• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2730/2720/2610 Question

All,

EdgeGPS was great, in fact so great that I ordered 1 unit (paid for 1 unit) and they shipped me 2. :) Not sure how that happened but called them up to let them know and the rep told me it was for "customer satisfaction". :) He then thanked me for calling and gave me an RMA to ship it back.

Any reward for being honest enough to contact them about the double ship error?

Just askin.....................;)

Fuse

I am officially GPS'ed.

Got it all hooked up, running, updated 2008 maps, 2 gig card.... :blah

Ran power straight to the battery with a fuse.

(still have 6 open spaces on my Centech box since it's switched :whistle )

Just wondering... I put a 5 amp fuse in it, should I go with that or a different size?

Any opinions?

:dunno

Kevin

Fuse Size

I am officially GPS'ed.

Got it all hooked up, running, updated 2008 maps, 2 gig card.... :blah

Ran power straight to the battery with a fuse.

(still have 6 open spaces on my Centech box since it's switched :whistle )

Just wondering... I put a 5 amp fuse in it, should I go with that or a different size?

Any opinions?

Kevin

You should put the same size on the line as the one that came with it.

Any reward for being honest enough to contact them about the double ship error?

Just askin.....................;)

Nope...just thanks and to be honest I'm not sure I would've taken anything. As someone once told me..."Character is what you do when people aren't watching"

:) Just a thanks is good enough...I was just hoping they wouldn't ask me to ship it back at my cost...LOL! Never know these days!

It takes about 30 seconds to unlock and remove mine (2610) from the bike and about 15 seconds to hook it up in the car. I leave the car power cable and bean bag dash mount in the car and the bike power cable and M/C cradle is permanently mounted on the bike.
John

What are using to lock it on the bike?
I got a RAM mount from Touratech with the RAM cradle and installed it on my GS handle bars.

It doesn't look like you could "lock" the unit on the cradle on mine.

Thanks
Kevin

Any opinions?

Kevin

The specs on the 2610 list 6 watts power consumption. At 12 - 13 volts, that's .5 amps or a tad over. The motorcycle mount comes with a 1 amp fuse.
I'm thinking a 5 amp fuse would cause the wiring to act as the fuse(a bad thing:uhoh) , judging from the size of the M/C mount power wire.
Better to go with a 1 amp fuse.

Nope...just thanks and to be honest I'm not sure I would've taken anything. As someone once told me..."Character is what you do when people aren't watching"

:) Just a thanks is good enough...I was just hoping they wouldn't ask me to ship it back at my cost...LOL! Never know these days!

I'm sure you feel better though eh Gabe.:whistle

What are using to lock it on the bike?
I got a RAM mount from Touratech with the RAM cradle and installed it on my GS handle bars.

It doesn't look like you could "lock" the unit on the cradle on mine.

Thanks
Kevin

Perhaps "lock" is a bit overstated. I use the Garmin motorcycle cradle which has a pull up/push down catch. the catch is "locked" with a tiny torx screw. I'm not sure what the RAM cradle looks like.

John

Perhaps "lock" is a bit overstated. I use the Garmin motorcycle cradle which has a pull up/push down catch. the catch is "locked" with a tiny torx screw. I'm not sure what the RAM cradle looks like.

John

Thanks.

I don't think I can lock the GPS to the cradle with the RAM mount. They do sell a locking arm but that would just keep someone from stealing the cradle not the GPS. :scratch

Kevin

You should put the same size on the line as the one that came with it.

The specs on the 2610 list 6 watts power consumption. At 12 - 13 volts, that's .5 amps or a tad over. The motorcycle mount comes with a 1 amp fuse.
I'm thinking a 5 amp fuse would cause the wiring to act as the fuse(a bad thing:uhoh) , judging from the size of the M/C mount power wire.
Better to go with a 1 amp fuse.

Thanks guys! I'll pick up a couple.

:bow

Kevin

Well, I did it

I ordered the 2610 over the weekend. I will be using it on a '76 R90/6 with Windjammer III. So as not to waste time re-inventing the wheel so to speak..
What mounting combinations have been successfully used by others?

I see that Garmin has a bracket that attaches to the GPS itself, I would imagine that this is mandatory, thus to attach to an aftermarket motorcycle mount.

Thanks in advance

I ordered the 2610 over the weekend. I will be using it on a '76 R90/6 with Windjammer III. So as not to waste time re-inventing the wheel so to speak..

I see that Garmin has a bracket that attaches to the GPS itself, I would imagine that this is mandatory, thus to attach to an aftermarket motorcycle mount.

Thanks in advance

I ordered a RAM mount from Touratech for $39 here

I ordered a power cord from Databazaar for $21 here

I just read a post on here that you can pick up a 2GB Ultra CF card at Walgreens for 19.95, this will hold all the maps on City Navigator. here

I didn't order the Garmin motorcycle mount because the people at RAM said they didn't have a mount to fit it. I didn't want a shelf so I went with the RAM mount. Since you have a full fairing you may want to mount a different way. I don't know how the Garmin motorcycle mount works. :ear

I ran power straight to the battery, with a fuse, so I can use the GPS when the bike is turned off.

Kevin

Thanks in advance

I bought the RAM reservoir cover ball (easy install), arm & cradle from here. This is a self-business that the guy (Barry) rides himself. Didn't know him before I ordered but he went out of his way to bring the parts up to north austin instead of dealing with shipping them for me. On the weekends he rides around providing motorcyle EMS services...pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, I bought the power cable here. It looked different then the one listed above as it was fused. If the other is pre-fused then that was a better deal. :)

I bought the CF card from Walgreens as listed above....

I posted pictures of my mount for someone on the SportTouring Forum here just look for my same username and there are 3 attached pictures...

Hope this helps...

Rob,

Would you please elaborate on this?

Thanks

Andy

The ZUMO interface is different and depending on how you plan on using the unit "dumbed down".

For 90% of the users they will never appreciate the difference.

Garmin 2610

What do you like about the 2610 as opposed to other Garmin units for use on your BMW?
Where do you order a new 2610? I cannot find one.
Thanks in advance for your reply,
Lee:usa

What do you like about the 2610 as opposed to other Garmin units for use on your BMW?
Where do you order a new 2610? I cannot find one.
Thanks in advance for your reply,
Lee:usa

I like the 2610 because of the way the find functions work which is especially useful on the Iron Butt Rally or any ride involving long stretches of interstate.

On the 2610 you can find things by exit, i.e. choose an exit and see everything at this exit.

You can do this on the Zumo but it is something like 8 key strokes for this info and to select another exit you back out and start over.

I also have the 2820 which is a fine unit too.

More dumb questions...

I'm VERY GPS naive. I've never owned a GPS, and have only been present when others have rented cars with the "neverlost" units. I've always been good with map use, and have a good memory, i.e. I can study sections of map for awhile, and pretty much have them imprinted on my brain.

I see me having a unit that I could transfer from the bike to a car as needed. My questions are:

- For typical use, say using a 2610, do you have to do much fingering on it while riding? I see myself setting up a route, then tracking with the unit.

- For typical use, again, using a 2610, do you need to "hear" it? Do you always have an earbud hooked up to this thing, or do you just rely on the screen?

I never thought that I'd want a GPS on a bike, until last summer when I had to pull off the road, pull out my map, and go over my routes. Sometimes the roads and exits don't exactly match up to the printed page. I mean, I'm sure this happens with GPS units as well, but at least you can get an immediate visual of your approximate location.

Because of price and functionality, I'm thinking a refurb'd 2610 is the way I'd go. What say the experts?

I'm VERY GPS naive. I've never owned a GPS, and have only been present when others have rented cars with the "neverlost" units. I've always been good with map use, and have a good memory, i.e. I can study sections of map for awhile, and pretty much have them imprinted on my brain.

I see me having a unit that I could transfer from the bike to a car as needed. My questions are:

- For typical use, say using a 2610, do you have to do much fingering on it while riding? I see myself setting up a route, then tracking with the unit.

About the only thing I do with my 2610 while is ocassionally I adjust the scale to see more detail or a greater area. Most of the time I just leave it alone.

- For typical use, again, using a 2610, do you need to "hear" it? Do you always have an earbud hooked up to this thing, or do you just rely on the screen?

Either way, you can lister to "her" (it is a female voice) or just use the screen. The audible directions might be useful in a heavy traffic situation but for my purposes I just use the screen.

I never thought that I'd want a GPS on a bike, until last summer when I had to pull off the road, pull out my map, and go over my routes. Sometimes the roads and exits don't exactly match up to the printed page. I mean, I'm sure this happens with GPS units as well, but at least you can get an immediate visual of your approximate location.

Because of price and functionality, I'm thinking a refurb'd 2610 is the way I'd go. What say the experts?

The refurb 2610s are by far the best deal out there. Edge GPS has them for $189 and you should be eligible for a free map update.
http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/default.html

Back