• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

New bike

After riding my new '04 RT since last August I traded it in this week for a new '05 K 1200 LT. I do a lot of two up riding so I decided to move up to the K bike. I had never even test ridden a K bike so when I picked up the bike this past week I was wondering if I made the right decision. The RT is a great ride so I wondered if I would get lost on the K luxury. I live about 350 miles from the dealer so I got to feel it out right away. When you get behind the wheel you feel like the front is way out there compared to the RT, but it steers very well after my fears about how it is suppose to be a monster in the parking lots, must be the new trail extenstion on the 05. After about 10 miles I felt great. On the highway the bike feels great, moves great and the center of gravity feels lower than the RT. I can't wait to really strech its legs on a long ride. btw, my wife loves the ride!
:bliss

75/6 BMW
80 BMW RT
04 BMW RT
05 BMW LT

GS Drifter

Howdy ya'll. I'm 50, currently single, own a small business and I live off Hwy 50, east of Sacramento in El Dorado Hills, CA. Salmon Falls Road runs behind my house -- and that connects with Hwy 49. So, I have access to a bizzillion miles of great bike roads (paved and dirt) without ever seeing a freeway.

I can remember back in the early 70's, as a teenager in Santa Monica, there was this guy that commuted on a BMW with city cases. I remember how quiet it was -- barley audible in fact. And how tall it looked -- truly a unique machine. I said to myself, Self!someday, I'm going to get me one of them there!

Well, I ended up with a honda 50cc as a starter bike, then moved up to a Honda 350, then a bought a Norton 850 Commander. Then in 1979, I sold the Norton (my last bike for over 23 years), until I caught the bug again.

Naturally, the very next morning after the bug hit, I went down to the BMW dealer for a thorough check-up and to hopefully find a cure. After discussing the situation with the Sales Doc, he told me that I was no doubt suffering from a bad case of the dreaded lackomotoescapeus.

There was no question in my mind. Something had to be done -- and quickly! After a couple of additional tests (just to be sure) the sales Doc prescribed the R1150 GS with hard luggage. Finally, a cure! But not yet having obtained my motorcycle endorcement, I asked the good doctor if he could make a house call with my new bike. Yes, I bought the GS sans demo ride.

My 2002 GS ABS, is the slate gray with BMW top case and side luggage. I installed Motolights, Run-IN-Lights (front and rear), LED 'Back-off' brake lights, Throttle Miester and Corbin Canyon Sport heated seats.

I now have 21,000 miles on it and have ridden across 7 states. I avoid the Interstates like the plague -- and find much more riding pleasure when taking the back roads, and lesser traveled state and county routes. I consider myself an 'Adventure Touring' type, enjoying fishing, camping, photography, BSing around the fire etc.

Would be interested in meeting other GS Riders in the Greater Sacramento area.

Last edited:
You and your bike

Just an update...We made it to the Spokane National Rally and it was great. Of course the trip there and back was awesome. We managed to turn about 7600 miles on this trip and saw some of the greatest scenery ever.

Started out by doing our Iron Butt 1000 mile run and then slowed down a little to stop in Spearfish, SD for a pre rally. It was a good resting point and we met alot of people headed to Spokane. Took in some more new territories and managed to hit another rally in McCall, Idaho. (KTM rally) my companion had just bought a new 950 Adventure and wanted to catch a Tech seminar. Then on to Spokane.

After the rally, we did a run down the west coast from Oregon to upper California and then across Utah, Nevada, Colorada, Kansas and then on in to SC again. SOme of the most awesome sights ever. If you've never been...."Do It!!! Just Do It!":wow

Until later. and hey...it's great reading all about you guys...Keep up the posting..:D

follow-up

Yeah, I did Southern Utah in Late April. Pretty much had the whole freaking place to myself for about 75% of the trip.

Sounds likeyou really put on the miles

My name is Stephen and I'm a motorcycleaholic...

I'm Stephen Burns. Happily married for 3 years now, even though I'm told I spend more time working on my bike than with my wife.

I live off of Hwy 17 near Glenwood in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I'm a Web Developer for Topix.net - The Internet's Largest News Site and I commute every day to work to Palo Alto on my 1987 K75S that I purchased a year ago. I put on 14,000 miles in the first year, travelling to Vancouver BC, Ensenada, Mexico and northern Californa.

The bike was repainted in January with an original BMW color: classic black metallic. I've replaced all the bearings on it, replaced the brake rotors and had Brunos rebuild the drive shaft and spline. I love doing most of my own wrenching but leave the big jobs up to the dealer.

I'm Canadian, originally from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and I've lived in Toronto for 10 years too.

I started riding 3 years ago when I moved to California. First bike was a 1977 Kawasaki KZ400 and 9 months later I upgraded to a 1980 KZ750. That bike died on the last day of a trip back from BC, so I immediately found a K75s when I got back for $2100. My friend had one on our trip and I wanted one badly.

In November I attended the Keith Code SuperBike School and learned the Art of Cornering. I'll be attending my first BMW rally at CCBR's Beemer Bash in Quincy this September.

stephen_k75s.jpg

K75Sblack.jpg

Last edited:
GS Drifter said:
Howdy! Say, how do you like your new R1220GS?

It rocks. It's in for its 6K service right now. I'm sure it'll be happy when I get it back tomorrow. :bliss

Your new 1200GS

Did you have an 1150 before? If so, does the performance of the 1200 blow the 1150 away? or is it slightly better in the get-up-and-go department?

Re: Your new 1200GS

GS Drifter said:
Did you have an 1150 before? If so, does the performance of the 1200 blow the 1150 away? or is it slightly better in the get-up-and-go department?

No, I had an R11S. We also have an R1150R and an R11RS. The GS is more powerful, which is nice, but most of all, it's lighter. I can ride this bike like a sportbike on the weekends, then pack all my junk on it and ride it damn near anywhere. It's simply the most flexible motorcycle I've ever ridden. When we were in the hills, I could get past the 1150s I was riding with without too much difficulty (right, Rob? :evil)

I think the reason you could get pass Ritalin Rob is that he had more stuff packed on his bike than even I did, he just packed it better.

Tank panniers!?

Third time's a charm

Well now, here's a picture of the new RT.

Some of you probably know the Grey Ghost disappeared just
after the National. To make a long story short, it was recovered
but I wasn't sure I wanted it back. A couple of problems indicated
it might (or might not) have been ridden hard and put away
wet. Not wanting to find out, I got rid of it and replaced it with
this:

7330932-S-1.jpg

It's the same but different. It shifts better and is smoother and
I think the break in period will just make it better.

Cheers,
Ian

Beauty!

Nice color, too. Amazing that BMW is getting ready to replace a true work of art.

MarkF

Hehee - been playing with this for 2 hours now. I am such a dummy when it comes to computers. Finally got a picture to post of me and Fritz. I hope this one is big enuff to see. Fritz is the good looking one.

This was taken near Delta Junction in Alaska.

Attachments

• moa2.jpg
    moa2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 846
Back