Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do not downshift..... do not

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
    As an inveterate downshifter, a friend once pointed out to me that brake linings or pads are a lot cheaper than a transmission.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    On what? The guy just keeps saying "do not downshift." Heck, you upshift, you gotta downshift at some point. That's my take on it.
    Right!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMoore View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but I don't think it was caused by downshifting. I think it sounds like a classic "transmission misalignment causing clutch splines to slowly devour the input shaft." Also, I'm sorry to say it is proablaby gonna happen every 30K miles until you sell the bike or replace the transmission.

Sorry,
    Now that's the most intelligent answer posted.

This would be a manufacturers defect; Jim do you know of any successful claims on the manufacturer for this?

I haven't spoken to the tech yet, I'll post when I pick up the bike

Hmmm... I haven't noticed any clutch chatter. If misaligned that could result. The throw out bearing would be toast.

In 500k miles I've never worn out a clutch -- and I've put about 100k miles on three of them. I've also never worn out a clutch in a car. (When we put a rebuilt motor in our '86 Mazda 626 with 180k miles on it, the mechanic asked if we wanted to put the old clutch back in as it was less than half worn.)

Just as you should practice your braking skills, you should practice your shifting -- especially downshifting. You should be able to downshift even into first (at an appropriate speed, of course) while riding smoothly, without chirping the rear tire.

If you ever take one of Reg Pridmore's CLASSes and get to ride on the back of his bike, you'll notice that you can't feel him shift gears, he is ultra smooth.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    If you ever take one of Reg Pridmore's CLASSes and get to ride on the back of his bike, you'll notice that you can't feel him shift gears, he is ultra smooth.
    I did once. It felt like his K-bike had a CVT in it! Amazing!
    Mike White
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    In 500k miles I've never worn out a clutch -- and I've put about 100k miles on three of them. I've also never worn out a clutch in a car. (When we put a rebuilt motor in our '86 Mazda 626 with 180k miles on it, the mechanic asked if we wanted to put the old clutch back in as it was less than half worn.)

Just as you should practice your braking skills, you should practice your shifting -- especially downshifting. You should be able to downshift even into first (at an appropriate speed, of course) while riding smoothly, without chirping the rear tire.

Give me a break. I didn't ask for your advice on how to operate a motorcycle which I have been doing since 1965 (dirt & hardtop).

Frankly I'm not interest in your car history since individuals driving vary so much.

It might occur to you, I know more about cars/motos than you do.

end of rant.

How to shift your beemer: (1) Short shift between 1-2 & 2-3 on the way up and never downshift while rolling at any speed but a slow walking speed on the way down between 3-2 & 2-1. (2) On the 6 speed trans forget about 6th gear especially with the extra weight of a passenger and or luggage on board. (3) To help improve clutch, throttle, and shifter co-ordination try riding with the choke control set on the fast idle position. By practicing these steps I'll wager your trans input shafts will remain as new at 100K miles provided there is good engine/trans alignment which I believe there most likely always is. Input shaft splines do not like shock simple as that so if you want to pop that clutch and ride like a fool get a ninja.
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Downshifting puts less stress than upshifting and opening the throttle. Far more HP in acceleration than deceleration. Downshifting won't hurt the transmission, assuming of course that the person doing the shifting is actually using the clutch during the shift process.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

srb
    Quote Originally Posted by torags View Post
    Give me a break. I didn't ask for your advice on how to operate a motorcycle which I have been doing since 1965 (dirt & hardtop).

Frankly I'm not interest in your car history since individuals driving vary so much.

end of rant.

You're the one who started a thread with 'do not downshift'. Just sayin'.

billpierce
    If I can't down shift my BMW without breaking it, I'll sell it and by something more durable.

Transmission miss alignment is well documented and most likely the cause. IMHO.

PS If you don't want opinions then don't post.

c'mon guys, lighten up. Methinks his Zanax script ran out.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

lgarza
    Quote Originally Posted by torags View Post

end of rant.
    Idon't understand what was you posting about, but it implied that you cause a damage that cost $2k, for downshifting. One might think two things, there is something wrong with your transmission of you don't downshift correctly.

I downshift all the way to 1st gear, blip the throttle, with practice becomes natural and smooth. I have to say it takes some practice to master down-shifting while breaking.
    even my 140k miles civic, I bought it with 80kmiles, and I haven't had the need to change break paths, and the clutch is just as healthy.

lgg.

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by billpierce View Post
    PS If you don't want opinions then don't post.
    Or, be a little more specific about your "problem".
    Mike White

Hey Jim you hit the nail on the head.

It was transmission misalignment. It is a manufacturer defect. BTW I have 28,000 miles on the bike.

The tech told me he has had a few of them and it took a long time for them (BMW) to figure it out. The tech said it would never happen again since he changed the casting.

I wondered how the tech could order parts before he took it apart. I'm going to try to get BMW to pay for all or some of it.

Thanks for your response Jim Moore

I posted to ventilate, not to ask advice on how to operate a motorcycle, read the words. BTW I was wrong about the downshifting, thank goodness - my habit can continue.

If you mean "don't throw it down a gear and snap the clutch out so the bikes gets all loopy", yeah. But properly matching rpm and smoothly engaging the next gear down isn't a problem at all.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.