• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Print Swapping?

I donÔÇÖt know about anyone else who shoots, but I love looking at other photographerÔÇÖs prints as well as collecting them. In my experience the print is typically a much better medium for really assessing and enjoying a particular image.

IÔÇÖm typing off the top of my head, so I havenÔÇÖt thought through all of the requisite mechanics of how to achieve this, but I propose we develop a mechanism for sharing prints of popular images from our respective galleries.

Therefore to make this a reality, IÔÇÖm willing to make available a print (11x14 or so) of any of my hi-res shots to anyone who has work theyÔÇÖd like to share with me. If youÔÇÖre interested, PM me and we can work things out. It might be interesting to share a critique with the folks here of the image as a print because often so much information is missing in an online .jpg post.

Of course, if anyone is interested we can refine this idea further, too. Just a thought.

Might be fun! Since getting a decent photo printer I have much more freedom to print my own shots as I like rather than relying on what I what I have to wait for from the print shop. I have visited your site and there are few I would certainly be interested in.

RM

the only real issue that might arise is making sure you have the direct permission of a person to reprint there work... i think sharing hard copies is a great idea... but might need to be by emailing individually and getting a archival print made... i would trade work... but would have to have a level of archival status to a print to be worth my time and $$ to print prints... i only print archival quality now days...

it would get people to start to print and do photos to higher quality standards that help there work in the long run....

only a thought

I belong to a fine arts photographic forum that hosts a print swap. It works very well and is great fun for all of us.

Terrific idea -- let's do it!

Craig
K1200R Sport & a view camera

the only real issue that might arise is making sure you have the direct permission of a person to reprint there work... i think sharing hard copies is a great idea... but might need to be by emailing individually and getting a archival print made... i would trade work... but would have to have a level of archival status to a print to be worth my time and $$ to print prints... i only print archival quality now days...

it would get people to start to print and do photos to higher quality standards that help there work in the long run....

only a thought

You mean like sending them a PM and asking permission to print their image of the GGB that was submitted in the "triangles" assignment? It's easy to do, and I would imaging that anyone here would be flattered.

Right KBasa?:ear

I've got a pretty good printer, but I'm still working the bugs out of getting the print to look exactly how I see it on the screen. BTW, anyone who hosts their pictures on SmugMug and other photo sites can allow others to order prints of their images.

You mean like sending them a PM and asking permission to print their image of the GGB that was submitted in the "triangles" assignment? It's easy to do, and I would imaging that anyone here would be flattered.

Right KBasa?:ear

I've got a pretty good printer, but I'm still working the bugs out of getting the print to look exactly how I see it on the screen. BTW, anyone who hosts their pictures on SmugMug and other photo sites can allow others to order prints of their images.

more along the line of museum/ gallery archival level prints to swapping for collecting reasons... I am a collector even if i cant afford most of artist i would like to own.. i can still collect people's art work i can afford.

for example, I do a very limited edition to any of my prints (25 max copies to any size of a specific print), and I like to make sure that can keep the printing quality to the highest levels (no offense ment) With all the printers and archival" printing claims on home lab printers it is hard to make sure the prints being printed remotely to myself are having the right inks with the right papers with the write printer to give a print the most archival qualities. you can have very high quality paper as you know with the wrong inks and have a digital print start to deteriorate in 6-12 months.. i could also then run out of editions to print without knowing it. It is the art historian in me
the last in i would want is someone who really enjoys one of my images to have it fade too quickly.

I could not print digitally for 2 yrs almost since i was looking for a digital lab to print archivally at that was near enough to me to be involved in the printing process in some ways with out having to be sending proofs back and forth alot.. i now have one in my area that is very resonable to print even 16x20 size images

Yes, it is a great compliment when anyone asks to even swap images, but i am just a stickler for keeping my images not just high quality view aesthically but also quality in the physical materials to make the prints.

It does not bother me at all if i am trading one of my own prints that might have a "$$$" in a gallery to it and i am trading it straight up with someone (amature, pro, or anyone) who has a great awsome photo of there own that i really enjoy... the "$$$value" of my work and the "$$$Value" of the other person's photo are the same then to me in a trade/swap... and we both get the pleasure of each others work to hang in our homes

you never know who you might swap and image with and where they end up in the art world... the cost to me to print an image archivally is little compaired to the viewing pleasure and sharing of art between poeple i just would like everyong who is involved in the swapping to get prints that last the tests of time the best.

Hmmmm. I'm sort of lost trying to interpret some of the posts in this thread. I was simply suggesting trading prints because there are so many barriers to actually seeing what is in an image that is posted online (constrained latitude, generally low resolution, monitors calibrated at various levels/resolutions, etc.). It's been my experience that a print viewed in natural light shows flaws, if they are present or conversely shows detail that is missing in an uploaded image: quarter tones, three quarter tones, shadows, etc.

I print my images using an Epson 2000P and/or an Epson 2200 using (for the most part) Epson's paper stock and ink. I wasn't anticipating anything more complex than this.

My goal was to provide a cost-effective basis to critically examine a given image, however it is made.

Back