• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canadian City's

M

mrich12000

So what is your favorite Canadian City, and why?

Please post your story and Photos, thanks

folow up to the Amarican thread.:bikes

Last edited:
Well, my travel so far has been limited to Ontario and Quebec, so I'll have to limit my choice to those provinces.

So many choices. I used to have quite a good time driving up to Windsor when I was 19 and 20 to take advantage of the drinking age. I got to know the bartenders very, very well. They started to invite me to parties after hours at their apartments. That included some of the "shot girls", as well. Nice place, Windsor.

I stayed in Montreal for a few days on my way to the '06 MOA rally. I also had a good time there; very European feeling.

Honestly, I'd probably have to say the small town (I guess not really a city due to it's small size) of Grand Bend, but that's mostly because of the good memories I have from traveling there with my family yearly, forever. I don't think I ever really had a bad time, up there. Excellent Provincial Park, friendly people... very, very relaxing.

Overall, I've always had a good time visiting Canada. The people are always very friendly, and I have to say, I really like those Canadian women. :heart

Last edited:
and I have to say, I really like those Canadian women. :heart

But you gotta close the deal. :stick

Added the next morning after a night's sleep: Hmmmm, did you leave something out of your narrative?

Last edited:
But you gotta close the deal. :stick

Added the next morning after a night's sleep: Hmmmm, did you leave something out of your narrative?

Sadly, nothing was left out. :(

and on the way and back from James Bay road:clap

Indeed! I enjoy Canadian travels! I may be up your way this summer. Aside from rallies and a possible Trans-Labrador ride (unless I can get to Iceland), I'm still in touch with the Canadians I met in Radisson, who live in the Hamilton area...

Canadian cities

Next to my home city (and I wouldn't live anywhere else) I like Nelson, B.C., which lies in the middle of that province's best riding territory. Good ski areas nearby too. In the east, my favourite would be Quebec City.

For a smaller burg, my favourite would be Nakusp, site of the B.C. Beemers Hot Springs Rally, and one of my favourite old hotels, the Leland. During our annual Jack S**t Invitational Pro Am ride, we stay there.

Rinty

Iceland

Josh,
What are your plans for Iceland? PM me for more information about it.

As far as nice cities in Canada go: Hamilton area, where I live as long as you know where the nice twisties are. Montreal. Ottawa for all the National Capital Commission amenities, plus the easy access to the Gatineau (not Hull, the real Gatineau.) Victoria for the great riding on Vancouver Island. Probably lots of others, but these are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Holly

My favorite Canadian city is Montreal. It is a world class city being there are about 125 different languages spoken there as a first language. Each neighborhood has its own charm and unique culture. They host Formula One Racing and the Olympic Games and numerous World Games. It reminds me of the best of NYC, Paris, and Amsterdam neatly tied in a French Canadian twist.

The city is well planned as far as mass transit, the metro is quick and quiet, the buses seem to run on time. The metro, buses, and some cabs have accommodation for bicycles if you want to take one on your long commute. Montreal has 3-400 miles of bicycle paths and I want to say they always become one of the top 2 rated cities in North America. Believe it or not Montreal is an island city and much of the traffic is getting in and out of the place. If you plan it right you might be better of to use mass transit from a suburb depending on timing.

Parks and green spaces are everywhere and the place is getting lived in since the change in mayorship. The former President of the Botanical Gardens was at the helm and any opened city space received the green thumb. The European flair is rich and it is not uncommon to see people picnicking, eating outside on the restaurant terraces, and side walks. By the way Montreal has a huge Botanical garden that is worth a fun day seeing.

Montreal has low crime except in the immigrant areas of the north part of town which visitors never see. Most of it is drug related crime. The homicide rate is very low with 80-90 % either domestic violence ( Latin blood / passion) or drug related. The motorcycle gangs control much of the drug culture. Marijuana is legal for personal use so that issue removed most of the youth sidewalk activity. In the past few years however there is an increase in panhandlers downtown. They ask for change and are polite in most cases.

The police have a large array of vehicles. They have the foot patrol, Rollerblades, bicyclist, motorcycle, tiny euro cars similar to SMART Car, and traditional law enforcement. There seems to be a very good community police program with them mingling with crowds, and events.

Events, since the down turn in the economy they may not be as good. But there is always something going. My favorite is Formula One week, or the Island Tour which is a week of bicycle events that shut the city down to just bikes. Their Jazz Festival, Just for Laughs, Fringe Fest, to Cirque Soliel can keep you occupied. There are a lot of museums to enjoy, and I am not sure of their power but they seem to secure exhibits that do not seem to make it to NYC.

Food, according to Gourmet magazine Montreal is rated #1 or #2 in North America. You can find anything from Alligator to Zebra there. Since just about every culture is there so is their food. My last trip I ate at a El Salvadorian restaurant. Yeah try and find on of those in your favorite town. And the menu was bi-lingual, Spanish and French. The great thing is all the restaurants have to post their menu near the entrance so you can see what it will cost or experience before you sit down. Also once you make a reservation that table is yours for a long evening. Do expect to get feed fast in some places because it is pure culture enjoying the places and since Montreal is an open society it is great for people watching.

The quarters or sub-culture areas are first rate. I like riding my peddle bike to Lachine which is at the end of an old canal. Then coming back into town it is scenic with art work displayed by the locals. There are many places to stop for coffee or beer. Next you come to Old Port, the Old Town, China Town is next then I ride through to University area, through the Gay Village, up to the trendy Plateau to Little Italy, then the trendy Main, the upper class mansion area along Mount Royal, Downtown, and out to Westmount ( Old English area). If you push it it will take you about an hour or two without stops. That is how different and compacted the island city is. A tourist should allow 4 days to give the place justice.

There are alot of educational opportunities there from tech schools to famous McGill. Per capita Montreal claims to be very well educated. There is alot of graphic arts, film production, and semi-conductors employment besides to well supported service industry. The locals are friendly and the ones that moved into Montreal to work are even friendlier. It is easy to get directions, restaurant, or event recommendation from a local. There appears to be no generation gaps in the different social mingling that goes on. The arts seem well supported there and their is much diversity of cultures.

There is an underground city that is an escape from winters cold and summers heat. If you get a map you could walk for great distances from one end of town to the other. But it is best to just stroll in one of its many neighborhoods and feel the quality of life there. I just wish the place was closer but then maybe it is best to have a place further to escape to. I call it driving to Europe for a few days.

For motorcycling the French Canadian countryside is pretty and Vermont is a good hour drive for more riding. Montreal is a great base camp but there is so much non-riding events going on to distract you. I am not a city person but I would live in Montreal if I was younger and starting life over again.

I like Calgary, Alberta and Vancouver, B.C. as well. I once enjoyed Toronto but too much suburban sprawl has ruined it. If I want that crap I will stay near home.

CanadianFlag.jpg

Vancouver - Scenic grandeur
Montreal - Cosmopolitan (and what Statdawg said)
Halifax - Salty Sea Air

Victoria (and all of vancourver island for that matter)/Quebec City for the "pretty" award

Montreal for the "fun" award, easy, i've been there at least a dozen times, if not more :buds

Vancouver is a close second for fun, but i've only spent a weekend there and convinced some dude to let me sleep in his basement because i told him his dog would win in a "dog pulling human on a skateboard" race with other dogs in the bar.

Events, since the down turn in the economy they may not be as good. But there is always something going. My favorite is Formula One week, or the Island Tour which is a week of bicycle events that shut the city down to just bikes. Their Jazz Festival, Just for Laughs, Fringe Fest, to Cirque Soliel can keep you occupied. There are a lot of museums to enjoy, and I am not sure of their power but they seem to secure exhibits that do not seem to make it to NYC.

I was lucky enough to be in Montreal for "Just for Laughs". I stayed for two nights before the '06 rally and spent both evenings having a bit of Blue and checking things out. I couldn't understand some of the presenters (French), but it was still nice. Some group (sadly I can't remember who) did a huge performance in/around the crowd. They had music and giant balloons (snakes, octopus, other sea creatures) and the whole thing was telling a story. It was very impressive. I wish I had brought my camera. I still managed to get some camera phone pics and video. Cool place!

Just when I was thinking of warmer climes,Statdawg reminds me of what I would be missing.:heart
PS dont forget Montreal Smoked Meat and Montreal style bagels.:eat

Favorite Canadian City?

I live near Detroit so I know Windsor is alot of fun.My wife and I went to Niagra falls for new years eve of 99.What A great trip!Cheep booze,good food,dinner at the skylon.Freezing cold.Party in the streets.Heavy metal bands dressed like eskimos.That town has everything.:eat :bottle :buds elyotsidecar#13266

Montreal for its cosmopolitan appeal, Toronto for having so much to do there, and Quebec City for its history. I should mention Picton in Prince Edward County, Ontario for being such a busy, picturesque little city on the Bay of Quinte. Of course I have a lot more cities to visit yet before I can limit it to these few cities.

Back