• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flat tires

djkehoe

I am returning to riding again after a 18 year hiatus while raising my 8 sons. Now, insteading of corrupting them, I ride with them. I have recently purchased a '78 /7 with rebuilt RS transplanted engine. My question is tire repair. I have snowflake wheels and don't really know if they are tubed or tubeless! Help. What is the best temp fix for flats? Plugs, CO2 inflation and limp into the nearest dealer? Also, I always ran Contis on my old R90 /6. Are they still the preferred ride? Any opinions would be appreciated since I hope to tour this summer.

Snowflake wheels are tube type wheels. As for the tire repair, I haven't had to repair a tube type in so long I had better let someone else answer that.

I just know that someone is going to reply and talk about how they're running their snowflakes with a tubless tire.

I'd like to point out that snowflakes don't have the correct shape on the rim flange to be a proper tubeless tire. They're called rimlockes and they hold the tire on in case there's a loss of pressure.

To patch a tubed tire, you need to pull the tube out and patch it. The easier thing to do is to carry a spare tube. I used to carry a rear tube, since rear tires seem to collect flats (why is that?) and I could stretch the tube to fit on the front.

who has used those right angled tire valve stems?$10.95 each...they require dismounting the tire to install I believe.I am interested because it is always such a chore to fit gauges and hoses in the small space in my snowflake wheels.

djkehoe said:
Any opinions would be appreciated since I hope to tour this summer.

If yur snowflakes are tubed, ya need a spare tube, patch kit, 3 tire irons, a working center stand, tools to remove either wheel and a way to put air back in yur tires.

The only way to do this is to practice.

Take off yur tires and tubes and remount them with only the tools you will carry on the bike.

Search, and you can find a bunch of how to's on the web for this.

If snowflakes are tubless, buy a BMW patch kit and practice with it on yur tire after it is worn out and before you put on a new tire.

Here is a link to fix'n flats off road...Same concepts
Flat fix'n

Last edited:
Snowflakes/flats

Fellow Airheads.................

I've had 9 flats in the last 39 years of riding, FIVE of them on "Igor" my 82 RS!!!! ALL of them have been rear flats (front tire lofts a sharp object, rear tire (usually fairly worn) catches said sharp object, and Hold On!!!!! Here we go again!!

My snowflakes are for TUBES (aren't they all??), but ofcourse I run Tubeless tires on them (Dunlop 491's now, but Metz for years).

I have chosen to take the wimp route in dealing with the "F" (flat) word. I have expanded my AAA coverage to tow my bike (RV+ coverage) to a motorcycle shop to have it repaired.........

However there are some tricks I use.........Fix a flat can be used, but it will be VERY messy when disassembly takes place.

For the last 50K miles or so, I add a rubber grommet to each valve stem-they are sold as "pass thru" grommets at hardware stores, 1/4 inch inside diameter will do. This grommet is kept between the steel flat washer and the rim. It does NOT have to be tight for normal riding......but when (not if) the time comes you can tighten said grommet and it will seal air trying to escape from around the stem!!! This is where most of the air goes when a tube goes flat.

PS-there are several other/better alternatives to AAA: the AMA has a "Mo-Tow" program that I'm thinking of going to, and the BMW dealers have a similar deal for new bikes-unsure if available for our "older" bikes.

KBasa said:
... rear tires seem to collect flats (why is that?)

Front tire flips the nail up for rear tire to hit point on.

A defense is a front mudflap or longer fender.

jgr451 said:
who has used those right angled tire valve stems?$10.95 each...they require dismounting the tire to install I believe.I am interested because it is always such a chore to fit gauges and hoses in the small space in my snowflake wheels.

If you're referring to the metal screw-on right-angle adapter sold by BMW, it's NOT intended for use in motion.

I have not used them in a motorcycle application, but if it is the valve stem that goes through the wheel, they should be fine. The down side of them are they offer a larger target to rocks, etc.

Back