• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photos: Free Association COMMENTARY

If you two want to bicker, you're going to have to do it in pictures.

snin49l.jpg

If you two want to bicker, you're going to have to do it in pictures.

Hahahaha....nice cartoon!

In keeping with the least mileage contest, we could also do new threads. :stick The all-text picture thread, the Torags thread, the no-Torags thread, the green pictures thread, the red pictures thread... :D

I could go for an all sidecar thread, with or without Spirit the Dog. :clap

Just being true to the cause and the OP...perhaps I'd missed the message where the thread had "evolved", in which case I whole heartedly apologise without reservation.

I think evolution just happens and we all play along. Evolution is seldom announced. :p

...and that evolution advocates what exactly?

I see Torag found one posters words were too many. How many are acceptable?
What has "evolution" - not abiding by the OP stipulations because you can't be bothered or believe they don't apply to you- deemed is acceptable, and to whom?

Is it selective?
And if it is, is that fair?

We also had pictures that people hadn't taken themselves...isn't that an evolutionary step too. It certainly seems to have as much legitamacy as adding text, as the stipulation saying it shouldn't be done was in the same OP that is getting ignored.

for clarity; Torags said HIS words were too many, he did not pass judgment on someone else's volume, especially when the poster had 1 post (a noob).

I was just trying maintain the core idea with a constructive suggestion.

If you want to whine, knock yourself out...

for clarity; Torags said HIS words were too many, he did not pass judgment on someone else's volume, especially when the poster had 1 post (a noob).

I was just trying maintain the core idea with a constructive suggestion.

If you want to whine, knock yourself out...

I too gave constructive comments, I PM'd him so as not to
1. cause any embarrassment to the guy
2. not have to include even more text in a text free zone

Perhaps you feel that your amount of posts give you some different level of input than anyone else, some sort of ownership?

Eitherway, my concern (substitute whine when it's contrary to your opinion) is that there were a set of criteria that we set off with, that noobs can refer to and therefore if we expect them to adhere, so should we.

And, if your words "were too many", as you point out, obviously you do believe there's a limit we should apply...what is it, so we can all join in?

Chill out...this is the kindler gentler part of the forum, remember?

The Free Association thread is like New England weather. If you don't like the direction it's going in, wait a few minutes, it will change.

In keeping with the least mileage contest, we could also do new threads. :stick The all-text picture thread, the Torags thread, the no-Torags thread, the green pictures thread, the red pictures thread... :D

In that spirit, I second the suggestion for a RED picture thread.

But I'm retired so I have no time right now :blush

Voni
sMiling

Maybe a Blue!

[:heart I think blue is good too! And being retired is the best!b[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Chill out...this is the kindler gentler part of the forum, remember?

The Free Association thread is like New England weather. If you don't like the direction it's going in, wait a few minutes, it will change.

I would share your optimism if only it were not the predominant poster who was the instigator and propogator.

There are two things I will always take exception to.
1. Hypocrasy
and
2. Arbitrarily deciding what is best for everyone else, because it suits you.

Oh and
3. Attempting to demean someone elses points of view by using derogatory and dismissive terms like 'whine', when your arguement has no basis.

This thread was set up as the place for text relating to Free Association for exactly one purpose, to eliminate text from the photographs.
Now either approach the Mods and ask them to change the OP specs or live with what you joined in, voluntarily and in accordance with those specifications.
Alternatively lay out what is expected of anyone new
"You must not post any text until such a time that you feel you have established some form of priviledge which excludes you from compliance. This point will be when you feel appropriate and will not be questionable. At that time you can just make up whatever rules you like".

What was decided about including other people pictures by the way?

I guess what I've been trying to say is I don't feel strongly about having rules for the free association thread because it is there for fun and I don't find rules fun. I have not gone back to look at the original post.

I think it has been assumed that we are posting our own photography...

I guess what I've been trying to say is I don't feel strongly about having rules for the free association thread because it is there for fun and I don't find rules fun. I have not gone back to look at the original post.

I think it has been assumed that we are posting our own photography...

I hadn't memorised the rules. I hadn't referred to them. I hadn't known what an OP was, until it was brought up recently. It was bringing them to someone's notice, in public, that first made me look and that's why I thought "what a cheek"
rule breaker, turned rule maker.
Sure Torag is in every way a great person, but that smacked of hypocrasy.

What Gail said..
the photography forum is (or at least was concieved to be) a place for sharing your visions of the wonder and beauty (and oaccasion oddity!:D )of the world around us

this has gotten WAY off topic, discuss the photo's in the Free Assiciation Picture thread and leave the "attidutes" at the door, they will be there upon your departure! :stick

So please folks, lets not let in any "spillage" from the "outside" creap (creep(?)) in here, OK?

Thanks

Jeff

Here is the original post:

This idea is blatantly stolen from a number of photo forums, including dgrin.com. It's a lot of fun. Someone will post a picture. The next forum member should post another picture that reminds him or her of the first in some way: the subject matter, location, color, shape, theme, or other association. The idea is similar to free association in Freudian psychology: "I will say a word, then you say the first word that enters your mind." Instead of words, however, we use photos.

Example:

Photo 1: two guys riding their GSs off road
Photo 2: children playing in a sand box
Photo 3: a sandy beach
Photo 4: a surfer catching a wave
Photo 5: a rider carving the twisties
Photo 6: etc.

The photos may have been taken at any time, but they must by your photo taken by you.

NOTE: In order for this to work, you must respond to the photo immediately preceding yours. Part of the challenge here is timing. Please do not respond to previous photos--only the last one in the thread. Responding to images further back breaks the continuity of the free association.

This works best if the photos speak for themselves, so please refrain from any text. If you want to discuss any images, please start a photo association discussion thread.

I find that that descriptions, and other text detract from the spontaneity and creativity of the thread. The whole idea of this thread is to let the photo speak for itself.

I'm not complaining, I prefer the thread as it was intended to be.

Back