• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What's your camera gear?

What's your main photo gear?

• Digital SLR

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Digital "point & shoot"

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Film SLR

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Film "point & shoot"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anybody used view cameras?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I carry the DSLR in a saddlebag while I'm riding and carry the DSLR in my pocket. I can get action shots while riding and have a decent camera for shooting pics around camp.

I usually carry two tripods: a tiny one that sits about 4 or 5 inches high and a full size one.

And that's plenty, I think. I used to travel with all my SLR stuff and never got it out because it was such a pain in the butt. I switched my Pentax ME Super for a Canon P&S and started taking tons of pictures again. When I went digital, I started with a Sony Mavica, which was a pain to use (floppies for the photos!), but then switched to a Canon S400.

I carry a Canon F1 sometimes.....but my main photo gear is 4 hasseys, including a superwide. Can`t get excited shooting digital yet, a digital back for my cameras runs about $30,000. I can waste a lot of film before thats paid for.....:type

maybe one day I will get a digital camera.....maybe not...:banghead

I use photographic instruments from opposite ends of the technological spectrum. My "daily shooter" is a Canon EOS 30D digital SLR, but on scenic journeys I carry my Gowland 4 x 5 view camera. It's actually lighter in weight than the Canon; hand built by the famed glamor photographer Peter Gowland. Peter, a heckuva a nice guy, will soon be 93 years old and is still at work every day. You might find his website entertaining at www.petergowland.com . I was a Leicaphile for years, but the only Teutonic camera I have today is my trusty old Rolleiflex SL66 medium format. It's not exactly backpackable however.

Happy shooting,

Craig
K1200R Sport

Attachments

• Gowland_web.jpg
    Gowland_web.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
I use photographic instruments from opposite ends of the technological spectrum. ... on scenic journeys I carry my Gowland 4 x 5 view camera. It's actually lighter in weight than the Canon; hand built by the famed glamor photographer Peter Gowland. Peter, a heckuva a nice guy, will soon be 93 years old and is still at work every day. You might find his website entertaining at www.petergowland.com .
Craig
K1200R Sport

Amazing! :)

Greetings Photographers,

Fortunately, I haven't showered or combed my hair yet, so it's not too inconvenient to don my Mod hat for just a minute. . . .

Our forum guidelines are clear (see sticky in this forum) about religion, politics, etc. The debate about the existence of God is a valid one and we have a forum designed specifically for that. So don't go there.

It's only been 72 hours. Let's give it a chance and return to the topic at hand.

And thank you in advance.

[/mod hat]

pardon me! I guess I'm not sure exactly who is out of line here. Was it me because I mentioned God and being thankful for a beautiful photo or was it another who seems to enjoy proselytizing on here?

hand built by the famed glamor photographer Peter Gowland. Peter, a heckuva a nice guy, will soon be 93 years old and is still at work every day.

Thanks for the link to Gowland's website. I can understand why he's still working. This is a fascinating thread. I love seeing and hearing about the diversity of gear and each person's shooting interests. :wave

200mm wasn't enough reach to get good shots & here I am (you know the feeling)

99399935-M.jpg

Perfect example, but still a nice shot of a atypical scene. :thumb

I use an older Canon D-60 with EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lenses, Hakuba carbon fiber tripod w/ Really Right Stuff quick release mounting plates, Sigma EF 530 DG Super Flash EO-ETTL speedlight, and a nifty Pelican case to keep everything in.

We also have a Canon PowerShot S400 digital point and shoot, with a scuba/snorkeling-type watertight case for river trips, kayak trips, etc. - when you don't want to break out the SLR but still want to take photos.

In my opinion, this is the best photo I've ever taken, using the D-60 and the 17-40mm lens:
05022004-322.jpg

recently switched religions

I have recently switched religions on two levels. First, I am now almost completely digital and second, I have switched from Canon to Nikon after 18 years. The story is, last year my house was robbed and over twenty camera and all related gear was stolen. So, in today's terms that adds up to one full DSLR system. Here is what I shoot with now:

Nikon D80
12-24mm AFs DX
18-70 AFS DX
SB600
Nikon IR remote

Canon S400 Compact digital
Canon SD800 IS Powershot compact digital

Sekonic L-358 light/flash meter (don't go anywhere without it)
Gary Fong flash diffuser (awesome results)
Manfrotto 055 ProB tripod
Elinchrom studio stands with one white and one reflective umbrella
All the filters and doodads you would expect

Also, I used some of the insurance cash to buy a kitted out iMAC on which I run the CS3 adobe suite. The iMAC with Photoshop is essential with digital photography.

Finally, to keep it real I sourced a Yashica Mat 125-G off ebay. I use this medium format TLR quite often. There still is no comparison between a digital print and looking at a large, juicy transparency through a loupe on a light table......

Attached is a vertical pano, Natural Bridge, VA.

Verticals need to have just the right subject to look normal. Something long and tall with no straight lines.

one of the cool things about that is the road that goes over it. A natural bridge indeed.

RM

I've been meaning to try the Lightsphere. Seems like a pretty ingenius solution and a step or so beyond an Omnibounce.

Try one out at your local camera shop. Some of my friends poo-poo the lightsphere saying it's a lot of cash for a piece of plastic. The point is, it works and works well. Not everyone would value it.

I did find it took some practice to know what it results it would produce, but in the end the results are nice soft even light rather than harsh FLASH light.

The trip down the Grand Canyon, in a 17' wooden boat was fun, too!

That trip is on my list of things to do before I die, but in a whitewater kayak instead of a dory. Although a dory would be my next choice after a kayak, and way before a raft.

Have kayaked a bunch, raced whitewater slalom in the early 1990s, so it's hardly a pipe dream. Lotta my friends have done it already, but I just haven't had the time, money, etc come together all at once for that trip. One of these days.

Finally hiked partway into the Canyon this past summer while there. Oh man... just whetted my appetite for more. Hanging out at the rim doesn't compare with being down in.

I use both film and digital SLRs... the film negative is still a more archival system for images... though i am starting to get too sucked into digital... and wished some images i have on negative so i could print larger than 20x30

That trip is on my list of things to do before I die, but in a whitewater kayak instead of a dory. Although a dory would be my next choice after a kayak, and way before a raft.

Have kayaked a bunch, raced whitewater slalom in the early 1990s, so it's hardly a pipe dream. Lotta my friends have done it already, but I just haven't had the time, money, etc come together all at once for that trip. One of these days.

Finally hiked partway into the Canyon this past summer while there. Oh man... just whetted my appetite for more. Hanging out at the rim doesn't compare with being down in.

Yeah - I'm spoiled for life. I can never go to the rim again. I'll always want to be down at the bottom, running the rapids and floating through time.

We've actually done the trip twice. I have photo journals of both trips on our website. The 2nd trip was with the grandfather of running dories down the Grand Canyon, Martin Litton, so it was covered by Outside Magazine.

They sent a reporter and a photographer on the trip with us. The photographer was primarily shooting wide format, and it took half the cargo area of a 18' rubber raft just to transport his gear. All my gear fit inside a medium sized Pelican case. I think he was jealous of my compact digital set-up sometimes. He ALWAYS made derogatory comments about digital gear. I think I took better pictures than he did.

2003 trip: http://dvandkq.net/Grand Canyon 2003.htm

2004 trip: http://dvandkq.net/Grand Canyon 2004.htm

Outside Magazine article on our trip: http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200506/grand-canyon-1.html

Back