• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Howdy

Hi, Dwayne. I'm from Bradford, Ontario Canada. I would have posted earlier, but the igloo needed some attention. :laugh

In May of this year I purchased a brand spankin..still in her crate 2005 R 1150 R. It was last years model, but I guess they had a hard time selling the Dark Ferro R's. I fell in love with it, which has a lot to do with the lack of chrome. I commute on my bike everyday, rain or shine. I now have just under 11,000 Km's on her. My previous ride was a 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC, with enough chrome to scare a Harley into submission. That bike too was a daily commuter, but polishing chrome...EVERY SINGLE DAY, was starting to get old. Heated grips is the other reason I fell in love with the R.
I'll include (try) of the bike when she was still a new born in her crate. Very neat that the dealer went through the trouble to photgraph this, and even gave me the crate which I am turning into a picture frame once I get some really nice shots of the bike.

Attachments

• crate small.jpg
    crate small.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,016
6,000 miles loop solo, Iowa-BC,Canada-Oregon-California-Utah-Iowa in 3weeks.

I am Camilo, I just did this great trip in my R1150 GS ADV, tons of pictures, challenging and rewarding. Stopped at the Bee Cee Beemers Rally at the Nakusp Hotsprings BC, Canada. Then a tree house resort in Takilma, Oregon. Then the Redwood NP, Sequioa NP, Mojave, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase - Escalante, Capitol Reef, then Colorado and back to Iowa.

Attachments

• Route-Map.GIF
    Route-Map.GIF
    42.2 KB · Views: 560
Figured it was my turn...

Nathan
20 years old
Saint Charles (near St Louis), MO
Member of MOA for a year now.
Own a R75/6, and 4 dirtbikes/2 four-wheelers.
Attending the community college, but will transfer to UMR for Aerospace Engineering.
Owner of a commercial lawncare business for the past 3 years.
That's it.

crazydrummerdude said:
Nathan
20 years old
Saint Charles (near St Louis), MO
Member of MOA for a year now.
Own a R75/6, and 4 dirtbikes/2 four-wheelers.
Attending the community college, but will transfer to UMR for Aerospace Engineering.
Owner of a commercial lawncare business for the past 3 years.
That's it.
Welcome aboard, Nathan. As you have already seen, this is a fun place and a great bunch of folks.

Ello Mate!

Well, I guess it's my turn. My name is Elliot Carroll and I'm 22. I'm originally from Southern Pennsylvania, but now I never stay in one place longer than a week. I work for a touring production company and I'm on the road 11 months a year, which is great, because I get to ride my bike alot. I started with a 2002 F650GS and loved the bike, but wanted some bigger, faster, and a bit more comfortable. So I went with a 2002 K1200RSA and I love it so much that I'll never get rid of it, ever. I'll just have to buy a 1200GS in a couple years for more off-road adventures. I've been a member since Dec 2005, and haven't been to a single rally of any kind. I work weekends, it's tough to get out of work. But hopefully, I'll be able to catch one soon. I have 37,318 miles under my belt, in 19 months and look forward to keep riding hard. Look, it'sa me!

Attachments

• myspacemain.JPG
    myspacemain.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 519
Jeff
47 YO
I reside just outside Richmond VA.
I purchased my '04 Rockster back in April of this year.
Prior to this I had a '77 Yamaha XS650 and a '96 Honda Shadow 650.
I started riding on the street about 11 years ago, I had ridden dirt bikes as a youngster. I love to ride, but don't get to much seat time right now. Mostly a weekender and occasionally (3 or 4 times a month) commute to work and back.
I've been a member of the MOA since shortly after I purchased my Rockster. I love the Ride Reports and Tech tips.

Petey Casper

Greetings All: My name is Pete, friends call me Petey or Pedro. I am currently 38 years old. I donÔÇÖt know what my enemies, if any, call me and I really donÔÇÖt care. I have loved motorcycles since my first ride on an AMF 90cc ÔÇ£mini-bikeÔÇØ. The only Harley I really enjoyed riding *smile*. I was 5 or 6 at the time. I am currently a government attorney and work for NYS Thruway Authority (I do most of their environmental legal work). Before going to law school I spent many years over seas. I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay and after that I taught sixth grade in Puerto Rico (hence the name ÔÇ£PedroÔÇØ). I have owned many bikes in my time. My current bikes include a 1984 R100 and two CB350s (one road racer and one street/parts bike). My wife also rides and outside of our various trips on bikes together I truly enjoyed my stay in Paraguay, which allowed me to scoot around many parts of South America on a Yamaha 125. More then enough bike to ÔÇ£scoot aroundÔÇØ on. I look forward to meeting you all on the road and if you ever drive by the Thruway Authority building off of I-87 Exit 23 (NY), give the building a wave....It is likely I will see you.

New BMW Rider

Hello

My name is Dom Chang and I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT last week at the Sturgis Beemer dealer. I had ridden up in a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and ended up riding back on the R1150RT! (long story, see blog if curious).

This is my second bike and I bought my first at the end of May of 2006, so pretty much a noobie. I had put over 5000 miles though on my bike since the first of June of this year and love riding.

I work for my own company as a computer networks consultant, married, father to two boys, living in Centennial, Colorado.

co_g30 said:
Hello

My name is Dom Chang and I bought a 2004 BMW R1150RT last week at the Sturgis Beemer dealer. I had ridden up in a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750 and ended up riding back on the R1150RT! (long story, see blog if curious).

This is my second bike and I bought my first at the end of May of 2006, so pretty much a noobie. I had put over 5000 miles though on my bike since the first of June of this year and love riding.

I work for my own company as a computer networks consultant, married, father to two boys, living in Centennial, Colorado.

Congratulations on the purchase, Dom. I read this post and smiled, you now own the bike I traded in for my new GS. I just went through your blog, interesting reading. Sorry to hear you have had a couple of drops, it does happen. As I'm sure you could see when you bought it, I never did drop it. But I can sure see how it can happen. Hang in there, it'll get easier to handle, it felt pretty big and bulky to me too when I first bought it. Don't be afraid to email me with any questions. Again, congratualtions on your purchase, you bought a well cared for bike that will treat you well for a long long time. (I see you also posted on the 1150 seat jack thread, those are the pieces of wood I put in there, and the pictures were taken with that bike. Small world, huh?) Your bike is still in my avatar, I will change it one of these days. Take care, and enjoy your machine.

back riding

My name is mark and bought a k75rt this past spring.I have ridden since I was 18 or so.I'm 51 yrs old and folks my age were likely to have started riding on a 350 honda.I owned a used one for a year or two and then moved up to a 550 honda 4 cylinder.When I was about 22 I bought a brand new '77 R100/7.I put a Luftmeister fairing with lowers and Krauser saddle bags on it.I live in suburban Chicago.I rode that bike to the Blue ridge Parkway four years in a row.When I would be back home I was spoiled from those trips.It's not much fun riding in the Midwest after experiencing the beautiful Appalachians.I got married and had a few kids and sold the bike,in about '92, as it was not getting any use.The kids grew up and so now I've got some time to ride.I really like the K75.It is a big step up from the r100.

Hi, My name is Pedrum

Hello Everyone:

My name is Pedrum, in Santa Monica, California (Los Angeles). I am a new rider. It took me a long time to realize my goal of riding, but I finally did it this year. I own a 2006 F650 GS, which I enjoy immensely. This weekend I had the opportunity to take a ride to the famous "The Rock Store" on Mulholland Hwy. For those of you who are not familiar check out their website: http://www.rock-store.com/. The drive there is absolutely fantastic. Drive back is equally phenomenal. Unfortunately no Jay, Arnold or Matt; however, I'll be going there regularly so I'll eventually run into them. If anyone in my neck of the woods is interested and would like to hook and take the ride with me, feel free to email me.

Cheers,
P.

:bar

Attachments

• Pedrum_1.JPG
    Pedrum_1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Message to mark2wheeler

Mark, sounds like a familiar story. I am 51 also. k75s rule. Hope BMW continues to make parts available for them. Several times I thought I would sell my k75 and get a newer BMW model, paralever and all that. No, that would have been stupid. :banghead Instead I plan on keeping this bike whether I buy a new one or not. I feel I can take this bike anywhere, except where a GS may wander off the road, but actually what I mean is that I can take this bike on a short trip to the store, just putt around my city, or go on an extended multi thousand mile tour in all sorts of weather. Even though the bike may never be thought of in the same light as a classic airhead, my thoughts are evolving into thinking that this is a bike worth preserving.

k75s said:
Mark, sounds like a familiar story. I am 51 also. k75s rule. Hope BMW continues to make parts available for them. Several times I thought I would sell my k75 and get a newer BMW model, paralever and all that. No, that would have been stupid. :banghead Instead I plan on keeping this bike whether I buy a new one or not. I feel I can take this bike anywhere, except where a GS may wander off the road, but actually what I mean is that I can take this bike on a short trip to the store, just putt around my city, or go on an extended multi thousand mile tour in all sorts of weather. Even though the bike may never be thought of in the same light as a classic airhead, my thoughts are evolving into thinking that this is a bike worth preserving.

At first I thought of my K75S as a starter bike, to be traded in for the next one. But considering all I've done to her in the two months I've had the privilege of owning her, and considering the market research I've done subsequent to buying her, she's appreciating in value (both sentimental and economic) on a daily basis. How could I give her up now - even if it were for a new bike?

When it comes time to get a new bike, I think I'll just clear out a little more space in the garage so I can keep the old along with the new.

Hello, my name is Rick Barry, I live in Central FL, originally from NH and work as a deputy sheriff spend most of my off time riding 1 of my 2 Beemers. I have an LT and an R12C. Been ridin for the better part of 20 yrs, Harleys up until 4 yrs ago when I got my first Beemmer (the cruiser). I've ridden in every state east of the Mississippi, now its time to venture west.

My story

Hello everyone, I am Steve from Austin,TX. Headed into my 50th year and CAN retire from my 30 years ( 23 in Austin) in the electric utility bidness as a power lineman and now a manager over the training section . Only been in the BMW "club" for 9 months, but have ridden two wheels(some not with motors) for the past 35. I sold a HD when I was 25 and w/ 3 kids...it was decided I needed to "be responsible"...looking back it was " I can't ride with you so get rid of it!" I stayed off of motorized bikes ,well ,not owning one, for the next 22 years. I was given a set of keys to a brand new bike to use for rally in TX by a gracious/thankful neighbor for favors done and haven't stopped since...I bought a HD, then an 05'RT( after my girlfriend who rides a 95 R 1100R as well as HD's introduced me to BeemerWorld ) I also currently have two '02 R1150R's and have looked at a / airhead or two so I know i will prob have one also... Brought the latest R back from MOA owner in Indiana Christmas week in between storms .Have been to Sipapu Rally as well as a few Big Bend runs...Central Texas has plenty of back roads and twisties to keep rides interesting.... Headed to the Carolinas in June and the Wisconsin rally in July...ride with the SanAntonio BMW club almost every weekend....seem to end up in Luckenbach on Sundays at 1PM no matter what route we take!!Right,Chuck?

Attachments

• DSCF0976 2.JPG
    DSCF0976 2.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 438
the newbie

stop on Dec 28 on Natchez Trace coming home to TX on newest of R bikes in my garage

Attachments

• Trace.JPG
    Trace.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 441
My story and I'm sticking to it....

My name is Marc Krouse from Cary, NC and I started riding again in 1995 when my 17 year old daughter wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. We attended an MSF class together and riding helped her develop self confidence along with a special identity rare in most high school girls: Motorcylist.

My first BMW was a 1975 R90S recovered from a garage near the Duke campus in Durham, NC. It spend 6 months in my living room then emerged for a paint job. Gone now. Sad. Never sell a paid for bike.

My second BMW was a 1996 R1100RSL that I bought for my 19 year old son. Purchased used and sight unseen from Phoeniz, AZ. He flew out to AZ and rode it back on his first long distance solo ride. A great adventure. It currently resides in Yuma, AZ where he is working at his first job after college and a BMWMOA member.

My third BMW is a 2002 K1200RS purchased used locally and it is my favorite bike so far. I think it is a cross between my former 1999 Honda CBR1100XX and the R1100RSL. Comfort and power. My oh my what a fine thing is electronic cruise control.

I'll be 62 next month and I still remember my first ride on a Honda S90 in 1965. Actually more vividly than this past Monday's New Year's Ride. Short term memory thing. 1966 had me aboard the biggest bike Honda made at the time, 1965 Honda Superhawk 305. No helmet. No boots. No gloves. No jacket. Sunglasses and loafers. My grades suffered.

Now to get aboard the K12RS and head out west again, check out the same wonderful roads ridden in 2005 for 8K miles aboard a 2005 Ducati ST3. Surely the K bike will be an improvement on Nevada's route 50. And CA 36. And UT 12. And ID 12. And WA 129. And CO 92. Oh my.

Attachments

• bmw2.jpg
    bmw2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 439
Back