• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sunset Photos Here!

OK, I was at the cottage on a satellite connection and I've just now managed to see some of the sunsets. WOW as someone mentioned before. I've a few I'll add to this..

Clearwater Beach - Canon Elf (1st generation!)

177770619-M.jpg

177770648-M.jpg

Standing on Lake Louise in Banff National Park

176657868-M.jpg

Bellagio Hotel, Lost Wages

177817831-M.jpg

The Strip

177853953-M.jpg

San Luis Potosi, Mexico

177878241-M.jpg

Mackinaw City Bridge - coming home from West Bend

176321016-M.jpg

And finally, Toronto taken from the Dock's Nightclub using a crappy camera phone. There's a flaw in the CCD, but it makes this picture look not too bad.

248486106-M.jpg

Cheers!

Chicago & Campeche

Chicago...
what a great place to visit...

188009173_P4mbS-L.jpg

Puente Zacatal, Campeche, M?®xico

111665333_Dau2w-M.jpg

Last edited:
Swat the mosquitos and press the shutter release, QUICK!
Cheers
DCM

Attachments

• Shearwater Sunset-1.jpg
    Shearwater Sunset-1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 188
So, help me understand.

Some of these sunset photos blow me away.

Some are just OK.

What makes the difference?

Give me some hints.

I love to watch susets. But I have the worst time trying to fit that huge sky into my itty bitty screen.

Voni
sMiling

Slap, compose, slap, release shutter, slap, too many mosquitos on short final for me! Back to the boat!
I think composition, technical execution, colors (saturation, hue purity) all play a role in making an image OK or much better than OK.
Cheers
Dave, Dot & Freckles Doggie

Attachments

• Sunset at Wrangle Ak.-1.jpg
    Sunset at Wrangle Ak.-1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 182
So, help me understand.

Some of these sunset photos blow me away.

Some are just OK.

What makes the difference?

Give me some hints.

I love to watch susets. But I have the worst time trying to fit that huge sky into my itty bitty screen.

Voni
sMiling

That's a dang good question, Voni. Of the ones that you like, what do they have in common? Color? Composition? Something else?

I think a good sunset is generally a bit underexposed, making the colors more rich, more orange. In addition, some of these are quite wide-angle while others are rather extreme telephoto. That compression or expanse adds drama to the image.

I think sunsets are a bit like other scenery pictures. Some sunsets are gorgeous, others, ho hum. You can't get a bad sunset on a trip to Hawaii. During California's recent wildfire's, we had spectacular sunsets because of all the lingering smoke.

Ingredients for a successful sunset seem to be location, timing, and a few tricks. Here are some resources:

Five Tips to Capturing the Last Glow of Daylight

How to Take Great Photographs of Sunsets (NY Institute of Photography)

Six Tips for Shooting Great Sunsets

12 Tips for Photographing Stunning Sunsets

sunrises ain't to shabby.... Waiting for the sunrise on the Bonneville salt

Sometimes the sky after the sunset or before the sunrise* is better than the actual event.

*Edit to self: sunrise, sunrise, etc

208839773_9JMQS-M.jpg

Last edited:
sunrises ain't to shabby.... Waiting for the sunset on the Bonneville salt

Sometimes the sky after the sunset or before the sunrise is better than the actual event.

Just before sunrise is my favorite time to shoot. After the sun breaks the horizon "daylight" comes rather quickly. Often the objects basking in the "apenglow" are more interesting than the actual sunrise/set.

14300962.AlpenglowBarn.jpg

26920788.St.PaulsSunrise.jpg

44070089.GarageShadowI.jpg

35472349.SunriseBeforeRain.jpg

35472353.SunriseOverTreeTops.jpg

21735583.PurpleSunrise.tif.jpg

A couple of my favorite sunset pics.

La Jolla, CA. I like this one because of all the people in silhouette, as well as the fantastic colors in the sky. Little tiny specs on the point in the distance are people too. Also the tall palm trees on the bluff.

JQ8L2092.jpg

The colors on the river lead you up to the sky.
JQ8L3880.jpg

Last edited:
Back