• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Austin Hotels

tourunigo

As part of our upcoming 11,000 mile tour around the U.S., we have been investigating lodging options and Austin is one of the unresolved ones. We ride into Austin on June 9th and want to get into the entertainment center... especially any place with a good dance floor and live music:dance . We cannot afford the $150/night plus places that we find but really do not want a place that charges by the hour either. So, any interesting suggestions. Thanks. -Bob

I can't help you with hotels, but if I'm not doing anything else at the time I might come down to meet y'all.

I can't help you with hotels, but if I'm not doing anything else at the time I might come down to meet y'all.

Veg, actually we were going to slow down and say hi for a bit as we pass by Dallas on our way up to Oklahoma City and Amarillo anyway. Looking forward to it. -Bob

I have not seen the entertainment center and I am sure that none of the 3 motels cost that much.
You are welcome anyway.:dance
http://www.austinnevada.com/

I must think there is only one Austin. I meant Austin, Texas. However, I was also looking at crossing 50 again whereby Austin, Nevada would be a consideration. Your info may come in handy yet. We are also looking at leaving Las Vegas and heading up through Death Valley to Reno (heading to Vancouver on this leg of trip). Anyway, I appreciate your link. -Bob

bob - there are many hotels downtown that will allow you to walk to the bars and clubs. the traditional fun area for visitors is inside this box: east of lamar, west of I-35, north of town lake, and south of 8th st. any hotel in that box will be convenient. hotels.com will give you a map of where hotels are and you can see if any in that box meet your price requirements.

you are talking about being here 3 days before the Republic of Texas rally, so i recommend booking your rooms asap. people come early for that and hang around.

happy hunting.

Only places I've stayed downtown are the Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites.
Both fall into the $100+ a night category. However, the Hampton is within
walking distance of 6th Street (which is where you'll be looking for entertainment).

You may want to consider something on the outskirts of town and cab it downtown
too.

bob - there are many hotels downtown that will allow you to walk to the bars and clubs. the traditional fun area for visitors is inside this box: east of lamar, west of I-35, north of town lake, and south of 8th st. any hotel in that box will be convenient. hotels.com will give you a map of where hotels are and you can see if any in that box meet your price requirements.

you are talking about being here 3 days before the Republic of Texas rally, so i recommend booking your rooms asap. people come early for that and hang around.

happy hunting.

thanks for the 'heads up' on the Republic of Texas event. Being a Monday night I suspect room availability may be ok. Clubs may not be too busy as well unfortunately. Also, the box that you outlined will be very useful. -bob

There are several hotels in the mentioned "box", the last few years has seen some large ones move in and upped the price a bit. There are two different entertainment districts downtown ..the 6th Street area is the busiest and youngest(say UT students), the Warehouse area just to the west of Congress,the main drag to the Capitol, houses a few older crowd venues also. It is now filling with huge hi-rise condos...but some nice street level shopping & cafes...Staying West of IH-35 is highly reccomended. The Embassy Suites is on Congress & Riverside/Barton Springs, the southern end of downtown. It has a parking garage and about 8 block walk by the bats exit at sunset from under the Congress Ave bridge as you walk to either 6th street or the Warehouse District. I have attended several conferences here as it is in walking distance to a lot of stuff.

The craziness of the Republic of Texas Rally will not consume downtown until the parade night,I believe Saturday. We stayed in the historic Driskill a few years back and heard thunder ALL night long.

here is a local info link:

http://www.austin360.com/

Last year we enjoyed cooler than normal temps in June...but it did rain a lot that month!

dude, you just jinxed us and guaranteed 100+ for his visit! :D

Well, we have tended to have the good fortune of mostly sunshine on all of our trips (except that freakin' inhospitable trip to Montreal a couple of years ago) so I hope that our trend will counteract the 'jinxing effect'. We'll see. Weather will never deter us though. I suppose that if the gods impose unrelenting rain upon us we will remember it fondly as we ride up into Las Vegas and through Death Valley. -Bob

There are several hotels in the mentioned "box", the last few years has seen some large ones move in and upped the price a bit. ......."
The craziness of the Republic of Texas Rally will not consume downtown until the parade night,I believe Saturday. We stayed in the historic Driskill a few years back and heard thunder ALL night long.

here is a local info link:

http://www.austin360.com/

Last year we enjoyed cooler than normal temps in June...but it did rain a lot that month!

Thanks for drilling down the search even more. Very helpful. And, the link will also help as we get closer to Austin re: who is playing where. Of course we don't know one club from the other but we'll have a grand time no matter (almost) where we land. -Bob

Thanks for drilling down the search even more. Very helpful. And, the link will also help as we get closer to Austin re: who is playing where. Of course we don't know one club from the other but we'll have a grand time no matter (almost) where we land. -Bob

knowledge of the clubs is moot - you just show up, walk around, and go into the ones that look interesting. i scope out my weekend activities with the chronicle. it's a free alternative weekly paper.

here's a pseudo-guide to clubs: linky.

mondays are slow, but my experience is that a monday on 6th street (especially during summer) is better than a friday or saturday in most medium sized american cities. you'll have a good time.

I have not seen the entertainment center and I am sure that none of the 3 motels cost that much.
You are welcome anyway.:dance
http://www.austinnevada.com/

Not only that, just east of Austin is a very nice mountain pass. There's one motel that has satellite TV and the owner lets you use the house phone because there's no cell service there.

If you don't care about cost, the Driscoll on 6th is pretty cool.:dance
Presidents, First Ladies, and other riff-raff seem to like it.;)

You coould in a pinch stay at my place just up the road in Pflugerville.:whistle

Dave

If you don't care about cost, the Driscoll on 6th is pretty cool.:dance
Presidents, First Ladies, and other riff-raff seem to like it.;)

You coould in a pinch stay at my place just up the road in Pflugerville.:whistle

Dave

Dave, that's real nice of you but we really do not want to impose upon anyone but it is good to know a Plan B. Maybe we meet up anyway (and that, of course, inlcudes anyone else in town on June 9th). I just called the Broken Spoke and talked to a gal with a wonderful accent but apparently consumed by other business. Told her that I heard they had the best dance floor in Texas (yes'er!) so we'll be there. Now, I don't want to be riding at all that night so was looking for something close. No way. So taxi it is. Still looking for options. The Homestead looks like it might be ok but not bookin' yet. -Bob

Other "Quirky" Option here in town

Another thought for you that's a little more on the "quirky" side which of course fits my town. :) This hotel is not far from the Broken Spoke on the south-west side of town right off Hwy-290 & Mopac (Loop 1).

It's a local hotel called "Heart of Texas Motel:
http://www.heartoftexasmotel.com/#

Here's a link to a write-up in the local newspaper recently, the Austin-American Statesman:
http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/11/26/1126motels.html

Again, it's not going to be the Driskoll from a quality, but it's got history.....

Hope you enjoy Austin, I know I love it and lots of good rides here!!!

Veg, actually we were going to slow down and say hi for a bit as we pass by Dallas on our way up to Oklahoma City and Amarillo anyway. Looking forward to it. -Bob

AWRIIIIGHT! That works even better. And I depending on how you'd like to get to OKC, I can show you some nice back-roads between here and the Red River, including a small town that's supposed to have some decent German food.
Just give me a heads-up as to when.

Bob,

The "Heart of Texas" is a good place to hang yer hat for a couple of days, fer shure.

If you're going to be in the Austin area for a bit, stop by Lone Star BMW on N. Lamar Blvd. and chat up with the locals. There is always a group around, especially Thursday and Saturday.

If you do that, you'll get soooooooo many ride ideas for the area it'll get your heart a racing. Good coffe, too.

I hope I'm in town when y'all show up. Being from Maine, it is always nice to hear that nor'eastern accent. N.S. is a lovely place to ride. My wife and I have enjoyed our times there.

take care,

Dave

Back