• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

I'm Tom

I've owned BMW autos since 1987 and always fantasized about motorcycles. I wasn't actually sure I was going to get a BMW bike but as luck would have it, I had one fall into my lap. I took a MSF at a local Harley dealership because unlike many of you, I have ZERO skillz. Sitting on a Buell the morning of the MSF workshop was my first ride.

I found this '98 R1100R in the paper and went to see it. With just a hair over 2k on the odometer I was sure I found a pearl of a bike. It's clean like it's never been ridden and the mechanic tells me he's jealous.

I rode nearly 200 miles this weekend and plan to put my but on it every chance I get. I'm enjoying riding and the club very much so far.

Attachments

• bmw r1100r small.jpg
    bmw r1100r small.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 513
My turn, I guess...

My first ride was on the back of a UJM for all of about 10 miles around Gnadenhutten, OH with my Uncle Greg when I was 13. Didn't think about motorcycles until one day in my late 20s: I was just sitting at home trying to study on a Sunday but kept getting distracted by the sound of motorcycles. Seems someone had routed a group ride -- for about 200 bikes! -- past my front door. I realized that the riders were having more fun than I was. Signed up for the MSF class, got a 400cc Yamaha Seca, and never looked back.

Rode the Seca from NJ back to Ohio and realized that going 55mph, top speed up a hill, on Rt 80 was not a Good Thing. Got a 1981 Suzuki GS850 in the early 90s. That bike, <i>Tookish</i>, and I made a pretty good team for over a decade. But now I'm planning the Big Trip. Summer 2006 I want to spend just riding -- maybe Hyder? Maybe Coldfoot? Maybe just Banff? -- and I wanted a smooth bike with ABS. Got the 1992 K75RT on Ebay around Thanksgiving.

As for the rest of my life: my wonderful husband rides an R65, but he never gets time for long trips. He's the commuter, I'm the tourer. I used to be a computer consultant / information systems engineer, until my life looked too much like "Dilbert." Went back to school (that's why I was studying that summer day all those years ago); these days I'm a Family Medicine physician -- so I can b*tch about the AMA <i>and</i> the AMA.

Right now, the K75 is partially disassembled in the garage, so I don't have pictures of it yet. This'll have to do for now.

Attachments

• madgirl1c.jpg
    madgirl1c.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 492
Howdy,
I started out with a Lil' Indian minibike back in 1969. Graduated to a CT70 in 1970. Picked up another Honda, an MT125 in 1977. Rode my roommate's BMW R90/6 around that time as well, but, being a poor college student, had to make do with the 125. Moved up to an RD350 in 1980 - that thing was a rocket. Bought a Kaw EX500 in 1987, a Yamaha RZ500 in 1998, an RZ350 in 1999 (later totaled by a car), another dirtbike (Kaw KLR250) in 2003, another RZ500 in 2004, and finally, a BMW R100S a couple of week ago.

I was finally able to take it for a ride today as it was in the upper 40's here by Detroit. What a cool bike! I hope to have several rides around MI this summer. I'm hoping to find an "S" fairing, as I like that look better than the one currently on the bike (but I did stay nice and toasty today behind that barn door!), and I might even put the battery side covers on.

Attachments

• r100s.jpg
    r100s.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 477
trash on the holy Blue Ridge Parkway

Hello-
I am a 14-year member of MOA who moved to Roanoke, VA specifically for the riding. I've been here since July 'o5, and I live one mile from the entrance at milepost 121. I just cannot believe the roadside TRASH I see on nearly every joyride, north or south! How can any human being feel good about tossing WENDY'S dinner for four out the window of the SUV on the Blue Ridge Parkway?!?! I see more trash in the ten miles that skirt Roanoke than the next 100+ to the Skyline Drive. It is downright disgusting and makes me hate 4-wheelers even more than normal.

I'm also a new member of MOA and live in Qu?®bec, Canada A.K.A. 'The Great White North'. A wonderful place to visit in the summer (especially on a bike).
Right now, I've got about 6' of snow on my front lawn.
I guess Global Warming forgot about my town.....

My current bike is a 2003 1150GS which I bought for a great price in 2004 as the dealer was making room for the new and improved 1200GS model coming in.
Anyways, I've had the bike for two years and may be trading up for a new 2006 1200RT. It would be a bit more comfortable (better wind protection) as well.

Any comments on the new 1200RT would be appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,

Patrick

New Cincinnati 650 GS "BikeLawyer" is on the Road!

:bikes
I am a two wheeled lawyer/musician whose law practice has included 100+ "bike" cases involving injured riders. I've been bicycling for years and just started riding motorcycles last fall after taking the MSF class. I researched a good "first bike" for a 48 yr old guy who hadn't ridden anything with two wheels and a motor since "Ruppsters" in elementary school. The F650 kept coming up as a good, nimble, quick, reliable machine that one wouldn't tire of after riding it for a while. I think the thing that sold me was The Chain Gang website, and the passion the 650's owners seem to have for thie rmachines ... this took me back a few years to my Jeep Wrangler days - call it brand loyalty, whatever, Wrangler owners flip each other the "J" and love their Tinkertoy Vehicles with the removeable doors, windshield and such! I picked up a 2001 650 GS at a fair price from a lovely young long-legged blonde-haired engineer who worked for Honda, of all places. She needed the cash to buy a house, and I liked the red bike with the aluminum bags! After a decidedly wobbly start [I almost did a wheelie my first time on the road and learned a valuable lesson from Mr. Torque...], I've been riding as often as I can. I regularly commuted the 20 miles to downtown Cincinnati, 70 mph, bumper to bumper on the 3 lanes of Columbia Parkway, and I have hooked my 11 yr old, who thinks it's damn cool to show up for 6th grade on the back of a bike. I rode all winter and just this week finally experienced the joy of riding without wishing I had gotten a bike with heated grips! My new job includes a gorgeous ride through some of Cincinnati's finest wooded neighborhoods. Now, I'm planning a trip from Cincinnati to Santa Fe, along Route 66... should be interesting.

bikelawyer said:
:bikes
I am a two wheeled lawyer/musician whose law practice has included 100+ "bike" cases involving injured riders. I've been bicycling for years and just started riding motorcycles last fall after taking the MSF class. I researched a good "first bike" for a 48 yr old guy who hadn't ridden anything with two wheels and a motor since "Ruppsters" in elementary school. The F650 kept coming up as a good, nimble, quick, reliable machine that one wouldn't tire of after riding it for a while. I think the thing that sold me was The Chain Gang website, and the passion the 650's owners seem to have for thie rmachines ... this took me back a few years to my Jeep Wrangler days - call it brand loyalty, whatever, Wrangler owners flip each other the "J" and love their Tinkertoy Vehicles with the removeable doors, windshield and such! I picked up a 2001 650 GS at a fair price from a lovely young long-legged blonde-haired engineer who worked for Honda, of all places. She needed the cash to buy a house, and I liked the red bike with the aluminum bags! After a decidedly wobbly start [I almost did a wheelie my first time on the road and learned a valuable lesson from Mr. Torque...], I've been riding as often as I can. I regularly commuted the 20 miles to downtown Cincinnati, 70 mph, bumper to bumper on the 3 lanes of Columbia Parkway, and I have hooked my 11 yr old, who thinks it's damn cool to show up for 6th grade on the back of a bike. I rode all winter and just this week finally experienced the joy of riding without wishing I had gotten a bike with heated grips! My new job includes a gorgeous ride through some of Cincinnati's finest wooded neighborhoods. Now, I'm planning a trip from Cincinnati to Santa Fe, along Route 66... should be interesting.

Got a card? :rolleyes

HarveyMushman said:
Hey, folks. My name is not in fact Harvey Mushman, it's Tim White. I'm 29, married to the lovely and gracious Lady Pamela, and the father of 3 fur-kids. Two-legged kids are probably not too far down the road. Pam and I are both graduates of the University of Georgia. She is a teacher and I am employed as a writer (technical and otherwise) by a federal contractor in Virginia.

I started riding in Feb. '01, on a '00 Kawasaki ZR-7. It was (and is--it's for sale!) a great bike and I put nearly 30K miles on it in two years. But I wanted something more broadly capable, something to take me wherever I wanted to go with ease. So I bought a '02 R1150GS this past Feb. and I'm very happy I did. In 12K miles I've found it to be a fun and capable commuter, backroad explorer, trackday weapon, and two-up wanderer.

Assuming there is no snow or ice, I ride to work every day and spend most of my free time searching for new roads (paved and non) in the Virginia and West Virginia hills.

Hello.
150623-M.jpg

Be careful out there, Pam says.
223682-M.jpg

Harvey Mushman? I attended a Penton/Husky dealer open house a lot of yrs. ago that John Penton Sr. attended. That was a trivia question: "What name did Steve McQueen use......". Thanks for the memory.

jerryb

BMWRider said:
:wave
Howdy, Fish, Harvey, Mr. & Mrs. Kbasa and others ...
Name's Dan Pennell, a native of Columbus, OH where I still reside (luckily only about 4 miles from a BMW dealer).
I began riding in the mid-70s while in college. I'm not the type to casually jump into something, so I threw myself into motorcycling, reading everything I could get my hands on, learning everything I could. I did a little traveling but didn't have much of a budget. I rode Japanese bikes for about 12 years, got married, bought my first house - you can see it coming, can't you? - and sold my trusty Kawasaki KZ750. It was now time to be "responsible" and "safe".
Of course, that turned out to be quite boring, so I jumped back into bikes in a big way (literally) in 1993 with the purchase of a new GL1500 Gold Wing. But I had always secretly yearned for a BMW since reading the late Roger Hull's Road Rider magazine in the 70s.
A few years later - you can see it coming, can't you? - I got divorced and suddenly the Wing lost its appeal to me. It was time for something more sporting, yet still capable of cross-country travel. A lightly-used '96 R1100RT was my first dive into BMW ownership and it was love at first sight, sound, and feel. The fit, finish, quality, ergonomics and aesthetics of the Boxer Twin seemed to speak to me in a way no other bike had ...
Fast forward a couple of years and - you can see it coming, can't you? - I got remarried. The RT left a little to be desired 2-up, so I opted for the then-new K1200LT. Fantastic luxury tourer! I put 22,500 miles on the bike in short order, figuring I'd have it forever.
However, my wife didn't take to riding quite the way I'd planned and I was once again getting a serious hankering for another Boxer Twin, the GS in particular. That funky styling, the do-anything, go-anywhere spirit of the bike began to work on my soul again and before long, the LT was history, replaced by a black R1150GS.
I have my complaints about BMWs, mainly the expensive and too-frequent maintenance chores, but I have a hard time picturing myself on any other machines from this point on. Beemers are a quirky mix of tradition (the boxer engine), high tech (the Telelever suspension) and deliciously bold and ballsy styling. Plus the fact, when purchasing a BMW, the owner becomes a part of a very unique group of men and women who appreciate and even revel in riding something different than anything else on the market ...

Me posing near a famous road sign recently while in Missouri:

279517-M.jpg

And my bike:

290084-M.jpg

Nice writing.

My card...

Thanks! I'm "gearing up" for my first solo ride... 1500 miles from Cincy to Santa Fe leaving Tuesday... weather prediction RAIN of course... My hope is to ride all morning - find a WiFi spot from 12-3 and do a day's work - then ride til I tire... we'll see...

Steve Magas
BikeLawyer@aol.com
513-484-BIKE

I do bicycle and motorcycle cases, primarily - I've done hundreds of personal injury cases since 1982. I'm working on getting my motorcycle law website up and running. My bicycle lawyer website is http://www.bicycleattorney.com/Ohio.htm
I've been called into bike cases in KY, IN, NJ, FL, VA and of course many in OH~

Also, I handle pretty much any type of dispute resolution in matters where people are thinking suing somebody... I normally try to dissuade normal folks from lawsuits... they're expensive, time consuming, anxiety provoking and simply no fun for anyone but the lawyers!

SM

Last edited:
bikelawyer said:
Thanks! I'm "gearing up" for my first solo ride... 1500 miles from Cincy to Santa Fe leaving Tuesday... weather prediction RAIN of course... My hope is to ride all morning - find a WiFi spot from 12-3 and do a day's work - then ride til I tire... we'll see...

Steve Magas
BikeLawyer@aol.com
513-484-BIKE

I do bicycle and motorcycle cases, primarily - I've done hundreds of personal injury cases since 1982. I'm working on getting my motorcycle law website up and running. My bicycle lawyer website is http://www.bicycleattorney.com/Ohio.htm
I've been called into bike cases in KY, IN, NJ, FL, VA and of course many in OH~

Also, I handle pretty much any type of dispute resolution in matters where people are thinking suing somebody... I normally try to dissuade normal folks from lawsuits... they're expensive, time consuming, anxiety provoking and simply no fun for anyone but the lawyers!

SM

We'd rather this wasn't used as advertising. :buds

Thanks, man.

bikelawyer said:

Steve Magas
BikeLawyer@aol.com
513-484-BIKE

SM

We'd rather this place wasn't used for advertising sort of stuff. :buds

You can send Stuff2C a PM with all that. :D

Thanks! No worries!

KBasa said:
We'd rather this place wasn't used for advertising sort of stuff. :buds

You can send Stuff2C a PM with all that. :D

Thanks! No worries!

Thanks K:huh (does this mean you don't love me anymore?)

That's just what I need is a contingency lawyer looking for work on the BMW web-site. :help

I guess chasing bicycles is safer than chasing ambulances. :dog

Last edited:
For WiFi Access I like Panera Breads they are free for wireless. Also Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and the good ole public library. Plus you never know what you might find in the anonymous book ;)

Me and my bike

IM001981.png

OK. That's my new to me, 2000 R1100RT. I am Robert Denis and I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I am married (for the second time) to the lovely Mary Ann :love . That's her and her brand new Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD just below.

MA1.jpg

I have two daughters from my first marriage, Amanda (19) and Stephanie (18). Amanda has given me a grandson, Darius (2).

I spent 18 years serving my country in the Canadian Forces. I served in Ottawa (11 years), Inuvik, NWT (2 years), Imperial Beach, California (2 years) and here in Edmonton (2 years). The year that isn't in that total was spent in basic training at Cornwallis, NS and trade training in Kingston, Ontario. I was involved in military communications and wore an Air Force uniform. I took early retirement in 1995 because I really did not want to leave Edmonton. In addition to those postings, I did 4 temporary duty tours at CFS Alert, Nunavut (82 degrees 30 minutes North, 62 degrees 21 minutes West) totalling 23 months. I tell ya - that place is party central north of 80.

Since retiring I have been working as a computer/network support technician. The last 5 years for St. Albert Catholic Schools. BTW, I don't do Windows :laugh .

I began riding motorcycles way back in 1982 while serving at Imperial Beach (down there by San Diego). My first bike was a 1977 Kawasaki KZ400. I rode it for about 8 months until it was stolen. With the insurance money, I bought a 1978 Honda CB500T. I shipped that bike up to Inuvik. While in Inuvik, I sold the Honda and bought a 1982 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special. I put a Vetter QuickSilver fairing and some Vetter Bagman saddle bags on it and shipped it out to Edmonton where I picked it up. Then, for the heck of it, I rode from Edmonton to San Diego and back over a 2 week period (I had tickets to a Padres game). Then disaster of sorts struck. I put the bike in my mom's barn and did not prep it properly for the winter storage. When I went to pick it up, it had developed some rusting in the transmission. I had the money to fix it but not the time. So I sold it to a motorcycle recycle business. I still have the saddle bags. They are in great shape still.

Fast forward 20 years and two kids later, my desire to ride would not go away. Through the entire time, I kept the fire burning. Every time I saw a bike, I would look longingly at it. At some point during that 20 years, I saw a picture of a BMW RT bike and fell in love with the look and the concept.

A year ago, after 9 years of listening to my begging, Mary Ann decided that it was getting to be time for me to have another motorcycle. She reasoned that it was going to happen anyways so why not now while I am young enough to enjoy it. She told me that I had to save up for it. She suggested my pocket change which I usually just dump on my dresser. I think this was just a ploy to get me to clean up the dresser.

I started shopping and saving. I looked at all the Japanese manufacturer's web sites. Checked the listed prices and decided the bike I liked best in what I figured would be my price range was the Suzuki C50T. A bit more than $10K CDN. Then I rode one. Was not impressed by the noise or the ride quality. The it struck me. I have never been a fan of HD bikes, why would I want one that looked like an HD. So I started the search again. The Kawasaki Concours then grabbed my attention. A bike designed for touring. That was going to be my bike. Then we walked into the local BMW dealer (Argyll Motorsports). And there she was. This beautiful, neonblau, 2000 R1100RT. We talked to the salesman. I looked at the price - a bit higher than the 2006 Concours. I looked at Mary Ann and asked if it would fit in the budget. Having heard my talk lovingly about BMW RT bikes in the past (and knowing that brand new was definitely out of budget). Her response -- "It's what you want, dear." So, I bought it. That was on 7 January. The dealer agreed to store it until it was safe to ride (rain I can live with - ice not a chance). I picked it up on 8 April and have been having a blast with it ever since. I also took a Motorcycle Rider Safety Training course as a refresher because I know I forgot lots of stuff (took an MSF course while at Imperial Beach as well).

Took Mary Ann for her first ever motorcycle ride. Went to the beer store 6 blocks away via the town of Tofield. A trip of about 160 km. 2 weeks later, her second ride - for coffee at her mom and dad's (about 15 blocks) via Onoway (about 200 km round trip). In the mean time, I have been taking 2 or 3 hour rides out and about on weekends with out her.

Then she breaks the news to me. She doesn't like riding on the back of the RT. She says it's boring, she cannot talk to me, she has no control. So I suggest getting her a bike of her own. Her eyes lit up. I did some web shopping and decided on the Vulcan 500 based on displacement, layout, weight and price. She liked the look of it. We went and sat on it. Came back two days later and bought it. I picked it up on 20 May. Started giving her some very basic lessons the following Monday. So far, Spock Jr. has about 50 km on the odometer. Oh, Spock Jr. -- it's a little Vulcan (don't tell my wife I said this - she figures it's a reeeaaaalllllyyyyy bad pun). Officially, I don't name my bikes.

She will get her license next year (she has never had a license of any kind so she is on the graduated licensing program her in Alberta). She will take the same safety course I took this year. Then we will be off exploring together.

Nice write-up. I envy you guys who have wives that ride their own bike! Is that what they call "marrying right"?

Not that I have anything to complain about....

Back