when it stops being fun to visit the forums, why bother? And right now with all the bitching and moaning and those folks who simply can’t let things go, it is no longer fun. And the idea that I have to wind my way between the crap to find the good just isn’t worth it, there are plenty of other places to hang out where I don’t have to be bothered with that.
It boils down to this:
If I have the option to walk in an open field full of fresh green grass or an overgrown cow pasture, well, I’ll take the grassy field any day!

So there it is, take it any way you want.

rocketman

over and out

edit: Seems I need to eat some crow as I mis-spoke(typed) per the first part above as I was not the one being refered to. So all I can say is .... MMMMM good!

The rest still stands however.

RM

Last edited:

Period.

aussicrab.jpg

smack-down !

:bolt

Let's get back to discussing the pics here folks.

And, lets keep the pics to pics, it makes the associations more rewarding when you have to work out what they are.

On the pics, take a look at the OP again, the association works best when the pics move the associations along and don't just repeat the subject matter as the OP example indicates.

Let's get back to discussing the pics here folks.

And, lets keep the pics to pics, it makes the associations more rewarding when you have to work out what they are.

On the pics, take a look at the OP again, the association works best when the pics move the associations along and don't just repeat the subject matter as the OP example indicates.

I have words in a lot of my postings cause I think it's interesting or amusing. I'm likely to keep that up.

I have words in a lot of my postings cause I think it's interesting or amusing. I'm likely to keep that up.

I suppose that's a matter of opinion then isn't it. I also guess you should be lobbying the Mod to change what he set this up to be, as you obviously don't like what was established.

Let's say you and some buddy's from your local club decide to go for a ride together. One guy decides to lead and says that you're heading to the beach and then stopping for ice cream. You all agree that is a good idea. As you're riding, he decides he's hungry and stops at a burger stand for lunch. What do you do? Do you demand that you all leave the hamburger stand because it was not what the plan was? Do you order a soda and look forward to getting an ice cream later. Or do you get on your bike and ride on to the ice cream stand alone and vow never to ride with those people again because they are so fickle? Do you contact your local club and demand that all further rides arrive at the destination they set out for as planned?

I tend to roll with the punches in matters of little or no consequence.

I think I'll go for a ride now and get some more pics

Let's say you and some buddy's from your local club decide to go for a ride together. One guy decides to lead and says that you're heading to the beach and then stopping for ice cream. You all agree that is a good idea. As you're riding, he decides he's hungry and stops at a burger stand for lunch. What do you do? Do you demand that you all leave the hamburger stand because it was not what the plan was? Do you order a soda and look forward to getting an ice cream later. Or do you get on your bike and ride on to the ice cream stand alone and vow never to ride with those people again because they are so fickle? Do you contact your local club and demand that all further rides arrive at the destination they set out for as planned?

I tend to roll with the punches in matters of little or no consequence.

I think I'll go for a ride now and get some more pics

Good point well made. My point is however that if I were to join a ride where the leader had said well have a lead and a tail, and then the lead decided not to lead and everyone went there own way, you'd no longer have a group ride.

I took a quick look at your last three text supported postings. And I came to a conclusion that it must be a cultural differences thing...I don't get it, the interest or humour thing. A picture of charred trees, with text of "Charred trees" A pic of ducks with "quackers" a pic of the camp site being constructed and text saying it's a campsite.

If these are examples of text that need to be there, then surely they'd work if posted in the text thread against the reference to the picture.

Pic 12345 charred trees in Australia or wherever, pic 4321 ducks quacking in a pond. There is an avenue that's been set up where the thread can stay as was intended and anyone wishing to express themselves with the written word can do so too. Even expand upon the information with location, camera type, reason the pic is important.

As you saw , a few words of text, then become a few more, so we end up with a banter about chairs on a recent three or four pic sequence. It added nothing to the association of visual images of different chairs, which everyone could clearly see, without the need to read it too.

Back