• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard and also welcome to the Rock! I'll mark down Thursday evening and try and make it.. Heading down to Portland tomorrow and may not be back in time by Thursday but I'll give it try.... Look forward to meeting you...and interested in the turn out for Thursday....

Recent relocation to WA, wife and I decided to make a move and here we are! Looking forward to exploring the West and will do it on my '09 R1200GS-A. Did a trip last July down to San Diego for contract work and made quite a few stops in between. Hope to head out again soon and see some stuff I skipped last time.
8 year Marine Corps vet, trying to get into the WA National Guard. Always wanted to work in aviation and they have cool helicopters here!
Spent the last 12 years working in motorsports, racing shock builder, and looking for full time employment. Hard to translate race car into anything else employers might understand. I make race cars get more grip, hire me please.
So, see you all on the road somewhere, come visit Bainbridge the last Thursday of every month for Bike Night at the Madison Diner!

1z1btyh.jpg

Is that the old Streamliner Diner? What is the location?

Jack

New member from ESPANOLA, ONTARIO, CANADA

Hi
My name is Rob. Member #189494. I reside up in northern Ontario. I have been riding since 1982. My first was a honda 750 Nighthawk, which I rode for 5 years. My next was a honda V-65 Magna, then went to a 2000 650 v-star, then, in 2001 I purchased a used 1994 1100 GS , which I rode till 2005 and then traded for a new 2005 1200 GS. I added a old cooler protector, a headlight protector, beak protector, crash bars. I will be installing a set of LED lights shortly ( ridgid). Other than those items, the bike is stock. So far , I'm pleased with this GS so far.. . Wife and I try hard to get away for a 9 or 10 day trip every year. This will likely increase when we retire. I like to ride secondary highways and roads that are less travelled, including some gravel roads....I once went on a ADV ride which included, an old RAILBED.... I soon found out that my skill level was limited.....I was just happy that I never dropped the beast....just added a2012 Suzuki DR 650 se in oct,2013 for some more technical ADV rides.
Rob.
Happy trails
Rob.

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Hi folks, new member here. I've been riding for about 35 years now, owned various bikes over that span and after the last 13 years and over 100k miles on Triumphs I've finally come to an R1200R. I attened my first rally several weeks ago the VBR3 in Duluth, MN and caught the bug. Fantastic trip, met some very nice folks, and look forward to seeing them in the future. One of the best parts of the trip was on the way home, I stopped at a MacD's for coffee and ran into a couple on a Harley from Texas, traded a story or two, when a guy from Montana pulled in on his way back from Pennsylvania on an F650 loaded down with car parts, you never know what you will run into or who, these moments make trips special, people never met before, maybe will never see again, just a few moments shared over a cup of steaming coffee in a parking lot over a motorcycle. I'm facinated by the aproachability that a motorcycle brings, it seems to be an icebreaker a conversation starter, that middle age guy who walks up with his "back in the day" and the envious gleam in his eye, I love to hear their stories. Cars dont start these conversations, motorcycles do. If you see a Red R1200R with Maine plates, make sure you say hi. I'm looking forward to seeing you out there.

Hi there!
I can't believe this is the first time I have seen this thread?

Great idea!

Darryl Cainey here, been riding 45+ years 27 on my 1977 R100RS with 522,000 miles.
Happily married to my riding partner Terry for 30 years. We live in Fenwick Ontario Canada on 2.5 acres in the country.
We have 2 Siberian Huskies and have had 7 over 32 years.
I am a retired General Motors Autoworker serving 28 years as a Metallurgical Technician as well as Quality Control & Technical Writing.
We are 2 of the 8 founding members of the Niagara BMW Riders MOA Club #298 and I have been Club President for the last 18
years.
I was blessed with an Ambassadorship around 1996 and in my spare time I try to write a few MOA articles for the Owners News.

I have owned many bikes prior to getting my BMW,
Honda Super Cub 50, Honda 750, Dunstall Honda, Rickman Honda, Honda CBX
Suzuki GS1000S
Yamaha FJ1100
Kawasaki 500 Mach III
BSA 250 Starfire

Safe riding out there!

Attachments

• DSC00926.jpg
    DSC00926.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 254
New BMW owner/New member about to cross the US.

Hello,
I bought my second bike, an F800GT in June and it's gradually replacing my cars for daily use. In January I have a business trip to Tampa, Florida. I live in Orange County, CA and have ridden to and from San Francisco. But as SoCal guy I don't yet have any experience with weather. Unless you count heat waves. My question is: what sort of weather should I prepare for in crossing AZ, NM, TX, AL, MS, bits of GA, and into Florida? It seems as if the temperature shouldn't be too low, but possibly a lot wetter than I'm accustomed. Since it's for business I won't be doing the scenic thing, just traveling fast in a more enjoyable method than an airplane.
Your thoughts would be appreciated,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 167
Welcome to the forum Chris!
Your post may help rejuvenate this old thread. Sometimes the questions that you ask are better answered in the Ride Reports area of the forum. Hopefully members will remember this thread and catch up on the goings on.
Any questions, just ask.
Gary

Recent relocation to WA, wife and I decided to make a move and here we are! Looking forward to exploring the West and will do it on my '09 R1200GS-A. Did a trip last July down to San Diego for contract work and made quite a few stops in between. Hope to head out again soon and see some stuff I skipped last time.
8 year Marine Corps vet, trying to get into the WA National Guard. Always wanted to work in aviation and they have cool helicopters here!
Spent the last 12 years working in motorsports, racing shock builder, and looking for full time employment. Hard to translate race car into anything else employers might understand. I make race cars get more grip, hire me please.
So, see you all on the road somewhere, come visit Bainbridge the last Thursday of every month for Bike Night at the Madison Diner!

1z1btyh.jpg

Hey Mikeraces. What jacket is that?

P1040250BB.jpg

Hello all....after a much to long hiatus from riding;(30 yrs); my Bride and I have begun to make up for lost time. We purchased our year 2000 R1100RT in the spring 2010 with 34,000 miles on her, and have loved riding this beast of a machine ever since. We have just over 105,000 miles on her now and there's no sign of stopping anytime soon.

Attachments

• P1040250b.jpg
    P1040250b.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 174
Back