• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Me and My Tractor

Hello! My name is Dave Plogman, from Auburn, NY (Finger Lakes Region) this is my '86 R80RT. Converted from a R80 standard, repainted, including white Krausers and tailbox. 97K miles. Originally from Cincinnati, then Wichita, Atlanta, Nashville to Upstate NY. I'm 39, married with a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 1 month old girl. Been to 5 nationals and a few local rallys. 18th year riding- no accidents!

Favorite rides include NY Rt 30 to the Vermont rally, Adirondacks, Ozarks and Natchez Trace Parkway. Most miles these days are commuting trips, with occasional loops around Skaneateles Lake.

We are lucky to have such a great sport. My car driving friends don't know what fun they're missing!

Attachments

• dave and r80rt.jpg
    dave and r80rt.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,764
Last edited:
Re: Me and My Tractor

daver80 said:
I'm 39, married with a 2 1/2 year old future rider boy and a 1 month old girl. Been to 5 nationals and a few local rallys. 18th year riding- no accidents!

What? No predictions on the daughter riding? :confused:

I hope you knocked on wood when you typed that 18 year stat. :D

Re: Me and My Tractor

daver80 said:
Hello! My name is Dave Plogman, from Auburn, NY (Finger Lakes Region) this is my '86 R80RT. Converted from a R80 standard, repainted, including white Krausers and tailbox. 97K miles. Originally from Cincinnati, then Wichita, Atlanta, Nashville to Upstate NY. I'm 39, married with a 2 1/2 year old (future rider) boy and a 1 month old (future rider) girl. Been to 5 nationals and a few local rallys. 18th year riding- no accidents!

Favorite rides include NY Rt 30 to the Vermont rally, Adirondacks, Ozarks and Natchez Trace Parkway. Most miles these days are commuting trips, with occasional loops around Skaneateles Lake.

We are lucky to have such a great sport. My car driving friends don't know what fun they're missing!
Good looking bike.:)

My name is Dennis Wyman, age 51, married to the wonderful Sharon. Two kids, full grown (?). Started riding in'72 once in a while. In '77 bought my own bike, Suzuki GS750. Kept it for about 6 years, till lovely bride wanted it gone. Turned to boating till '94 when urge to ride got big time (brother & step-father both had BMW's). Step-father made offer couldn't refuse; pay half the insuranace on the R80 and she's yours for the summer. Still have that bike. Before summer was done had made a great deal for it (thanks pops). Have a '91 K100RS which is my primary ride right now. Just starting to get into the longer rides and finding that I really enjoy it. Also get to ride my wife's Hondas. Haven't learned enough about computers yet for pictures, when I do I'll try to add some. Think this is really a great addition to the MOA site. Kudo's to the people who organized this. Forgot, live in Vassar, MI and work for Delphi as a skilled trades ldr. Maybe I'll try that picture thing.

Hey All,

I'm a new BMW owner and member. My name is Brodie Crawford, I'm 31 years old, and I live here in Brooklyn, NY with my lovely wife Marielle. I work in New York City as a Sales Consultant for an educational company, and Marielle is a botanist who works for the New York City Parks Department (apparently there are lots of parks around here). We don't have kids (yet).

I got my first taste of riding when I was about 18, on various mopeds and scooters, which friends of mine were stupid enough to loan out to me. I decided pretty quickly that I would someday own a motorcycle, but it ended up taking a while. I went to college, where I had no money, followed by grad school (some people never learn) in Scotland, where I lived for 3 years. After returning home to the States, I still had my dream, and pretty soon was enrolled in an MSF course to get my license. My first bike was a Yamha XJ600S (Seca II), and since it was my only vehicle, I put about 250 miles per week on it commuting, plus a few great little road trips. Meanwhile one of my old friends from the scooter/moped days had moved up to a BMW R100RS, and he talked about reliable and fun they were, and how great the community of Beemer owners was...

By the time I sold my Yamaha a few years later, I had gotten married, and I already knew that I wanted a Beemer, a super-reliable bike that could go a long, long way without a ton maintenance. Besides, after a few years of cleaning chain lube off the back of my jacket, I knew that shaft drive was King, and I wanted to get something that would be comfortable on the highway. My wife's only experience riding pillion had been on the 600cc Yamaha, and I needed to convince her that motorcycling did not have to be a painful ordeal, or I was going to have to be taking trips alone. So, a few months ago, while shopping for a used Beemer, I fell in love with a beautiful '85 K100RS, and a couple of weeks after that, I was riding it home, marveling at how incredible it was to be on a real road bike.

I have a few other interests, like running, WWII History, and a couple of beers in my neighborhood, but nothing will ever consume me like motorcycles. Part of why I enjoy talking with other bikers is that we all understand the incredible feeling of getting on a bike, firing it up, and letting the everyday stuff drop away as we live in the moment, at least for as long as the ride. I feel like if I had not followed through on my interest in riding, I'd be missing out on a more complete life.

Anyways, since I'm new to the club, I don't know anyone, but hope to meet some of you in upcoming rallies and such. I'm contemplating a certain career move that, if it goes through, would leave me with summers off for the duration of my career, so I'm counting on becoming quite a touring rider. I just bought my K bike a few weeks ago, so I don't have a picture of myself with it, but attached is a pic of the bike...

All the best,
Brodie
:)

Attachments

• beemer leftside.jpg
    beemer leftside.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,752
Welcome, Brodie.

I provide you this at no cost to you . . . :brow ;)

p.s. -- When you're scanning a print you can crop the image before it is saved to your pc, thus eliminating the white space around the edges.

Attachments

• brodiek100.jpg
    brodiek100.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,729
Last edited:
Re: Pic cropping

Brickhead said:
Thanks Harvey! :idea

So Brodie the Brickhead... :p

Practice your newly-acquired scanning skills. How about a nice pic of you and your better half with the bike?

Ian

Eric Blume said:
My real desire at that time was a R65LS, which was way outside of my budget range.

I resurected nice motorcycle from a basket-case Moto Guzzi

Nice write-up. I, too, lusted after the R65LS. Went through a couple Suzukis then bought a left over Moto Guzzi. Not an LS but close enough. I sold that and bought a basketcase R75. But when I got it back together I sold it and stuck with the KLR600 I was riding in the meantime. Maybe someday I will get that LS afterall. Let's here it for retirement! 15 years, 3 months and counting.

MarkF

Hell-o All,
My name is Alan Howard and I live in a little town in the SW corner of Colorado with my beautiful wife (she might read this) and the youngest of my 4 sons.

I love motorcycles (in a fraternal kind of way). My first experience on a bike was when I was around 14 years old - and a neighbor let me try out his Honda 305 (I think) in our yard. 1st gear - started ok- 2nd gear never let off the throttle - took off like a shot - missed several trees - drove full speed into the side of the brick house next door. I was hooked.

Later I bought a used Bonneville custom while in college and learned how to shift gears. Much Better. Somebodys grandmother pulled out in front of me at an intersection and I T-boned her (actually her car). Her insurance company bought me a new Bonneville and I strapped a cheap back pack to the sissy bar (ever seen a sissy bar on a beemer?) and drove north from Virginia and took a left at Montreal. Ended up in Rock Springs, WY. Now I'm really hooked!

Anyway, after an an old R75/5, Suzuki 850 GS, Yammie 175 Enduro and growing four kids I bought a new 99 Duc ST-4. Yee Ha! Which I have only crashed once! I'm kinda old for that face in the speedometer riding position and I needed a set of heated grips with a shaft drive, so I joined BMW MOA and got a R1150GS to triple the roads I can drive on in this country. Iv'e had it two months and I've only crashed once!

I've been skulking (lurking?) around the forum and thought I ought to pay my dues.

This is my GS in the Slick Rock country in Western Colorado.

(I hope that old guy don't crash my bike!)

Attachments

• ah&gs.jpg
    ah&gs.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,556
Hello

My name is Dale Watts, I live in Shreveport, LA new to area orginally from Fort Worth, TX and new to BMWs. I started riding Dirt bikes in the early 80s. Got hooked to off rode riding but just was never interested in riding on the road. I then moved to England for a few years and gave up riding all tegether. Returned to TX in mid 90s and developed an interest in a street bike. My brother has been riding since he was 15 y/o, I got the bug late in life. Bought a new 1200 Bandit, great bike for comuting and around town. I started comuting to work every day on the bike from Fort Worth to Dallas, 55 miles one way, and the occacational weekend ride. My brother kept telling me stories of trips to Mexico, Colorado, and New Mexico, which got me to dreaming about a GS, He rides GS/PD. Then I crashed on I-30 doing about 65 and sled in rush hour traffic on my face about 100 ft, Thank God for full face Helmets. After this I just couldn't face riding for about 3 years. I finially sold the Bandit a few months ago, bought a beautful 92 R100GS, joined the MOA, went Charleston, and now ride every chance I get. I have Mexico in sights in about 2 years. I will be hitting the back roads and fire roads in New Mexico next spring, and my first long rode trip is going to be Spokan. Hope to see all of you there.

Ohio Born Biker

Hello,

My name is Gale Smith. I live just east of Cincinnati, in generally the same area I have lived most of my life. I am new to BMW's, since May, but have been motorcycling for 30 years. I am a field service technician for a dry ice equipment company, and my job requires global travel. I find motorcycling a great way to relieve stress, and to forget about the day or the work trip from hell. I will ride most of the year, snow on the roads being the only limiting factor. I am single and the property of two cats, Ridalin and Dudley. I have begun camping again since I got my R850R, Uncle Sam pretty much made me not want to camp much after I got out of the service. If anyone is ever in this part of the country, and needs a place to crash, let me know, if I am home you are welcome. here is the bike.

Attachments

• my850r.jpg
    my850r.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,521
Hello all - My name is Steve. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA, and have been riding BMWs for a year. Before that, I hadn't ridden since college (20 years). I am married with 5 kids (2 of hers, 3 of mine, ages 7 to 17...no more coming), a golden retriever and a cat. I work for GE in Risk Management. Hobbies (besides riding) including being a music fanatic (just about anything but what they play on Top 40 radio now), and going to whichever kid's athletic event is tonight. The wife and 4 of the 5 kids like to go 2-up as far as I'll take them. My 13-year-old son is already asking if he can ride the R65 when he's old enough. Here's a picture of the daily ride. I had to fiddle with the size to get it small enough, so hopefully it will post OK. Take care.

Attachments

• 101_0194.jpg
    101_0194.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,455
Last edited:
My turn at this

Cliff Yankovich here.
45 years old. Married twice but produced no offspring. Starting riding when I was 18. Crossed the country a couple three times in my youth. Rode Honda 750's because they didn't need to be maintained. A mechanic I am not. Also had a real fun Kaw 250 enduro that I rode to work and on the trails.
Rode for 10 years and then quit for 14.
In 2001 I got a 1984 Honda 450 that was languishing in a barn up and running. The ease in which that was done is a testament to Honda. I put in new oil, plugs, emptied gas tank and put some Magic oil down the spark plug holes. It fired up and ran. Waaaay too small a bike for 6'3" - 225 lb me, but it got the bike lust flowing.
Spent two months or so looking at bikes. Bought a '01 R1100RL cuz I loved the retro look, the way the bike sat and the deal they offered me because it was a"program" bike with 800 miles on it. Put 12k on it and traded it in July 8th of this year for an '04 Rockster of the bronze variety. (Who could turn down .09% financing??)
Love the Rockster even more than the 1100RL. I ride in to the store 6 days a week and for fun on Sundays. I co-own a jewelry store/art gallery in Lowell, Michigan. Small town outside of Grand Rapids.
Outside the daily commute, I have taken the Rocksta on a 600 mile two day spin along the "West Coast" of Michigan where there are some great roads with great views of a Great Lake!
Also do some freelance writing (2 articles in the ON to date) and am almost as passionate about music as motorcycles.
Love my bike and enjoy this forum and the ON.

Here's a pic of the other bike. Gets ridden a couple of times a week.

Attachments

• 101_0195 (2).jpg
    101_0195 (2).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,451
Hey all,
Ben "The Veg" Lower here. The Veg is an old nickname I picked up in the Army and all my long-time friends call me that; maybe you will too someday.
I'm 35 and live in Dallas, TexSux. No wife or kids or pets but I do have a couple of plants in my modest apartment. I don't really claim any type of career since I've never done the same type of work twice (I generally stick with scientific/technical stuff though). Many non-moto interests, but main ones I guess are cooking and foreign/independent films and reading. That and of course trying to find the elusive cute yet brainy sweetie who'll want to ride to the ends of the Earth with me! :D
I came late to riding. Had a few expereinces on a friend's Honda QA50 (I think that's what it was) when I was 13. I was already way too big for it but who cares, I had a blast anyway! Rented a couple of mopeds while on vacations during the teen years, but that was about it- my mom tried very hard to keep me away from motorcycles! I wanted a Harley during college but got tired of that whole world quickly and mostly forgot about motorcycles for a while, but did make a mental note before doing so that a BMW would be the ultimate "anti-Harley."
Back in early 2001 I innocently asked a friend if he was still riding his old bike. He said no, it had sat for a while and he wanted to give it to one of those charities that take old vehicles. I volunteered to take it off his hands instead, which he thought was a better idea since I'm quite mechanically inclined. The bike was a 1985 K100RT. I spent several months doing a top-to-bottom refurb, including stripping it to the frame which was then powdercoated. I replaced pretty much every little bit of rubber, scrubbed all the castings until they couldn't look any better, and painstakingly reassembled my new pride and joy. In the meantime I also took the MSF course. When enough of the bike was together to start it and ride around the parking lot I did so, carefully practising what I learned at MSF- very carefully, since I was going from a 200-lb 125 to a 600+lb 1000. But The Brick was very forgiving and very rewarding. I should also point out that it was only after reassembly that I started its engine for the first time. See the project at : http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/flyinghy4u
I then spent the next two years riding to my heart's content and getting thoroughly hooked! I went to one small rally, rode 800-mile days between Dallas and Denver, daily commutes, grocery runs (*LOVE* parking on the sidewalk next to the door!), etc. Even got to ride around a NASCAR track once!
My riding has fallen on tough times lately though. Back in December '02 I had a lowside accident, thankfully at low speed and I was not injured beyond a big ugly bruise where my leg hooked the saddle. The bike's fairing was destroyed though, and to make a long story short I decided to repair it as a nekkid bike, but not as the OEM standard design. Shortly before the accident the bike was also diagnosed as needing a very expen$ive throttle-body replacement. So it has sat, ridden every week or so to keep the battery charged, since December. To make matters worse I lost my job in early August, and shortly after discovered that the bike is beginning to have the starter-clutch problem that early K's were plagued with. And I no longer have a workspace in which I can do serious disassemblies and repairs.
But I'm not down for good. Just a matter of time before I work again (had some encouraging news this week- wish me luck!), and I've got my eye on my next bike already! I think I may be better off cutting my losses with the K, and a few weeks ago I got to test-ride a 1994 R100R and I fell in love with it. So the tentative plan for now is to get me one once the paychecks are flowing again, and of course to ride it until I just can't ride no more! :bliss

"Nothing can stop you now!" -Rush, lyric from Ghost Rider

Last edited:
Nice Work

Hey Veg,
enjoyed your slideshow on the bike fix up. Sorry to learn of your misfortunes of late, but thumbs up for your positive attitude in the face of doo-doo! hang in there - hope you are employed and the proud owner of the r100r you have your heart set on.

Back