Thread: Lowered F650ST

WalterwHoward

Lowered F650ST

I need some advice regarding my lowered 97 F650ST. I bought it used last January and absolutely love it! It's my first bike and I have no complaints except that whenever I ride two-up, the rear suspension bottoms out and makes an awful noise as the chain eats away the rubber roller/spindle. I'm trying to decide whether or not to pay the $1000 to get it raised back to stock height. I'm 5'6"-5'7" (depending on when I ate last) and love being able to put both feet down at a light, so I'm worried that raising the bike will make it too tall. But I'd rather ride a little higher with my girlfriend on-board, than be flat-footed by myself. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterwHoward View Post
    I need some advice regarding my lowered 97 F650ST. I bought it used last January and absolutely love it! It's my first bike and I have no complaints except that whenever I ride two-up, the rear suspension bottoms out and makes an awful noise as the chain eats away the rubber roller/spindle. I'm trying to decide whether or not to pay the $1000 to get it raised back to stock height. I'm 5'6"-5'7" (depending on when I ate last) and love being able to put both feet down at a light, so I'm worried that raising the bike will make it too tall. But I'd rather ride a little higher with my girlfriend on-board, than be flat-footed by myself. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    For that cost, or a little more, you might be able to replace the rear shock with a gas/adjustable one, that with the twist of dial, can be made perfect for one-up, and then, more/less twist, perfect for two-up. Then, keep it the height you want, and make the rear shock firm enough not to bottom out. Seems the best of both worlds, to me.

YMMV-Good luck.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

This is the spacer part number; 33532319119 two required at $40 ea. It is not an easy job as it requires the shock to be removed and disassembled. I did it when I installed the lowering kit on my ST and have had no problems with bottoming.

WalterwHoward
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
    For that cost, or a little more, you might be able to replace the rear shock with a gas/adjustable one, that with the twist of dial, can be made perfect for one-up, and then, more/less twist, perfect for two-up. Then, keep it the height you want, and make the rear shock firm enough not to bottom out. Seems the best of both worlds, to me.

YMMV-Good luck.
    In talking to the dealer, he determined that the original shock was shot, which was significantly contributing to the bottoming out (makes sense). So $600-$700 of the cost is the replacing of the shock regardless of whether or not I raise the bike. Any suggestions on a good adjustable shock? I know absolutely nothing about them. Thanks for the help!