• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2730/2720/2610 Question

:nono The 2008 map data is only unlocked for the serial number of one 2610.

I knew it was too simple, but Railbender found a way almost as simple.
Gotta hand it to the Garmin customer service folks. One of them I talked to(Paul Robins) rides a 998? Ducati.

When you go to purchase your 2GB memory card spend the extra few bucks and get a Sandisk.

I mean with the prices what they are you are talking about saving less than a gallon of gas to take a chance vs something we know works.

A lot of people have purchased two cards for the Garmin, with the second being a Sandisk.

So, now that we have everyones attention maybe us new owners :clap can get some info from the pros on how to:

Power the unit (Hard wire, or accessory outlet?).
Hard wire it to a non switched source. There will be times you want the GPS on without having the bike switched on. You can wire directly to the batt or pick up an auxilary fuse block and wire that directly to the batt. That will give you a bunch of power pickup points for future farkles.

What parts are required for the shelf mounting option?
Don't know about this one. I have an RS and don't have room for an accessory shelf. Mine is mounted on a Gadget Guy mount atop the triple tree.

And due to lack of first hand experience, are the units easily detached from the holder so as to take it with while paying for gas or chowing?
Yes. The Garmin Motorcycle mount has a release lever that is locked down with a tiny torx screw. A tiny torx screwdriver, suitable for keychain attachment, comes with it.
:lurk

John

Hard wire it to a non switched source. There will be times you want the GPS on without having the bike switched on. You can wire directly to the batt or pick up an auxilary fuse block and wire that directly to the batt. That will give you a bunch of power pickup points for future farkles

No Battery?

Kevin

So, now that we have everyones attention maybe us new owners :clap can get some info from the pros on how to:

Power the unit (Hard wire, or accessory outlet?).

What parts are required for the shelf mounting option?

And due to lack of first hand experience, are the units easily detached from the holder so as to take it with while paying for gas or chowing?

:lurk

Hey now,

Ok for power the unit will come with a cord with bare ends. The easiest way is to just pop ring terminals on the ends and connect directly to the battery. On the RT you can unscrew the plastic thingy the tankbag attaches to. Once this is removed you can very easily run the wire from the battery to the dash area and it will be nice and clean.

For the mounting I have already suggested a shelf. I have a BMR and I am very happy with it.

large_image.jpg

Installation of the shelf is very easy. It will be even easier if you remove the windscreen. On my bike because of the amount of stuff on the shelf all the cables were run under the tank and behind the instruments. We drilled a conduit hole on the front side of the dash behind the screen. You don't need to go that route, once the wire exits the tank thingies (ooo tech talk!) that you placed the wire under previously, simply follow all the other wires and such and run it up along the shelf leg. Use plenty of small tie wraps but don't get all busy and pull them too tight.

For the mounting there are all sorts of options. First you need to be very careful of the fore and aft placement of the GPS on the shelf so you can lower the screen all the way down. When I installed mine I had the stock screen, then switched to a California Scientific for the IBR which has greater clearance. FWIW, this screen is a million times better than stock, my head is not jittered by dirty air at any speed. :clap

So... with the stock screen you can use a Touratech locking mount which is big, big money and while it has a lock it will only slow down the determined thief. To me this is lock enough, it makes it hard enough to steal that it prevents the crime of opportunity.

Gadget Guy also makes a very nice mount, I believe these can lock too.

Now for a little secret.

In your box there will be a bean bag mount and a dash mount with adhesive. You can remove the four screws from the bottom of the base and replace them with longer screws that will secure it to the shelf. When I mount this way I also use the permanent adhesive (it comes with permanent and temporary). I ran a 2610 on a 1150 GS for an Iron Butt Rally with no problems using this method.

If you are going to remove the GPS and stash it when you park I suggest you carry a small fleece sock or pouch so the unit doesn't get all scratched up, esp the screen.

Here is a photo of the installation on my RTP. Sorry there isn't too much shelf detail, I'll poke around and see if I have any better.

176305236-M.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Good luck with your project. All it takes is a little time.

Best,

Rob Nye

Hey Rob

On the first pcture what mount are you using for the center shelf on you BMR Shelf? I have a 276C and I could not use the Touratech mount, it wasn't close. I am using the Marine Mount now and don't like it, too much plastic. I am thinking of having an aluminum one made to mate to the fancier ram mount. Any suggestions? Also how do you like the BMW J&M CB?

'Morning Bob,

I am hustling the boys to school so time is short, I'll come back later and flesh it out.

If you have an R12RT and you don't like the windscreen take a look at the cali scientific. (come back with linky later).

This will resolve the clearance issues.

The JM cb unit in the photo was removed two weeks before the Iron Butt Rally because JM refused to assist with the fact that it just didn't work.

Long story short they suggested I removed everything from the bike including the GPS units and cell phone and ship it all to JM...three weeks before the rally. All I wanted them to do was ship me a new control head (we were very confident that was the issue) so I could confirm. I wanted to give them my credit card number and if it was the control head I would keep the new and send back the defective unit and if it was not I would return the new. The J in JM told me in on uncertain terms that when it left AZ I owned it, no returns.

I went with an autocomm instead and loved it. I gave up cb which was a shame.

I do think the JM unit is a good concept and I had one on my GS in the 05 rally. I will probably try again next winter but I will not deal with JM, I'll probably work with Sierra Electronics who stands behind the product better than the manufacturer.

The only reason to go jm over autocomm is the cb. Audio quality of the autocomm is way better.

great thread

Great thread with excellent information..I have been wondering which GPS to purchase, to learn on so to speak, and not break the bank.
I got one last night on ebay from edgeGPS..looking forward to more info on use and mounting options. Thanks all who have and are contributing to this thread. It is appreciated.

Got my unit this week!!!

All,

Just as a follow-up to my original post...I did get the unit this last week and everything was great. It works well in the cage and am now sorting through mounting options for the bike. I'll do my 1st attempt at mounting on the bike tomorrow.

EdgeGPS was great, in fact so great that I ordered 1 unit (paid for 1 unit) and they shipped me 2. :) Not sure how that happened but called them up to let them know and the rep told me it was for "customer satisfaction". :) He then thanked me for calling and gave me an RMA to ship it back.

The software loaded fine and the 2008 update DVD is on it's way from Garmin direct.

Anyway...highly recommend them so far....

Ride Safe!

Great to hear that you are pleased with your purchase. I am still toying with the idea of getting one. I don't really need one because I don't do long distance riding but it is definately time for a new toy. Are they easily transfered to your car?

cheers
CB.

Last edited:
Great to hear that you are pleased with your purchase. I am still toying with the idea of getting one. I don't really need one because I don't do long distance riding but it is definately time for a new toy. Are they easily transfered to your car?

cheers
CB.

It takes about 30 seconds to unlock and remove mine (2610) from the bike and about 15 seconds to hook it up in the car. I leave the car power cable and bean bag dash mount in the car and the bike power cable and M/C cradle is permanently mounted on the bike.

I find I use mine even on semi-local day rides. I'll sometimes pick a destination and maybe a waypoint or two and tell the GPS to get me there via the "shortest route" and it will often take me on backroads I never knew existed. It also allows me to just meander and ride the country roads wherever whim takes me knowing that when I decide to head for the barn it will get me there no matter how lost I have gotten myself.

John

It takes about 30 seconds to unlock and remove mine (2610) from the bike and about 15 seconds to hook it up in the car. I leave the car power cable and bean bag dash mount in the car and the bike power cable and M/C cradle is permanently mounted on the bike.

I find I use mine even on semi-local day rides. I'll sometimes pick a destination and maybe a waypoint or two and tell the GPS to get me there via the "shortest route" and it will often take me on backroads I never knew existed. It also allows me to just meander and ride the country roads wherever whim takes me knowing that when I decide to head for the barn it will get me there no matter how lost I have gotten myself.

John

Thanks for that John. I guess that reply will do it for me. Thanks again.
Cheers
CB.

Yeah I plan to actually mainly use it for day rides in my local area due to family limitations (i.e. kids) not allowing the multi-day longer trips. What I do now is go to something like Google Maps and plan out a route on backroads and then print it and try to follow it on my planned route.

Now I can do the same thing but follow the GPS along my route and if I decide to "wing" it I can as well and just let it lead me where it wants to....

:)

Have fun and safe riding!

Yeah I plan to actually mainly use it for day rides in my local area due to family limitations (i.e. kids) not allowing the multi-day longer trips. What I do now is go to something like Google Maps and plan out a route on backroads and then print it and try to follow it on my planned route.

Now I can do the same thing but follow the GPS along my route and if I decide to "wing" it I can as well and just let it lead me where it wants to....

:)

Have fun and safe riding!

That also sounds like a plan Gabe. I have the same limitations, so I know what you mean.
I guess I just have to get one now.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280199238163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
I have also found this one on ebay. It looks like the same deal and also ships from Toronto or Buffalo depending on were you live.

cheers
CB.

That also sounds like a plan Gabe. I have the same limitations, so I know what you mean.
I guess I just have to get one now.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280199238163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
I have also found this one on ebay. It looks like the same deal and also ships from Toronto or Buffalo depending on were you live.

cheers
CB.

CB....looks like a pretty similiar deal as they are a Garmin dealer too...I think it appears you may pay a little more in shipping but no biggie...can't tell exactly. :) Have fun!

You all have convinced me! I ordered a 2610 from edgegps.com yesterday. I have been using a GPS V, but find the monochrome screen difficult to read in some lighting conditions. It's also a bit small. I have a cradle for my RAM mount on the way too.

THANKS
Rod

Maybe everyone involved in this thread should get a discount from Garmin for pushing their sales up.:laugh

GPS is not for me!!!

I'll be the curmugeon/devils advocate (that I am ) on this thread. I read a lot about these gizmos, looked at websites that go far beyond normal people in the use and technology of GPS use, read the Garmin website,bought one(QUEST) on ebay,read the owners manual during breaks in a football bowl game AND after reading the manual I posted it on ADVrider -flea market and sold it! I don't want the hassle of fooling with one while trying to ride -I wear reading glasses only- I would have to stop (as maps use require) to use it. I wear earplugs when riding-its called noise induced hearing loss and I've had it for a long time- and so will have to get by without this farkle! I rode with a partner in Mexico for 4 days that had one and of course the maps are more limited there, but I saw no useful purpose to the GPS, except if one were to go off road and be trying to not get lost. He was adept at its use and it got us lost in Poza Rica as we tried to cross a waterway where their was no bridge in the GPS locations given! It was wrong frequently-as were our maps. In the USA maps, signs, etc., are often correct. And whats wrong with wandering around for a bit and seeing the countryside? All those things sticking up around the handle bars seem to be dangerous in an accident? We have cars with "soft" knobs and bikes with $$$ hanging on the bars?
The long and short of it is that I see the purpose of using GPS, but easily done without. I'll stick with a map while riding my bike- long distance or short and I don't ride much short. These are of tremendous use for the military or wilderness travelers going off the beaten path, sales persons,cops,etc..
All this from a guy thats taught classes on the use of GPS to lay out forestry plots, so don't accuse me of ignoring a practical use. I have an 07 Audi with Nav and it has a manual of even greater size than the Garmin Quest that I bought and sold. I would never pay for that as an extra -the car came with it and I repaired it for my own use-tell me $3000+ for a GPS to tell you where to eat,find a road etc..-Come on, what have we come to??? I believe it when I read that people buy cars based on the farkels they have, not the basic car at hand.
GPS is just not for me.

Back