• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Originally posted by Gizmo Bought my first street motorcycle a Kawasaki 200 in 1983 which my first wife was never thrilled with so to keep the peace I reluctantly sold it two years later. Fast forward to 1997 a renewed life and a wonderful new wife who after numerous times hearing me ogle over various motorcycles, said "why don't you just buy the damn thing".
Dear Bruce, You should have gotten rid of your first wife instead of your bike. Glad you eventually found a good woman. As for your closing salutation 'regards, ride safe' , My motto is 'Drive fast, take chances, and talk back to the cops' Living by this code has worked for me surprizingly well.

JULIE said:
Dear Bruce, You should have gotten rid of your first wife instead of your bike. Glad you eventually found a good woman. As for your closing salutation 'regards, ride safe' , My motto is 'Drive fast, take chances, and talk back to the cops' Living by this code has worked for me surprizingly well.

Hi Julie,

Yeah when I got the bike or me line, I should have said bye! Oh well hindsight is 20/20, but have not wasted any time making up for lost time. I like your motto, but suspect it will work better for you than me with regards to the cops.

Re: Re: Another Shot

BMWGypsy said:
:wave Hi my old bike! Glad you are being ridden! Oh, hi to you too, Veg! ;)

Gee Stace,

You didn't always seem so enamored with the bike.

I bet this brings back some memories...

1327012-M.jpg

Best,

Cool picture Rob! What's the story it tells?

Despite the fact that all but one of the ten or eleven vehicles I've owned have been used purchases, it feels weird seeing a shot from my new toy's past (but I like it- got any more?).

Took a nice pleasant afternoon ride today and the bike says HI too Stacey :D!

P.S. That oil leak was dispatched with a new O-ring and shim.

The Veg said:
Cool picture Rob! What's the story it tells?

Despite the fact that all but one of the ten or eleven vehicles I've owned have been used purchases, it feels weird seeing a shot from my new toy's past (but I like it- got any more?).

Took a nice pleasant afternoon ride today and the bike says HI too Stacey :D!

P.S. That oil leak was dispatched with a new O-ring and shim.

I took that picture a few years ago on the Black Fly Tour. I was riding an oilhead and Stacey was on the airhead. The gentleman in the leathers rides an r100rs with the Maine plate of oldphrt. There was good airhead / oilhead ribbing going all weekend as we had a great time riding together. At this stop something had rattled loose on Stacey's bike.

It was all in good fun and a great Memorial Day weekend tour.

Best,

Rob Nye

My turn.......

Hello everyone,

My name is Richard Pelton, from Killdeer, ND, way up here in the northland, where it is cold as much as it is warm! First off, hats off to the folks behind these forums, I think I have been through most of them and can't get enough, just like riding. I own a 2004 R1150RT, my second BMW, the first being an R80RT, 1986 model. That bike made me a fan of BMW forever. I have had 16 bikes to date, pretty much every brand there is. I am married with 4 children, and feel like the luckiest guy on earth. I am a master electrician, my wife is a nurse, and the kids are healthy and well mannered, what more can a guy ask for. Even though we live in the sparsely populated area of the states, to me it is the only place to raise a family, and my biggest worry is wondering when it will be warm enough again to ride. I have only been to one national rally, that being in Rapid City, SD. I have been through the years of "the kids are too young to leave for any length of time" and I am ready for some serious stuff. I plan on hitting some rallies next summer, with the national being at the top of the list. I was fortunate this summer with my job going to a 4 x 10 schedule, so with the wife working and the kids busy with their things, I had lots of time to ride. So much in fact I just had to buy this new BMW. Life is good, enjoy it to the fullest. Rich

Attachments

• me and 04.jpg
    me and 04.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,091
Hey Rich good to meet you.I grew up in Winnipeg.We were very aware of the misile silos just south of us.We used to cross to Minot and Grand Forks just for weekend fun.
I am looking at a NEW new bike too.I presume you checked out the K's before plumping for the R.What helped you make up your mind?
I am a R guy too,but the K 's do not appear to be slouches@ 130 hp!!

Thank you, Mr. Swider! I agree with you 100 %!!

Rally Rat, I see you have a fine ride now, with the R100RT, I have a friend with that same year bike, and it is very fine indeed. Yeah, I did give a good look at the K's, especially the K1200GT. But like you, I am a twin guy. I guess one word says why. Simplicity. And I just can't develop a love for the K sound. I'm bound to hear it from the K fans, but to me you just can't beat the sound of the BMW twin. And when it comes down to it, why does a guy need 130 HP? The 1150 will do anything you ask of it. Just my opinion, of course. Good luck with your decision. And lets get together and ride next summer. We just don't live that far apart. Especially in BMW miles. Again, good luck.

Rich

Hi there , my name is Scott . Started riding in 1966 on a 1952 Harley K 45 (they went to 55 cu.in. a year or two later) Been riding ever since , except for my time with our favorite uncle, Sam. Logged almost 30 years on a 1967 shovelhead . went through a couple of Evo FLH's a 1988 and a 1995. Got a 1988 K-75 in 1996 and soon sold the 95 FLH. Got a 1998 R1100gs and rode the crap out of it. Last year the GS got traded off for a R1150R . I still have the K75-S and ride it daily, it is my commuter now. Ride daily rain or shine . Have been a MOA menmber for 6 years now. Live in what was once a sleepy farm town of Tracy ,CA.. It is now a hideous, bloated bedroom comunity. I work as a machnist/technician for a national labratory in Livermore Ca. I usually travel solo but may attend the Spokane rally if I am in the area. I have friends in Sand point and Nampa Idaho. Hope to see some of you folks there. I am opiniated , cynical , crotchety and tend to be generally difficult. Hope that is ok with everyone. SCOTT

OH no!

Hey Scott - didn't you read the fine print. NO ONE who is opinionated is allowed on any of these forums. Right.
From your discription, you ought to fit right in with the rest of us. Gotta question for you: Since you live in California, are we snow folks gonna have to put up with you posting pictures of your January rides in blinding sunshine by the ocean???
(Just took my honey's Duc 750 Monster out for a little spin in the 42 degree warm front moving through Michigan!)

Hey Cliffy , no , I will not post winter ride pics .I don't know how to even if I wanted to . However I feel your winter pain as I was born and raised in Milwaukee Wi. And yeah I did go for a spin today. Just a little 175 mi loop in the delta region near were I live. temp. about 52 and foggy . Two summers ago I rode to Milwaukee to visit my sister. Continued on up to the U.P. and into Ontario , FABULOUS country . Re entered the states in North Dakota. Spent a great evening in Williston N.D. Lot of Lewis and Clark buffs . Was I near you Rich ? Hey I'm starting to ramble and I HATE ramblers.
SCOTT

Scott said:
Was I near you Rich ?

You were 90 miles from me, Scott. I get to Williston very frequently with my job, and it does have a lot of history there. Next time you are through, swing my way, I'm always up for company. Glad you enjoyed the ND part of your ride, not too many people admit that!:p

New bike

After riding my new '04 RT since last August I traded it in this week for a new '05 K 1200 LT. I do a lot of two up riding so I decided to move up to the K bike. I had never even test ridden a K bike so when I picked up the bike this past week I was wondering if I made the right decision. The RT is a great ride so I wondered if I would get lost on the K luxury. I live about 350 miles from the dealer so I got to feel it out right away. When you get behind the wheel you feel like the front is way out there compared to the RT, but it steers very well after my fears about how it suppose to be a monster in the parking lots, must be the new trail extenstion on the 05. After about 10 miles I felt great. On the highway the bike feels great, moves great and the center of gravity feels lower than the RT. I can't wait to really strech its legs on a long ride. btw, my wife loves the ride!

My name is Ricardo and I live in Mission, TX (southermost tip of Texas close to Brownsville and South Padre Island). I'm on my third BMW, started with a 75/6 and now own a new 1150RT. I ride with the RTE Group (Ride to Eat) mostly on weekends ranging from 150 to 600 mile rides.:brow

Last edited:
I'm not much of a joiner.....

but I think I could join a Ride To Eat group!
Good to hear from you Ricardo - welcome to our special little group. or is it little special group?
Texas is one of my favorite states.

RTE Group

This is a small 15 or so members group of local south Texas riders who ride anything from BMW RTs, K Bikes, Honda ST, and other stuff. We mostly ride on Sundays with short rides being 150 miles or so and long rides being in the 600 mile range. Mostly in deep south Texas ranch country or South Padre Island or to the central Texas (Austin) area for BBQ. Membership is open to anyone wanting to ride and eat. Spring break plans will have us do a Bluebonnet & BBQ run around central Texas, a hill country run, or to Big Bend National Park. Get on the mailing list by emailing my brother (former BMW rider now on his second ST) at the following email address: tspst1300@academicplanet.com:brow

Gizmo said:
Hi,

Bought my first street motorcycle a Kawasaki 200 in 1983 which my first wife was never thrilled with so to keep the peace I reluctantly sold it two years later. Fast forward to 1997 a renewed life and a wonderful new wife who after numerous times hearing me ogle over various motorcycles, said "why don't you just buy the damn thing".

Ha Ha! How many times have I heard that story? Heard it and lived it. I too gave up my ride to "keep the peace", back in 87 it was, for the same reason. Then in 98 made a promise to myself I'd be back in the saddle by 2000 (my 50th b-day) as things weren't going to well with the marriage at that point anyway, figured I didn't have anything to lose and a lot to gain. By spring of 99 I had found Tas Tier (my '73 R60). She had just been sitting forlornly in the back of a garage for several years, she needed me and I needed her! So I talked her owner out of her for a song (and some cash). She looked like hell, ripped seat, rusted chrome, little bits missing, but nothing important, etc. but I knew airheads and I knew I could get her running again, what can I say? The way she looked at me with her one big, cracked, grime encrusted eye. It was love at first sight. Put in new plugs, new points, gave her a tune-up and did a carb rebuild, and well... we've seen many a mile together since, with many more still to go. No longer have the wife, but my current SO rides so not worries there! Then in late 99 bought my second airhead, hey everybody deserves two, if not more, right? Got 12 lost years to make up for. Next in line will prob. be a /2 with earls forks.
I know now I'll never give up riding long as I can hold one up at a stop.
When I get too old for that, I'll get me a moped :bliss

RM

Back