• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Eastern Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
Anyone contemplating a tour to Eastern Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador can get an idea of what they're in for by going to my web site, where they'll find photos along with a short write-up with each.

The tour includes the Gasp?®, the eastern coastline of New Brunswick, the western part of Newfoundland and the Trans Labrador Highway including the road from Blanc Sablon to Cartwright.

Thanks for sharing this great resource!

Wonderful memories. Makes me want to go back . . .

Voni
sMiling
;)

Voni said:
Thanks for sharing this great resource!

Wonderful memories. Makes me want to go back . . .

Voni
sMiling
;)

Hi Voni,

Even though my signature block contains my web site address, the "search" feature on this forum wouldn't pick up on that, so I decided to post in case someone was looking for info on touring that region.

I'd like to put up more info like links to the ferry services, etc, but keeping on top of links and making sure they are valid over time is a lot of work, so I have very few of them on my site.

I'll just post a few of them here. If the links do go dead in time, people can do a search on the name of the services.

Marine Atlantic is the ferry service running between North Sydney, Nova Scotia and Port-aux-Basques and Argentia in Newfoundland.

Provincial Ferry Services for points in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism

Don't forget to ask for a FREE copy of the Motorcycle Tour Guide Nova Scotia

Just a teaser...Englee, Newfoundland.

Attachments

• 0346.jpg
    0346.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 131
Great idea! What a resource this forum is because of members like you!

AND Kudos to our hard working web team.

Though I do think they're overpaid ; )

NOT!

Voni
sMiling

I toured through those regions last year in June. I must say for anyone wanting to head over to Newfoundland, DON"T GO IN JUNE. It was absolutely horrible weather. We arrived to the view of snow capped hills, the wind was howling at over 60 Km/h and the temperature was 8 Celcius; and that was the good weather. We managed to make it out to Rose Blanche and back to Port Aux Basque in the afternoon after arriving on the ferry. We camped a little ways up the highway from there towards Stephenville that night. The next day was barely above feezing, the wind had stepped up a notch, and it poured rain. we made it almost to Stephenville from our camp before finding a truck stop to take refuge in. Over the next two hours that we shivered and dripped while sucking back cup after cup of coffee, we learned from several very friendly truck drivers, that the forecast was for much the same conditions or worse for at least four more days. On that note we decided that continuing on would be miserable and foolish, so we booked our ferry passage back to Nova Scotia. It was disappointing to have to resign to the weather, but a wise descision just the same.

I plan to go back someday (hopefully sooner than later), but I will do this in August when there is at least some hope that it will be warm(er), even if it does rain. The parts of Newfoundland that we did have the chance to see were beautiful in an rugged and inhospitable way (if that makes any sense) that can only be appreciated by going there. I really respect those who choose to live there year round.

The remainder of our time in the Maritimes was better (though we still had several rain days), we traveled through each Province before heading around the Gaspe and back across country home to Alberta.

Thanks to GlobalRider for a reminder of a great trip.

MCMXCIV-RS said:
I plan to go back someday (hopefully sooner than later), but I will do this in August when there is at least some hope that it will be warm(er), even if it does rain.

The parts of Newfoundland that we did have the chance to see were beautiful in a rugged and inhospitable way (if that makes any sense) that can only be appreciated by going there.

Thanks for stirring up priceless memories.

I was there in mid August. The day ride in the rain from Stephenville started at 22??C in the morning and dropped to a low of 9.8??C in Flower's Cove up in the north, arriving there late afternoon. It was one demoralizing ride, but I would do it again.

Looking at my dash-mounted digital thermometer as the decimal digits ticked away downwards, I was beginning to wonder if it was going to snow on my return trip through Labrador a few days later.

Your observation of Newfoundland being "beautiful in a rugged and inhospitable way", is spot on. I wonder if I will be able to take Iceland for a month, a tour that I plan to do in the near future. That type of landscape does something to you if you're not used to it.

On a positive note, I found traffic to be extremely low on the "Rock".

Weather along most coastal regions is a gamble. I lucked in with only two days of rain during my thirteen day tour.

I will most definitely be going back, but for at least a couple of weeks the next time.

Back