• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone have Nat Cycle Street Shield or Deflector Screen

G

gbrickell

Wouldn't mind picking up a smaller shield for my 1975 R90/6. I was wondering if anyone has a National Cycle Street Shield or Deflector Screen mounted on theirs, and if so, insight on it. Ideally, the OE s model cafe style setup appeals to me, but the cost if pretty high, so probably out of my league. Thanks.

screen

I had a Deflector that moved from bike to bike over several years. Easy to install and very effective once you find the right angle. Always bought directly from National and found them very good to work with.

I have one on my bike. Bought it directly from National. It was rather easy to install and once you get it adjusted it seems to work pretty good. I would buy another if needed.

screen

Thanks. I have the NC biggest Plexifairing model, I find that it is a little large for my taste, and was thinking of ordering a smaller shield. R90shackrig, which model do you have?

Do you guys have any pics of your bikes with the screens on that you could share?

Matt

I have a Street Shield on a /7. I wear a Shuberth flipup and can't ride at all without earplugs due to wind noise; with ear plugs I have no complaint. Weather protection is adequate for riding in mid thirties temperature with appropriate clothing. Heated grips would make for an enjoyable ride.

The Street Shield has the same generic lower mounting system as used with the taller Plexifairing II and III. I don't care for the hose clamp setup, so I designed my own mounts that attach beneath the headlight mount bolts. The mounts required a bit of welding, and the ball tipped mounting rods had to be bent in a vice and shortened. The original NC plastic strap and wing nut are retained. The mounts are virtually hidden from view when the windshield is installed, making for a clean installation, even when the screen is removed. Also I found it necessary to bend the upper ball tipped mounting rods to obtain a good fitting. A lot of work to be sure, but resulted in a tidy robust installation.

Hope this helps.

I have had a National Cycle Deflector deluxe on my '81 R100 for about a year. I like it alot. Makes the bike very comfortable for several hundred mile rides as it knocks just the right amount of wind off my torso while keeping my head in clean air. The deluxe model pulls off in seconds although I never removed it after getting the rake adjusted to my liking. I had the idea I would pull it off for Florida summers but rode all last summer with it. I looked for a while for a little windshield like this before seeing a Deflector on a 90/6. Also it does not detract from the naked standard look of the R which was important to me. I have a picture of the bike toward the end of Post your Airhead pic as I have only recently joined this august forum.

Has anybody used one of the "sport shields" from National on a R100?? I found this modified 77 R100 with a nice sport shield, but i dont know who makes it or what they did to mount it????

Attachments

• BMW R100  windshield.jpg
    BMW R100 windshield.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 131
nat deflector

I have had a National Cycle Deflector deluxe on my '81 R100 for about a year. I like it alot. Makes the bike very comfortable for several hundred mile rides as it knocks just the right amount of wind off my torso while keeping my head in clean air. The deluxe model pulls off in seconds although I never removed it after getting the rake adjusted to my liking. I had the idea I would pull it off for Florida summers but rode all last summer with it. I looked for a while for a little windshield like this before seeing a Deflector on a 90/6. Also it does not detract from the naked standard look of the R which was important to me. I have a picture of the bike toward the end of Post your Airhead pic as I have only recently joined this august forum.

Thanks. I ordered the screen you have today ( deflector dx ) in no small part based on your recommendation and others in this thread. Appreciate the input. I really like that tiny flyscreen archander refers to...wouldn't mind knowing where to pick one of those up. The deflector seems slightly smaller than the street shield, so that is why I went for that one, seems to have a better chance of having my head in clean air with a little less profile. Anyway, again, thanks all for the input on this thread.

I bought the $109 street shield. Plenty of adjustment which is good because you can really screw up the airflow and make it real miserable. I have stopped on the side of the road a few times just tweaking it a bit until I found a nice setup. No big deal though, I'm sure everyone goes through it.

national cycle deflector shield on slash 6

finally got the screen installed, a pic for anyone interested...

P1000138.jpg

Love mine!

I have the small tinted screen on my '75 R90/6. Combined with low Europa bars and bar end mirrors it works great!

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN

Years ago I used windshields like that on my airheads. We had a company just outside of Memphis called Cyclear, which made motorcycle windshields. They had a stack of rejects, they piled over in the corner. I would go over every few months and pick one out and try it. All different sizes from fly screens to the full handlbar shield that was as big as a fairing. They were priced pretty cheap, probably 1/3 to 1/4 of what the motorcycle retail stores charged. Usually one of the guys working there would come over and help me mount it. they probably do the same today. There now called Memphis Shades. address 179 S Main Collierville TN. 38107 tel 901 853 0293, 0264, or 901 854 0416. Give Im a call and see if there still doing it. Might be a good reason to go to Memphis, visit Beale St listen to some Blues and get a cheap windshield. ps most of the time I never could see the flaw that made them 2nds.

Back