• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question on engine temperature sensor

jono

SlaveToCurves/Wind/Motion
I have had a lingering issue with my R1150RS which is more annoying than anything. When the ambient temperature hits about 90 degrees - my temperature reading in the RID disappears and re-appears in a few minutes. Last year I spoke to my dealer about the problem and asked if he thought it was likely to be the sensor or the RID. He said it could be either and neither would be easy or inexpensive to fix and he would start by replacing the RID. So I bit the bullet and replaced the RID. Sure enough it didn't fix the problem. After reading a review of the GS-911 diagnostic tool in the MOA I decided to bite once again and spring for the tool. Sure enough reading the engine controller I get:

277: Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction, Short-circuit to Positive or Open-circuit.
This fault occured 22 times.
The fault is not present now.

So I'm now supposing it's the temperature sensor (doh!) but I haven't found it in the on-line parts fiche. Anyone run across this or know where it is? Or if you've seen this problem seen some other cause?

P/N: 12611341602

"temperature sensor" for the R1150RS. not sure if that's 100 percent right, but i think it might be.

Cool! I see it now under "various switches" in the fiche. A little pricey but way less than the RID. I should have started there.....

Cool! I see it now under "various switches" in the fiche. A little pricey but way less than the RID. I should have started there.....

I would check the connections where the temp sensor plugs into the harness. I presume the dealer already verified the integrity of the connection where the RID connects to the harness, but that could be the culprit too.

Good point. I'll do some electrical troubleshooting before swapping any more parts.

Last year I spoke to my dealer about the problem and asked if he thought it was likely to be the sensor or the RID. He said it could be either and neither would be easy or inexpensive to fix and he would start by replacing the RID.
Is reading the fault codes not a test the dealer should have performed before an unnecessary RID replacement? Just curious .....

Dr. Paul

Is reading the fault codes not a test the dealer should have performed before an unnecessary RID replacement? Just curious .....

Dr. Paul

One would think. I have since switched dealers after about a dozen "issues" - this being one of the more minor.

well, i suppose if it's any consolation you could sell the old RID on ebay.

I hope that cures you of ever expecting the dealer to fix anything in a reasonable manner. One is probably better off left to ones own devices and time and the help of the internet.

Well, with two oilheads in the family and an intention to hang on to them - I think it will eventually.

Cool! I am on the fence and may spring for one as I do all my own maintenance too. My dealer is 100 miles away and we have a good relationship as he knows that I will come to him for parts and those things I will not do (i.e brake bleeding)

I hope that cures you of ever expecting the dealer to fix anything in a reasonable manner. One is probably better off left to ones own devices and time and the help of the internet.

All depends on your dealer. I have a very good relationship with mine and that is VERY important. I also must say that when travelling, most dealers I have had to go to for tires or minor issues, will help you out very quickly even if they are slammed. A lot depends on your own attitude and cheery smile..:D :D YMMV

Back